Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

39 results found

1. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

3. Master Page

When setting up multiple 2 page spread master pages, there is an issue with graphics overlapping onto other master pages when 'Facing Pages' is switched on.

For example - Master Page A is blank, and Master Page B has a green box along the top of the page.

When the Master Page A is placed next to a Master Page B, the green box graphic spreads onto Master Page A as well.

Please see the attached screen shots for clearer explanation.

Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

4. search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
    Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. Running Header Removes ZWNJ (Zero-width non-joiner) Character (U+200C)

I want to use Running Header to have the section name at the top of the pages.
    The section title has Zwnj character (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) but running header removes this character (U+200C).
    for more information see the attached image

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Try opening the document with other option (File→Open(Copy))
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Please share sample document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

6. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

8. Split window re-scrolls after returning from other app and changing other window

I am running Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1.x64 on Windows 7 with latest updates (i.e., the most popular platform in the world).

1. Open the document (see attached).
    2. Split the window (Window > Arrange > Split Window).
    3. Scroll the left window to show page 2, with the Table of Contents.
    4. Scroll the right window to show e.g. page 3, with the cursor in the middle of the page.
    5. With the Type tool active, click the Enter key.
    6. InDesign correctly inserts a new paragraph, with the left window remaining unchanged.
    7. Alt-Tab out of InDesign.
    8. Alt-Tab back into InDesign. The Type tool should still…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version for multi page PDF placement to work properly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copying a page: Wrong position

When making a copy of a page, for example a copy of page 1, the new copy lands on a wrong position in the page palette.
    1. Click and drag page 1 in the page palette while holding the alt-key. Then move mouse to the right, until a line appears between pages 1 and 2.
    2. Releasing the mouse button should result in a copy of page 1 between the original page 1 and 2. All subsequent page numbers should increase by 1.
    3. Instead of landing on position 2, the copied page appears on position 3.

This issue has…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Upon opening app 'Pages panel' does not launch

InDesign doesn't seem to record the preference of keeping open the 'pages panel'. On each app launch (despite on closing the last session with the pages panel open), the pages panel does not appear.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.
    • Is the issue related to a specific workspace(s)? If yes, can you please provide the workspace(s) available at following location:
    o Windows: “%APPDATA%\Adobe\InDesign\Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”
    o Macintosh: "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”

Adobe InDesign team

12. double layout page has become a PB spread. some pictures missing

In a 36 page document one double page spread has become a PB spread. some pictures missing, page numbers should be 8 and 9 but show PB instead, page background is grey instead of white, see screen shot attached.
    This is a disaster as I have to get the completed magazine to the printer ASAP!
    Version InDesign CC 2018. Created a 36 page magazine. Checked back through the layout and found pages 8 and 9 were not normal. Not what I expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

13. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.

Adobe InDesign team

14. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

15. Page icons not displayed in vertical and horizontal configuration.

There seems to be a bug with the pages palette, the icons do not display correctly in vertical and horizontal configurations with some dissapearing off the side or below.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com

Adobe InDesign Team

17. 2020 Pages Window Broken

Ever since updating to Indesign 2020 the pages window just doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times but no matter what I do it just shows it as completely blank. This makes it extremely difficult to access anything, let alone my master pages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When converting files to a new version, some converted files have "copy" added to the name.

Opening a book from a previous version, with automatic doc conversion selected, causes some files to be overwritten when saved with "copy" added to the name. This nuance has caused a cascading calamity for our file management. If this function is intended, then it's execution is downright dumb. Nowhere was this pitfall mentioned when opening the files and saving them. Automatic Document conversion should be just that, automatic. Not 'automatically' mess up my naming conventions and filing system.

Shame on you Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm the version of InDesign with which you are facing the issue?
    It will be really helpful if you can share a screen recording of the workflow with us. It will give us unambiguous insight into the issue.

You can send the video and test files to abkaushi@adobe.com

-Abhinav

19. master page

The header items of my master pages are not always exporting. The top image is form the PDF. The bottom image is from the InDesign file. Notice how the gray rule is missing from the PDF. Sometimes the rule is missing from the left hand pages, sometimes it's on the right-hand pages.

The affected master pages were child master pages, and I was able to get around this issue by detaching the rule from the parent master page, and making it standalone on the child master page. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This appears to be a very recent…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Page Margin Issues

When creating a new document using a preset with a margin, the margin is ignored when the document is made.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base