Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. IDML: missing Font Style property in Character Style after export

Version: InDesign CC 2020 15.0.1

How to reproduce the bug:
    1. Create a Character Style with "Bold" Font Style and apply it to a word/character range
    2. Save in INDD file format
    3. Export the IDML
    4. Open the IDML and you will notice that the bold property for the Character Style was lost

Expected result: the Character Style should be the same as in the original INDD file

Actual result: the "bold" property was lost during the export process. The INDD file is fine.

I verified that InDesign CC 2019 14.0.3 is not affected by this bug.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adding text to "chained" anchored textframes causing complete crash when text is added to one of the first three frames

Indesign 2020, Version 15.0.1, iMac with Mac OS 10.15.1:

We have hundreds of documents created in Indesign 2019 with "chained" anchored textframes, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 frames in a row. Frames are set to automatical height adjust. When text is added to one of the first three frames causing the frame to become higher than before Indesign chrashes completely without warning. Adding text to frame 4 or 5 does NOT create a crash! Same files work perfectly under Indesign 2019. Problem occured with first version of Indesign 2020, and remains after recent update.

Would love to attach an Indesign testfile,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Balance Columns Not Working for Tables

Balance Columns does not work for Tables.

Steps to duplicate:
    1. Create a large Text Frame with two columns.
    2. Enable Balance Columns on that Text Frame.
    3. Create a Table in the Text Frame with a number of rows, say 10 rows.
    4. Add a paragraph break, or return.
    5. Create a line of Text under that Table that spans columns.
    The Table ignores the Balance Columns Setting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. thai

After updated to the newest Indesign 2020, word cut/ hyphenate in Thai language become incorrect.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug with world ready composer when use space like thin en or em space in Thai language. And bug in text wrapping in 2020 version.

After updated to 2020 version that added support to Asian languages (include Thai), it look like Indesign force user (in my case Thai) to set language in Advanced Character Formats to Thai. After set the language Indesign also require me to use World-Ready Composer to set all tone marks in place.
    Before the latest version, I always avoid to use World-Ready Composer because it combines a word to single object, not just locks tone mark and float vowel to character in the right position. By which it impossible to navigate with text tool to the position of text that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Artifact Tagging

InDesign now ignores it half the time when I designate an object as an artifact in the object export options panel. I run an accessibility check on the PDF and those objects come up as errors in the alternate text check, and I have to manually desginate them all as artifacts within Acrobat. I know this is a new issue, because I've been working with the same template for several years and locked down all the objects that were supposed to remain the same month to month. Never has a problem until the 2020 update.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Tillägg borta i InDesign 2020

Version: Indesign 2020

Under Fönster finns inte längre "tillägg" vilket gör att MediaFlowPro inte går att få in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.

2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.

3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indents incorrect when importing Word document

When importing a Word document that contains some indented paragraphs, the left indent being set to 5mm in Word (for example), once placed in InDesign, these 5mm indents typically show as 4.992mm. This would not neccesarily be a problem except that Find/Change in InDesign will not recognise an indent to 3 decimal places and therefore this cannot be located easily and fixed. This is proving to be a big problem in my workflow as I cannot automate the process of re-styling these paragraphs using InDesign Paragraph Styles with Find/Change. This bug occurs whatever measurement system is used, i.e. mm, inches,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hyperlinks copy/pasted between files *appear* to break after source document is removed.

Using CC2019 on a Mac running High Sierra

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Create a document with a few hyperlinks in it.
    2) Whilst this document is open, open a 2nd document, and copy/paste the links from one document to the other.
    3) Save both and close.
    4) Trash source document

Expected result: hyper links should work in Target document as expected.

Actual result: hyperlinks all appear broken in document. Whilst an exported PDF appears to still work, ID reports all those links as broken.

Other details:
    If you retrieve the source document from the trash, it the links in the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Color theme tool pop-up window unable to be closed

I'm running Adobe Indesign 14.0.1
    To recreate, select the color theme tool and click anywhere on a placed image, a small horizontal color theme menu pops up with five swatches and a few other buttons to the right of the swatches, and then never goes away. Ever. There is no option to hide or close the window and while I appreciate having a palette to pick from on my screen, I went with my own palette for this project and the color theme tool was unnecessary.

There needs to be some way to hide or close this small window that…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning on the "Span Footnotes Across…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Column Rule colour is inconsistent vs. Fill and Stroke

The colour applied to a Column Rule is darker than elsewhere applied, e.g., Fills and Strokes.

1. New file.

2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2 and turn ON the Column Rule with default values. However, set the Colour to 10% Black.

3. Set the Fill and the Stroke of the text frame to the very same 10% Black.

Notice that the Column Rule is darker than the Fill and Stroke. It shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Allan

P.S. See the attached screenshot - I'm using Magenta rather than Black. Same results.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Unable to add fonts to Favorites if "in-menu font previews" is turned off.

Adobe InDesign 2020 15.0, on macOS Catalina 10.15

After having updated to the latest version of Adobe InDesign 2020 I'm unable to add fonts to the Favorite Fonts filter. The fonts I've added to the filter from previous versions of InDesign are still there, but I'm not able to add any new fonts I have installed since.

The star icon that previously let you add fonts to the filter is now completely gone. I can't remove previously added fonts from the filter either.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. ICML export doesn't preserve the paragraph styles of endnotes.

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2

2. Export a story containing endnotes as ICML

3. Endnotes should be styled properly

4. Endnotes lose the applied paragraph style

5. UserVoice will not allow me to attach an IDML or INDD file. I can email it if needed.

What this means is that anyone using InCopy will lose the paragraph styling of their endnotes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. RotatedTable-BaseLineGrid-NOT-WORKING.PNG

( InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155 on Windows 10 ).

The custom baseline grid is not working at all if a table's text frame is rotated.

It is working with text outside a table if the frame is rotated.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/baseline-grid-landscape/m-p/10717436#M159385

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base