Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. Index Entry Crash

Working in InDesign CC 2018. Revising a single chapter of 1300+ page book. InDesign CC 2018 crashes every time I try to create a new index entry. I've installed the BugFxes for Mac, deleted preferences, restarted machine, etc. Trying to create new index entry crashes each chapter even when working in each chapter individually. InDesign CC 2017 did not have this problem. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.1.2(v15.1.2.226) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Perplexed translation – Czech version of InDesign CC

Hello, please correct Czech UI of InDesign CC - InDesign preferences, Text panel, first line:

InDesign CS6: "Používat typografické uvozovky" (it is correct, it means "Use typographic quotation marks", the grammar form is consistent with UI)

InDesign CC2020: "Použijte Typographer’s & Quotes" (it means nothing, it is a mixture of Czech and English words, the grammar form is not consistent with UI because it is using the imperative form instead of the infinitive). The closest translation to English would be "Use typografovy a uvozovky!"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer that upgrading to latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 the issue is resolved.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

4. InDesign totally unusable for large threaded tables after 2015 version

Using Windows 10 Pro, high end computer (Ryzen 1800X, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti)

Create an Excel file with 8000 rows of random data, place into InDesign with as unformatted table.

Use shift-click to create pages and thread the table to each page.

Try to scroll without InDesign freezing for 30 seconds. I can't.

I have tried:
    - Cleaning preferences / logging on different username to have a fresh profile
    - Using a different computer
    - Turning off preflight
    - Using fast display performance
    - Change the composer away from world ready, trying single line instead of paragraph
    - Turned…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

6. Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. Repeatable InDesign Crash with Open Office Data in the Clipboard

I am running InDesign CC, the current version as of March 2018, however I have seen this same bug in older versions of the program. It is not unique to this version.

We use Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0. If there is ANYTHING in the clipboard copied from ANY part of Open Office, it will cause a repeatable InDesign crash. The clipboard data could be text from the OpenOffice Writer program or cell data from the OpenOffice Calc program...it doesn't matter.

With Open Office data in the clipboard, if I attempt to use any of the right-click menus, or choose an item…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest March ’18 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. InDesign crashes while moving pages between 2 documents

when I use the "move pages" command the program stops responding and stops working. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using google translator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

9. Indesign 2018 is a disaster, full of bugs and crashes at any time. This was a good program, but now it's just a misery. Costs both time and

Indesign 2018 is a disaster, full of bugs and crashes at any time.
    This was a good program, but now it's just a misery. Costs both time and money.
    I will work with older versions in the future and hope that any new player will find a better software.

It would not be wrong with a phone number on the website, but you're probably ashamed.

Peter

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

10. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

12. Color Mode listings are all out of order

The order of Color Mode options (Pantone, TOYO, etc.) are listed in a seemingly random order after updating to InDesign CC 2018 (13.0).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign CC 2018 crashes when copying textbox with anchored object into Photoshop CC 2018 document

InDesign crashes when I copy a textbox with an anchored object from Indesign document into Photoshop document

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Issue is fixed with InDesign’s latest 13.1 update.
    Please upgrade your InDesign for the resolution of the issue.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik

14. Using InDesign CC 2017.1 Release trouble clicking, double clicking and selecting text

trouble clicking, double clicking, and selecting text
    Random.
    I have to go into story editor to fix text

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Not enough contrast in Check Spelling dialogue box

InDesign CC 2017's Check Spelling results interface is fairly unreadable. In the "Not in Dictionary" and "Uncapitalized Sentence" box, more contrast is needed between the text and background shading. This is true in all appearance settings (dark, medium, light).
    Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Extensions option not showing in "Window" menu

The extensions option is not showing in the "Window" menu. When I go to Edit-> Menu I can see it as a visible option, but it does not show up. Please provide troubleshooting steps as I need to load a local extension into inDesign.

Version: 18.1 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Error encountered while reading TIFF image

Adobe Indesign 2023 (v18).
    When render TIFF images from Blender using the Deflate (ZIP) option.
    All other compression options gives images with black background and no transparency.
    Up to v17 Indesign 2022 these images imported just fine.
    When doing a resave in Photoshop with no changes, the images imports fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign 17.0 crashes on launch after removing a previously installed CEP Extension

Steps to reproduce in InDesign 17.0:

1. Install a CEP extension folder manually to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions
    2. Launch then quit InDesign
    3. Delete CEP extension folder installed in step 1
    4. Launch InDesign, it will crash when "Starting up panels"

As a workaround deleting the following cache folder allows InDesign to launch again.
    ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 17.0

This was not an issue in ID 16.4

InDesign 17.0
    Intel Mac running macOS 11.6.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.1.105). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. export to pdf destination folder changes after creating "share for review" copy

After creating "share for review" copy, when I try to export to PDF, the "save to" destination folder changes to: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 16.0-ME\en_US\Caches\Artifact
    I guess it's becuase the "share for review" feature creates also a PDF copy of the book. but it's annoying to be forced to navigate again and again to my project's folder.
    i'm using the latest version 16.3 (middle east locale). windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Crashes when font file is moved *every single time*

This will crash InDesign (and Illustrator and Photoshop) every single time without fail, all cc 2020 apps I've tested, specifically:

InDesign 15.0.2, Illustrator 24.1, Photoshop 21.1.2

I'm using OSX 10.15.3 Catalina

Try this:

–add a font to ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/ to install. Works with any font, but for example try Adobe's own wonderfully designed Source Serif Pro
    –make a new document in InDesign, set some text in that font, eg: Source Serif Pro-Regular, save document (or don't save, same result)
    –move the font file, eg: SourceSerifPro-Regular.otf to a sub folder, eg: ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/AnotherFolder/
    –app will crash EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Once again, this happens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

This has been fixed in latest version of InDesign. Please update your application from Creative Cloud Desktop.

Thanks

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base