Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

5. Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

6. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

User confirmed that the issue is resolved with the latest update, on being contacted via email by Adobe staff member.

10. help

Indesign help takes me to webpage that does not exist.
    http://community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME

Browser shows:
    Safari can’t open the page “‎community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Workspace dissapears when selecting objects

When selecting objects with the mouse cursor or selecting text, the workspace disappears and everything becomes white. Once the process is finished, everything appears normal again.
    I use Adobe Indesign 19.1, macOS14.2.1, Apple M1 Max 32GB.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Style Packs

i have adobe indesign 19.0.1
    i don't have "Style Packs" in windows menu under styles
    why?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Redefine style changes Grep Style

When redefining a style based on changes to an existing style (and that existing style has a GREP style in use), the style parameters of the style or grep style are changed. Whereas, if you edit a style directly and apply the same changes, the grep style is unaffected. See video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the 1st case in your video, you have applied a local override to the Style by changing. That's why you see a + in the name of the Style. When you Redefine that Style, the overrides go away and the Style gets redefined with the new attributes.

However, in the 2nd case, you are Editing the Style directly by opening the Style dialog. So any changes you make in the dialog automatically becomes part of the Style itself and there is no need to Redefine it from the panel menu.

It is working correctly.

--

Adobe InDesign team

14. eyedropper + shift

Eyedropper tool bug, when I'm trying to use the optionnal command "Shift" (the eyedropper become a target), it supposed to grab only color, which is not the case on 19.0 on mac, it seems to work as a normal eyedropper :s

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "O" button popup is blocking use of small text box anchorpoint.

This problem happens when attempting to resize small rectangle text boxes (smaller than .9") with the bottom/center anchorpoint. When clicking directly on the anchorpoint, instead of being able to drag it up or down to resize, a small pop-up box appears by the "O" symbol that has a check box for "All Small Caps." this disallows me to resize. I'm not clicking the "O." I'm clicking directly on the bottom/center anchorpoint.

This problem affects my workflow every time I use Indesign. I have to instead use the top anchorpoint and reposition. Please reconfigure where the "O" button appears on a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. indesign 16.0 - new bug - text-wrap with image not correct

If i place an image into a frame and set text-wrap on that frame, it works correct and text breaks fine. If however i set the same text-wrap on the image (double click image or select content) instead of the frame, it will not wrap the text at the correct width. See attached screenshot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The values that are shown in the Text Wrap panel & also the Frame Fitting Options dialog for Crop amounts relate to the inherent image size, not to the size it appears within InDesign – that is, they refer to the image as though it were placed at 100% scale. That means it’s based on the image resolution and the scaling at which it is placed.
    To see how this works, when you place an image, just click on the document – it will come at its 100% scale. Now select the Image contents, open the Text Wrap panel, and input 30mm in one of the fields, the value will be correct. Now scale down the image contents to 50% of its size – now measure the text wrap – it will be roughly 15mm in size.

Hope it helps.

InDesign team

17. Missing strikethrough, replace text, and highlight options on share for review web link

We're using the public (with password) share for review option for our annual report because we didn't want one-time reviewers to have to make an account.

I thought that's why I was only seeing the draw and thumbtack options on the online review. But after updating InDesign the options appeared today. And then they disappeared again and I can't get them to come back.

I hope this feature can be fixed. It was so much easier to make the updates from the comments then emailed edits and scans of people markups that they PDF'd.

We had one other issue before,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. resize group is copying the group

With the new CC2021 I have a group of objects. Trying to resize them not only resizes them but copies the entire group leaving the old group in place!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 2021 (InDesign 16.0) locked when left unattended for an hour.

This was installed for me overnight, and appeared to be running as expected. When I left my computer running for an hour while I ate lunch I came back to find the application locked. When I tried to force it to quit the entire machine locked, and I was required to force it to shut down and restart.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Share for review Icon is hiding content.

The share for review icon is hiding my text in InDesign.

Often I get text updated and users place the icon on top of the words.
    When I want to update the text, it is very difficult to see the text to update as the icon is placed right on top. Would be nice if I could move the icon a little.

Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base