Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. Share for Review

Share for Review does not seem to be working even after another update.

I sent an invitation by "Invite Only". My client received an email with a link and the only 2 options available for my client are "Sign in with an Adobe ID" – 99% of my clients will not HAVE or NEED an Adobe ID.

The second option is "Enter a password if one has been shared with you." Unfortunately, I was not given the option to set up a password. However, when posting publicly I could.

And lastly, when I update the file (link), there was no…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Share for Review access settings - Public Link not available

I am trying to use the new Share for Review option. As outlined here, I should be able to switch the access options from invitation only to public which should give me the option to have people without an Adobe account review the content by simply inputting a password for access. However, I cannot switch from invitation only to public as I simply have the invitation only option as a fixed option and no dropdown to choose from. Is there an option somewhere that I need to enable first so I can publicly share these files for review? As of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Resizing object with 'Auto-Fit' enabled now broken in 15.1

In version 15.0.3 and earlier, if you enabled the 'Auto-Fit' option and then resized an object by entering values in the Width or Height fields the content would resize along with the frame (as expected).

With 15.1 this no longer works. The frame resizes but the content doesn't. Only way for 'Auto-Fit' to behave as expected is to drag the frame handles.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Share for review annotations not showing up in InDesign

In using the new Share for Review this morning from today's update to v15.1 we did a test document that included some drawing annotations. The comments showed up as expected in InDesign but not the drawing annotations. I have tried toggling on and off the eye in the review panel and nothing happens like it does in the web browser.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Text disappears after hitting 'Accept' in PDF comments

ID 15.0.3

Just started getting our client to use PDF Comments (instead of printing, writing on, then B&W scanning, then emailing back), I've imported the comments, then hit 'Accept' over the text amends he's made, the text then deletes/disappears. There's no styling or rules or anything else applied, it's just straight text.

Screen shot had 4 price points on, but after hitting accept, it's gone. If I change the price manually and leave any original text (to see what happens) such as the $ symbol, then hit 'Accept', the manually altered text stays, but the $ disappears.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "Balance Ragged Lines" does nothing

When activating it on the Paragraph panel or in the Paragraph styles, there's no change in the paragraph at all.

I'm using MacOS 10.15.4 (19E287), and the latest version of InDesign 15.0.2.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign 15.0.2 hangs on auto flow on primary text frame

InDesign 15.0.2 Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.4 MBP 15" 2019
    ID hangs up when trying to let InDesign create about 100 additional pages with auto flow on the primary text frame from a placed docx. Can't attach the file due to my customer's copyright policy.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign 15.0.2 won't open

The new 15.0.2 version on a Mac will continue to bounce and not open. The splash screen doesn't show and the app will not respond. I have let the app try to open for an extended period of time, but after 10 minutes of just bouncing and not opening, the app has to be force quit.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As confirmed by the user, The issue is resolved.
    The issue was related to few bad fonts housed within the system fonts folder..

Regards
    InDesign Team

9. InDesign 2020: crashing, undo doesn't work, missing fonts, text wrap is broken, so many bugs

The Undo bug is back. I tried to undo some text (in a table) and it reverted the document back to the previous save and then crashed.

On re-opening, ID complains that it can't find my installed fonts that I used in the document. They show up in the document, it just complains that they are not there. These are fonts that I bought and installed, so I know they are available.

I have also been having problems with text wrap not working half the time. I set a box (I've tried both image and text boxes) to text wrap…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue got resolved by uninstall and re installation of InDesign 2020.

10. hangs on export to epub3

I have one file that will not export at all. InDesign hangs every time and I have to force quit. I have tried not including the cover, the fonts, the TOC, in all combinations. I was able to export by opening the IDML in CS6. Mac OS 10.3.6 and InDesign CC 15.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As confirmed by the customer, the issue was due to hyperlinks inside footnotes in the document. Deleting them resolved the issue.

11. Proportion lock is ignored when scaling.

I've placed a bitmap on my page. When scaling it with the scaling tool and the proportion lock engaged, proportions aren't maintained.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Scaling with the Scale Tool scales the objects without taking into consideration the Constraint Lock icon, it works independently of the state of this icon. Only when you use the W & H fields, the Constraint icon is used.
    So, it is not a bug. You can also see this work similarly in Adobe Illustrator too.

