How can we improve InDesign?

Delete Multiple Index Entries

As it is, if you "add all" with the index tool, it creates an index entry for every instance of the selected word. Sometimes it might have that word 20 times on a page over a range of pages. As it is now, each of these entries over multiple pages must be deleted one-by-one by dragging the number individually into the trash can in the index tool. It would be awesome if you could select multiple entries at once (by using +ctrl or + shift) so you could drag multiple entries into the trash. This would increase my efficiency by hours over the course of an indexing job.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Minkoff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not the neatest solution, but what I'm going to do is leave them all and then go and delete the ACTUAL pages numbers AFTER the level 1 entry when the index is all finished. I presume that's why you want them gone? Super quick compared to the alternative!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After using "add all" for an entry, I also want to use the option that groups all sequential entries so that for instance I get something like 3-7, for same entries on pages 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. The problem is, if all the single entries for pages 3,4,5,6,7 are not deleted from the Index, they show up in the final Index production. So I have the laborious task of deleting unwanted entries one by one because a multi-delete option in Index not available in CS5

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to "auto" update the index if you've made text changes to the indexed item in the document after you've created the original index?

Feedback and Knowledge Base