Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. eyedropper not working correctly

That's version 14.0.1.209

When I create a NEW document — there is no problem, the eyedropper working correctly.
    BUT...
    When I work in a document that was previously in an earlier version (for example, CC 2018), then this problem is present.

If I CREATE a new text box in a document that has been re-saved from an earlier version (IC 2018), then the eyedropper will not work correctly.

If I CREATE a new text box in a NEW document (CCP 2019), and then transfer it to an old document, then the eyedropper in the new box will not work.

If…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Indesign 14.0 (x64) - Windows 10 pro x64 - Core i7 4770k - 32Go DDR3

Bonjour, juste après avoir utilisé l'outil LIGNE, le logiciel se ferme. cette panne est arrivée avec la dernière mise à jour.
    Merci de votre retour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. blocks are moved to another layer

When grouped blocks are moved to another layer and then ungrouped, they return to their original layer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a Feature of InDesign and not a bug.

If you want to stop this from happening, go to the Layers panel flyout menu and uncheck the option called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. When this option is unchecked, the ungrouped items remain on the same layer as they were (when grouped) and will not return to their original layer.

Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

6. Adobe PDF (Interactive)

Error when exporting to Adobe PDF (Interactive)
    Indesign v14.0
    Mac OS x 10.13.6
    Choose File > Export > Format select: Adobe PDF (Interactive) > click 'Save' > Click 'Export' > Error appears above 'Generating PDF' modal window.

Error reads: "Failed to Export the PDF file." no code or explanation. See screenshot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Content Aware Constantly Crashes

Windows 10 - i7 6700 with a Nvidia Quadro graphics card, and 16gb RAM.

Layout images in a spread and some dummy text.
    Select image and press teh Content aware fit button
    InDesign crashes

Expected result
    Image fits with no crashing

Actual result
    InDesign crashes everytime

It's a newly created document.

Images are stored on server - thought this was the problem - moved all images to desktop - still crashes.

Saved the file to IDML and opened that and resaved it.

Reset the preferences

Shut down/End Task of all non-essential programms, including anti-virus.

CC2019 build 14.0

File attached (embedded…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Step and repeat Bug

Step and repeat is not working correctly.

If you have an object, whilst holding option, drag the object to a new position and release, the object is duplicated. This works correctly. If i then select Duplicate from the Edit menu, it should repeat the the last duplication. It does not! It uses the last step and repeat measurement. This is a bug.

This is using indesign 2019.

The bug is not in indesign 2018, it works correctly here

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign CS6 Hangs with customized plug-ins

Hello,
    Our company develops InDesign plug-ins as our product. Now we have a hanging problem when dealing with one InDesign document. The problem happens on both Windows and macOS.
    According to the log collected on Mac, InDesign CS6 hangs at com.adobe.InDesign.Text. We cannot find a way to fix it so far. This problem stopped us to support our customers.

Could you please have a check why the hanging happens?

We made a simple document to reproduce the problem. The plug-ins inside "InDesign-CS6-Windows-Plugins" are used to make InDesign CS6 open the document without crash.
    The detail steps are:
    1. On Windows,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Crash ID2018 with a right click

InDesign 2018 (latest update) on macOS Sierra (latest update) crashes when right-clicking a text box with Apple Magic Mouse. Text box could be empty or full, same result. Help please!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Object does not stay in center of document after resizing document format

Hello, I found some weird issues in Indesign CC 13.1 on Mac OS El Capitan.
    When I place an object centerd in the middle of a document (for example
    500 x 500 px) and I resize the document size to for example 700 x 700 px (something larger than 500 x 500), the Object won't stay in the middle, but moves to the right or left border - even I set the reference point within the transform-window to "middle" and also disable "double page".

Why does the object not stay centered at the document format?
    I attached a PDF-File where…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. swatches don't merge when importing paragraph styles

When importing paragraph styles from the CC Library, the swatch colors for the styles get added to already existing swatches creating duplicates rather than merging. By the time all paragraph styles are added, there are 10+ swatches of the exact same color....

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The PANTONE 540 CP swatch, when added in InDesign, is a CMYK ‘Process’ Color swatch – it comes from the PANTONE Color Bridge Coated library. This swatch was used in a Paragraph Style and this style was added to the CC Libraries.

You also created another swatch (a custom swatch) which has the same name – PANTONE 540 CP but it is a CMYK ‘Spot’ Color swatch. This was present in the document when the Paragraph Style (created above) was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel.

When the Paragraph Style was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel, it found that a swatch with the name “PANTONE 540 CP” already exists in the document. Since swatches with the same name but different definitions cannot exist together in a document, it added the incoming swatch with a different name – “PANTONE 540 CP 2”…

13. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

16. AIGPUSniffer

Indesign will not open a new or existing file... The AIGPUSniffer open but will not open a InDesign file. I am on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

18. Indesign freeze my iMac when launching

I can't launch InDesign. It just freeze my entire computer and I am forced to restart the iMac. Any idea?

I reinstalled it and it didn't make any change...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Not responding at update changes Indesign and Incopy in same time

When have modifieds attributes indesign for incopy, if a user click on "update design" in Incopy and the process of update changes assignments is running in Indesign, the Incopy and Indesign crash!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Changing Document Size

When I click OK to make my changes to the document the application crashes. I am able to preview the changes but that's it. I have tried restarting the application, restarting the computer. I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue.

Running:
    Adobe InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS 10.13.4
    Macbook Pro 2015 2.8 gHz i7

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?