Adobe InDesign team

12. InDesign 2020 not tagging lists properly on export to Interactive PDF

If a paragraph style is used to define a tag for export to PDF, all numbered and bulleted lists used with that style inherit the same tag, rather than the list tag <L>, <LI>, etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please use a separate style for the bullets with tag set to [Automatic]
    You are experiencing the issue due to an accessibility related bug fix done in v15.0

See https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html
    Issue fixed: List should not export as List Tag if another tag is assigned

Please let us know in comments section if it is otherwise.

Thanks

13. Backwards apostrophe

The "right-single-quote" mark (i.e. apostrophe) in InDesign is rendering backwards, ONLY with the font that I'm using (Acme Gothic). The apostrophe is correct with other fonts, and on other Adobe products (Illustrator and Photoshop). It's specifically when using this font, and in InDesign. It's even using the correct character (’) but it's appearing backwards. It also exports backwards in a PDF as well. I'm using Adobe InDesign 2020 on a Macbook Pro.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ’ for the font Acme Gothic has been set to Mirrored in your text frame, that’s why it is rendering backwards.

To change all instances of this, highlight it with the mouse, right-click, the choose ‘Load Selected Glyph in Find’. The Find/Change dialog opens with the selected glyph already in the Find Glyph field – its Unicode ID is 201B. To change the Glyph to the non-mirrored one, just type 2019 in the Unicode ID field . Then click Change All. It will change all instances of the mirrored apostrophe with the non-mirrored apostrophe.

Hope it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

14. Longtime UI spelling error "Centre"

Why is it that for many years now the spelling of "Centre" (as in: Centre Justify) has not yet been fixed in the Windows versions of InDesign? The MacOS versions are correct.

"Centre" is "re" when used in "Shopping Centre".
    Center is "er" when used in the middle of something, such as Alignment.

All of your other products properly use "Center" ... but, for whatever reason, InDesign (including the latest CC 2020) for Windows has failed to fix this.

Please keep in mind that it's fixed on the MacOS versions. Thus, it MUST be considered an inconsistency and a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Output intent broken in 2020

Seems that Indesign 2020 shouldn't have been released since one of the most important things is broken.

We tell our customers to use PDF/X4 to export pdf's so that we get a correct output intent profile in the pdf.
    The problem is that it doesn't seem to matter what color settings I have, the output intent is always set to US Web Coated in the Output tab of the export window. So now everyone has to change the output profile manually in the output tab to the color profile setup in color settings. This is really bad and alot of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It looks like the Synchronize Color Settings in Bridge was not syncing the color settings in InDesign. Changing the settings once again in Bridge sorted out the issue of synchronization.
    Based on this information, closing the thread.
    Thank you Anders for prompt back & forth communication and help in troubleshooting the glitch.

Adobe InDesign team

16. thumbnails of links not available in Indesign 2020

when i'm placing images (psd files) in indesign, there are no thumbnails of the links.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per our discussion, the issue is not with the thumbnail on the links panel, but rather the one on the place dialog.

This thumbnail is governed by the OS and Windows OS does not generate the psd thumbnail and just shows the psd file icon as the thumbnail.

Thanks

17. exportar a SWF

Hola!! la nueva versión de indesign no tiene la opción de exportar a SWF !!!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign 15.0 Smart Guides problem on converted files

After the 15.0 update InDesign does not show Smart Guides on files that are saved with the older version of InDesign. New blank documents show Smart Guides as they should but if I open (convert) old file to 15.0 Smart Guides stop working. So when I drag elements they don't snap to each other or center to the page for example.

I'm working on Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. insert Previous or Next page number does not work

insert Previous or Next page number does not work. I want to have folios of "Pages 1 and 2" where I need to have the next page#. Inserting a marker (previous page or Next page results in the current page number.

Mac version 14.03

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The proper way to use this feature has been explained. It works like this:

The extra text frame (containing the Previous/Next Page Number) need not be linked to the text frame to which it refers. It just has to touch that text frame.

The way this feature works is that you have a text frame that contains some text on a certain page. That text continues on a different page that is random. So, for example, in a magazine, you have an article that starts on page 11, and then it continues on page 80. In that case, you will create a separate text frame on page 11, make it touch the text frame that contains the article and put "Continued on Page . Similarly, on page 80, you will create a separate text frame and make it touch the article and put "Continued from Page .
    When you do…

20. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base