Bug details

Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line in the Indesign file has no space after the tab, resulting in a wrong placement of the "غ" (= Arabic "g") as marked red in the screen shot.
Sample file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/15db51rlwen8ehg/SFDA-test.indd?dl=0

3 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Koen Bats shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zaid Al Hilali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    I tested on Mac OSX 10.14 and InDesign CC 2019 (v.14.0.1) and just like Koen mentioned, the figures displays well in InDesign, but upon exporting to PDF the figures shifts its position!

  • Uwe Laubender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    Also did a test with InDesign CS6 version 8.1.0 on the same Windows 10 machine.
    I see the same bugs. No problem with export to PDF/X-1a, moving glyphs with export to PDF/X-4.

    Regards,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

  • Uwe Laubender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    Hi together,
    I can confirm this bug with my German InDesign version CC 2019 14.0.1.209 on Windows 10.
    See this discussion at Adobe InDesign Forum:

    Arabic weight statements jump to the wrong side in the table when exporting pdf
    koenraad.bats@ds-n.com Feb 11, 2019
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10923322#10923322

    See into the screenshots of my results here:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10923640#10923640

    I also tested the PDF/X-4 export preset without using layer export. This also failed.
    Only export to PDF/X-1a did it right.

    Regards,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

Feedback and Knowledge Base