2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

665 results found

1. Placeholder Text Feature

Seeing as InDesign has interactive PDFs in mind giving us the ability to create forms easily and then export them as a PDF to open in Acrobat, I feel like a feature to inset placeholder text to fields shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

To clarify, I was hoping to find an option under the Buttons and Forms toolbox that allows us to check off a box for placeholder text so when someone types in the field the original text there is overwritten with the new content. Like a "W" for width and an "L" for length in field boxes…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Apply 2 Masters (spread) to a Single Page (tabloid)

There are currently no solutions that I am aware of to sync a Left and Right Master into a larger tabloid page size. This is different from simply using a parent relationship among several master pages. A larger page size (digital friendly) cannot be complied from smaller master pages (print friendly). The ability to apply multiple master pages or master page items as "zones" would probably be ideal as it would allow flexibility for more customization on different page sizes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Convert / Merge Spreads into Larger Tabloid Pages within InDesign

Many of us are using InDesign to output digital formats as well as print. The inability to convert spreads in large documents that involve things like complex tiered master page assignments and interactive elements between print friendly spreads and digital friendly tabloid page layouts is a major pain. A non-destructive way to move back and forth would dramatically simplify digital exports, and ensure a clean single large page digital presentation to the end user without hassling with software adjustments to view spreads correctly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow user to change default color of Ruler Guides

For those of us with color-blindness issues (and it's my belief that there's a lot more of us than you think...), there really needs to be a simple preference switch for the default Ruler Guide color to be changeable. It should be so simple to just go into Prefs & select the guide color we can actually see, then simply carry on working. But currently it's a complete ball-ache every time to have to go into 'Layout > Ruler Guides > Change color > Ok'. The current 'long-way-round' change guide color process is just an added frustration to every job!…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Double page / spread preview

I would appreciate a double page / spread preview for single page documents. That would allow me to work with single pages to achieve certain bleed needs (example: single printed menu card sheets that need bleed all around - but still show as double pages inside the menu book) while still being able to see the layout as a whole. That saves the time of sticking the pages together and separating them afterwards again.

This requests asks for a different approach, but I assume for the same purpose: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31305193-auto-speads-into-pages

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow for Custom location/settings of strokes on any shape.

Like in tables or text boxes, I would like to see the Rectangle tool (or polygon, or multi-sided pen tool creation) to be able to choose which side has a Stroke (colour &, thickness, etc).

I have a rectangle that I have cut one corner off of and want it to tuck into the corner of another rectangle. so I don't need the strokes to display for the bottom or side, but do for the top/ 45deg angle (right). Seems simple enough, but gets more when there are many sides to the shape... what's the limit you offer customization too?…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Cover building tool

It would be great if InDesign had a tool for easily building covers. Something as simple as allowing variable column widths so that you could input the width of C1, C4,spine, and the width of the joins on either side!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Style de paragraphe > option d'enchainement

option d'enchainement solidaire avec le paragraphe suivant également serait efficace. J'aimerais pouvoir lier un titre au paragraphe texte qui le suit

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Custom Columns

When setting up margins and layout it would be great if the user could customize the width of individual columns. For instance I start a new document that's 8.5 x 11 with 2 columns and a gutter that's .25. At some point, either the initial document creation or after, it would be amazing to change the width of one of the columns and in so doing it adjust the width of the other column while keeping the gutter the same. This would help for much more dynamic, asymmetrical and feel visually more organized than simply bringing in rulers. Horizontal rows…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Keyboard command for resizing content within a picture box

Quark allows one to resize an image within a picture box using key commands. Could this key command please be added to ID. It's wonderful: To resize a picture in 5% increments using keyboard shortcuts, press Command+Option+Shift+> (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+> (Windows). To enlarge,and Command+Option+Shift+< (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+< (Windows) to reduce.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Layer comps (Different View States)

I need to be able to easily export different view states of the same LARGE documents that get incremental updates, showing and hiding different layers and objects depending on who the exported file will be going to.

Having the option to use Layer Comps would allow for different view states to be enabled for each export.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add text wrapping feature to combo box for interactive pdf drop down boxes with statements/questions.

I am trying to create an interactive pdf interview guide for my company. We would like to have the possible questions they can ask in a drop down format to help ensure the same question isn't asked by multiple people. I need to be able to add more characters to the combo box, then I also need them to automatically text wrap so that the text isn't displayed as a tiny line of text that isn't readable. I think Excel allows you to create drop downs with sentences that will wrap text.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Re-sizing pages in an Indesign book all at one time, currently have to re-size each file

Make option to Re-size pages in an Indesign book all at one time, currently have to re-size each file(page). very time consuming.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Preference to always select pages when placing multi-page PDF

When placing a multi-page PDF there should be a preference to always show import options. When I place a multi-page Word file I don’t only get the first page, I get the whole document. I should at least have the option to do this with PDFs.

I am aware that I can access Show Import Options when placing a file through a dialogue, but that is an extra step and it is unavailable when using drag-and-drop.

Please add a preference to “Show Import Options When Placing Multi-page Graphic Files.”

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Change 'Object Layer Options' on multiple images at the same time

It would be a massive time save if it were possible to change the Object Layers Options on multiple images at the same time.
    We build four layer products images in PS with layers across all images named the same:
    Product, FlatShadow, StandingShadow, Reflection
    When we have 40 products on the page and the customer decides they want the products all to have a reflection, at the moment we have to switch each images Reflection layer on singly. Then in the next round the customer may decide they want no Reflection or Shadow at all. Again we have to switch…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add option of "Maximum Space Before First Footnote"

Add option of "Maximum Space Before First Footnote" to set the max space between the story text and the footnotes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. export to after effects layers

would be great for workflow if it would be possible to import indesign into after effects like photoshop or illustrator files.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. GPU preview keeps switching off

I generally make use of the GPU preview functionality built into InDesign, but recently I've noticed that files keep reverting to 'Preview on CPU'. I can't see any way of preventing this so I'm wondering if it's a bug'.

It's not a speed issue for me so much as a preview issue. Without GPU preview switched on, imported images look way too bright with particularly garish reds. I'm hoping it's a software thing rather than a graphics card on the way out. Any ideas anyone?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rulers ON by default, as a choice

Would like to be able to turn rulers ON by default, no matter what document I'm opening, creating, whatever. I see this was mentioned in the Illustrator side, and it applies just as much for InDesign.

I know it's a simple key stroke away, but document after document after document, all day long, gets old quickly.

Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base