Collaborative, Syncing, Files
Add collaborative qualities to files so multiple people can edit at the same time and sync to update. This is VITAL for team work and educational work. Group work and teams will never go away.
Thanks for making this request. In order to understand the use-case more better I have a few questions:
1. Whats the role of the different people working collaboratively on the same file. Are they always only designers or are other personas also involved.
2. What are the different kind of files (brochures, books, magazines etc) for which this is required.
3. Where is the file on which these different users need to work together on be placed. Should this be on a cloud server, or a shared server.
4. How do you workaround this need today? What are the most important problems with the current workaround?
Jamie Causey commented
1. The different people working collaboratively are primarily designers but it would be great if a "read only" or a "markup" version could be sent on to clients, supervisors, or editors for review that can then be updated. All of which are saved in a file.
2. files include: books, magazines, portfolios, posters and presentations, brochures.
3. Ideally the file could be on the creative cloud or a a shared server. The way we currently share is via google drive or re-packaging and transferring via USB drive.
4. The current workaround is that a master template is creates and shared amongst a team (in my experience, typically 2-4 people on a doc at a time). One person from the team works on a certain portion of the overall document and other team members on other various parts but each has their own task/section of the document. The color pallets and other artwork are shared via the creative cloud. Any other inserted content requires the document to be packaged. One person is given all of the separate documents and then copies and pastes them to create one cohesive document. Issues include, packaging, re-packaging, continual transfer to USB or drive/server, discontinuity, lack of live updates and editing/markup that is intuitive, and ability to share documents as a whole across the creative cloud.
If any other users have additional input regarding this topic please share your experience and responses to the questions above.
And please make this forum/group more lively with more moderators/adobe-experts/adobe stuff who has the ability to make things real fast!
And please include InCopy in this! For text editors (which are NOT in the same network but in another city)