Variables not updating
- InDesign CC 2018 (though I have experienced this same problem over several versions)
- Random bug, so I can't really say what steps are required
- Variables should update to the data referenced by the variable
- The word "Variable" is substituted for the data
- Screen shot attached.
Have the same with a field that inserts the last month number. it also does not update
Matthew Williams commented
Never mind. Corrupt text box. Wierd, though, that it only affect one pages of the dozen or so that use that master.
[Deleted User] commented
I can't really give you steps. I can't reproduce the problem regularly. It always happens on long documents when I have a variable and a page number in the same box on a master page.
When I PDF the file, one page—216 in this case—always exports the page number as the word "Variable." I have tried everything I can think of including
• reapplying the master page
• unlinking the running head text box from the master page
• changing the variable to regular text (in which case, the problem jump to p. 218)
• reinstalling InDesign
• reinstalling Acrobat
• using multiple PDF Job Options
The only thing that seems to be common to every occurrence is that it only happens when I page numbers and variables in the running head box. Oh, and I think it only occurs on even-numbered pages, but I may be misremembering that. Sometimes, the page number on the page in the InDesign file has been replaced by "Variable" and sometimes it hasn't been. If I recompose the stories, it becomes a page number, but in the PDF, it's still "Variable."
If you (Adobe) are interested in seeing the file, I can send it directly. I cannot attach it here, though, because it's unpublished material that is not mien.