1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Deleting guides

This might be a bug. If a layer is locked or guides are locked I can't delete all of them. Say I use the Layers>Create Guides and I select remove existing guides, nothing will happen if guides are locked or the layer they are on is locked. Same with the View> Guides and Grids> Delete All Guides on Spread. I can see why this would happen as you might not want to delete every guide sometimes but it contradicts what the option says and becomes annoying.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add tags to grouped items

Adding tag structure to grouped items would help those of us who need to perform 508 compliance on long documents with multiple grouped items without having to go back and find those grouped items and ungroup them.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Option: make subsection headers not persist beyond their ends.

For text variables for running headers/footers, the default behavior is as described in the help: "If there is no occurrence of the style on the page, the previous occurrence of the applied style is used." Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but if you are using headers or footers for both sections and subsections, and some sections have subsections and some don't, then you get a header with the name of a subsection many pages back, even though it's not on the page. Having an option to turn off this persistence would make this feature work…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allowing the Data Merge feature to tile pages for final Print or PDF.

Allowing the Data Merge feature to tile documents for Print or PDF. I would love to take my 8.5 x 11" , file with one image and some copy being pulled from a data source to be able to print or PDF right from the data merge dialog box and specify to place 4 or more up on a page.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Layer Name to the options under Type/Text Variable/Insert Variable

We create a base version and save that as the file name, which we can add to our slug line as Inserted Text, then we have multiple versions which we have to manually add to the slug line before we release proofs to the client. Having the layer inserted into the slug line would be a great improvement to time/accuracy .

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow placement of AI files without PDF compatability.

Currently, with a workflow that includes placing AI file into indesign, the AI files must be saved with PDF compatability turned on. This not only embeds all linked assets inside the AI file, but duplicates all the artwork as well making the file size of the saved AI file much much larger.

This request is to allow INDD to place native AI files without an embedded PDF copy of all the artwork and without links embedded. If we could do this, we'd literally save half our storage space if not more due to all the duplication of links and artwork…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow saving to previous version format

I upgraded from CC2017 to CC2018 (hoping it would fix some issues I've submitted elsewhere) not realizing that my co-workers who are still on CC2017 would then not be able to open my .indd files. Saving as .idml is a really, really suboptimal solution. I know other software I've had allows you to save in previous versions' formats; why can't you? Also, it would have been nice to know this would happen **before** I upgraded...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dragon by Nuance to dictate directly into InDesign

This is an ADA accessibility issue.

Allow Dragon by Nuance to dictate text directly into InDesign. (Mac, Dragon 6.0.7).

This is been a constant problem with compatibility between Dragon and InDesign. I've spoken with both companies help departments about this and each blames the other for not being compatible.

That is where things stood until for different problem I had to have Adobe help via remote access login as root and remove all Adobe installations and files.

After complete reinstall of Adobe products in design accepted dictation from Dragon for about three days. This to me indicates it is a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Isolate levels in a group

Be able to double click to reach a group object but isolate all the objects in that grouping level, e.g:
    You have a placed graphic with flyouts or annotations but if its grouped and more often than not you have to double-click edit and exit the group and keep double-clicking until you reach your desired object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Rename the open document from File menu

I would like to be able to rename the current document from the File menu in InDesign (and all other Adobe apps). Now I how to close the file and rename it in Explorer, or save it with the new name and delete the old document file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Additional Conditional text options

I do a lot of publishing work, and one of the banes in the day of a Publishing Designer, is changing spines, it would be great is there was a conditional text option that enabled me to drag a box to the spine width and for that box to report it's width!
    In an ideal world if it could also report the height so we can show the height and width of a book, it would be fabulous!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please Integrate with photoshop.

Im having a nightmare trying to open Indesign files in to photoshop, keeping layers. One can think that it would be more natural, because thay are both design programs made by the same company. In practice it seems to be impossible. Please I need to be able to do it somehow. Any clues?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Indesign feature

Please add in "outline stroke" (which is an illustrator function) to indesign. We need this for when a printer requests that all strokes are outlined.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. export location

Please please include a tick box in the preferences that allows exporting to the same location as the indesign file you're exporting. I work in a busy studio and I'm constantly having to re-route where I'm exporting my files it's SO frustrating!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option to search child folders when using Relink to Folder

Have a checkbox that tells indesign to also search child folders when using the "Relink to Folder" feature. To keep it from searching too far, you could also include a box to specify how many "layers" down to check.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. make the footnote continue in the whole document rather than linked textframes

Let the footnote be continues in one document irrelevant to the text frames are linked or not

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Color overlay FX

Right now Indesign has almost every effect as Photoshop, except Color Overlay.

Please add the Color Overlay effect to Indesign.

Aside from the obvious benefits, this feature would make changing the color of bitmap fonts so much easier than having to recolor them in photoshop, and import them as images into indesign.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find and Replace by pagenumber/sequence

I'd like to see a Find and Replace by pagenumber/sequence, so you can choose on which pages you can find/replace. Just like exporting pages to pdf.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop resetting preferences and theme after update

do NOT mess with the apps preferences and custom setup when updating. Overnight the update from 13.1 to 14.0.2 (Win 10) wreaked havoc with preferences and other customised settings.

My setup is on a workstation and MUST NOT BE MESSED WITH.

Adobe programmers - STOP SCREWING AROUND WITH THE APPS

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I want to delete/remove/manage Recent files from the Start panel.

I archive completed projects, but still have to wade through the empty icons in the Recent files list. It would be nice to right-click > Remove the icons. It must be a simple JDI thing! :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base