Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keyboard shortcut for inserting Unicode glyphs

Accessibility and other forms of automated publishing require the correct Unicode glyphs.

These glyphs include punctuation, math/science symbols, foreign language characters, and bullets/symbols. In 2000, Unicode became the default character set worldwide across the technology industries.

But we have no way to easily insert these glyphs into InDesign layouts. For example, if I need the math multiplication symbol rather than a lower case "x", I need to either scroll through the glyph dialogue box, or know beforehand the symbol's codepoint 2715 and type it into the Unicode field in the glyph dialogue box.

Too slow! Especially when you have to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Discontiguous selections in InDesign

It would be nice for users to be able to make discontiguous text selections in InDesign, as you can in Microsoft Word.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Bug in Merge paragraph borders

There is a bug in merge paragraph borders of CC 13.1. In thread text frames, the border is displayed immediately after end of paragraph.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Temporarily disable GREP styles

I'm working on a long document that uses GREP Styles. the applied styles only change the colour of text, so they don’t affect the flow of text. But they sure do slow down the program. I would like to be able to disable the GREP Styles in the paragraph style to speed up the program. The only way to disable GREP Styles is to remove them from the style definition. I duplicated the style to keep a backup of my GREP expressions, but what would be better is a way to individually disable the styles while keeping the expression in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Rotating a linear gradient used in paragraph shading

At the moment there is no level of control for rotating a linear gradient used in paragraph shading. Please add that functionality.

Thanks, René

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Hyperlinks report

The Hyperlinks panel needs to be better overhauled please. I have a 300 page magazine with hyperlinks in each section (different sections provided by a team) ... so a Report Hyperlinks option would be very useful please, in the same way you can generate a Report in the Links panel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyphenation Options

Please add a checkbox (or something), so that you can turn off hyphenation of words that are connected to an em dash, and for words that already have a hyphen in them. And related to that, please always break hyphenated words/phrases/URLs at the hyphen, instead of adding another hyphen.

We currently have to search for all these "bad breaks" and this feature would be a big help.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring back the Paragraph Direction button/option that was removed in v14.0.1.

Bring back the Paragraph Direction button/option that was removed in v14.0.1.

I am using Middle East InDesign, with English/Arabic language app option.

I have been informed by Adobe Support that v14.0.1 has removed Paragraph Direction all together. Since I have to work with Arabic frequently, this is VERY disruptive since Arabic is written right to left. It seems that even Change Text Direction has even been removed from the Character window options, so I can't find any possible workaround.

I don't understand how any users that need Right to Left written languages will even be able to use your updated…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make OpenType SVG composed glyphs unbreakable

For now combined glyphs can be accidentally broken if they reach end of line.

For example, I add composed glyph 0x261d + 0x1f3fe (☝🏾) It is up pointing hand with skin tone modifier.

Applied EmojiOne font.

Now i start added dots before is (.........). When glyph reach end of text field, he will be PARTIALLY moved to next line. This moment it will be broken.

I understand why it happens, but this is unexpected behavior.

I think there should be an option in paragraph or character style, that makes glyphs unbreakable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts,…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import font attributes of text used in PDF comments such as underscore, bold, italic, etc.

Import font attributes of text used in PDF annotation such as underscore, bold, italic, etc.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please add a new feature is 'THE EQUATION EDITOR' in Adobe InDesign, it would be usefull

PLEASE ADD A NEW FEATURE IS: THE EQUATION EDITOR.

It would be very useful.

Thanks & B/regards,
    Handjojo

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Undo create outlines

The ability to undo anything especially the outline of text “ “anytime” even in illustrator or photoshop... not just backwards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add H1 or P option to Type> font selection filter

In Typekit there is an option for filtering for (recommended) Header or Paragraph typeface, can we please have this option within (Id) Type- Font classification selecting filter?

pRRRreeeeettttTTTy please

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. text box handles: right side

Please put a handle on the righthand side of text boxes that is not hidden by either the "click to edit corners" yellow box or the text-thread button when the text box is vertically challenged, as it were. Sometimes I want a text box to maintain a specific height but need to pull it wider to the right. If the text box is tall enough, the righthand pull handle is easily accessible, but if the text box is short, there' no way to pull the box wider to the right without either making it taller or using one of the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Widows and Orphans - Adjustable parameters for "Balance Ragged Lines" feature

Widows and Orphans - Adjustable parameters for "Balance Ragged Lines" feature

I layout brochures for conferences, and being able to adjust all my paragraph styles so that the balance ragged lines feature will allow me to set, if orphan then use 2 words.

Right now i feel as if its balancing them by look and feel, not by actual word count.

i am aware or GREP etc, but could never get it to work properly (Granted i an novice in using them)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make it one-click to disable USA English across all documents, existing and yet to be created.

Every new document I create defaults to USA English which is time-consuming to change for everyone who does not use this variation of UK English. Please make it a button on the 'New document' window to select default language, and please make it a tick-box in preferences. It could be worded like this for example 'What is your preferred default language?" and then a drop down. Then every document I open will automatically have the correct dictionary applied without any further time spent. Many thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to paste in out of pasteboard also

In Adobe Pagemaker, pasteboard is firm. but in Indesign, the pasteboard also moving with the page. If you want to stick the pasted item to see in all pages that helps. So please provide Option to paste in out of pasteboard also

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Have Type Colour always available to select/change

Please can we have the Type Colour always available to select and change, rather than being hidden secondary to the Fill Colour.

e.g. why is the Type Colour not in the Character panel like Photoshop has.
    why is the Type Colour in the main horizontal Control Panel not NEXT to the Fill Colour? ... Why do you have to click Fill Colour then T then select the Type Colour??? ... the same for the Swatches Panel - why is the Type Colour secondary to the Fill Colour.

The same problem also goes for Stroke colour ... why can't the Stroke…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base