How can we improve InDesign?

Allow more formatting of running heads

I'm working on a book whose running heads use both bold and roman type. (Chapter 1: Chapter title where "Chapter 1:" is bold and "Chapter TItle" is roman. As far as I know, I can't use variables or automatic section heads to format this way so have resorted to having a separate master page for each chapter.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan Gilbertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meanwhile, you could try using two frames on the master page, one for each variable.
        The current problem with all text variables is that what's actually inserted in the frame is a single hidden character that references the text in the document, not the text itself. Being a single character, it can't have two character styles applied to diferent parts, nested styles don't apply, and GREP styles don't see text, just that hidden character. That's also why text variables can only sit on a single line, and if that is too long for the frame it gets squished.
        I don't know what the engineering would have to be to change this behavior, but I'm guessing it's not trivial. For the moment, these problems are inherent in the basic architecture of the function. Hopefully, understanding the limitations might help with ideas for working around them.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Making multiple masters for chapters with itals in the title is annoying.

Feedback and Knowledge Base