Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

254 results found

1. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample file with which the issue is reproducible at amaarora@adobe.com?

I tried with some custom files but was unable to see the issue (checked on Sigil epub viewer)

Thanks
    InDesign Team

2. When converting files to a new version, some converted files have "copy" added to the name.

Opening a book from a previous version, with automatic doc conversion selected, causes some files to be overwritten when saved with "copy" added to the name. This nuance has caused a cascading calamity for our file management. If this function is intended, then it's execution is downright dumb. Nowhere was this pitfall mentioned when opening the files and saving them. Automatic Document conversion should be just that, automatic. Not 'automatically' mess up my naming conventions and filing system.

Shame on you Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm the version of InDesign with which you are facing the issue?
    It will be really helpful if you can share a screen recording of the workflow with us. It will give us unambiguous insight into the issue.

You can send the video and test files to abkaushi@adobe.com

-Abhinav

3. Ability to Add more than One Page at a Time

I have a "large" technical textbook, in my case 20 chapters and at least 22 indd files, if I wnt to add a page or two to an existing chapter, each time I click the new page icon, it takes a while for InDesign to reassess page and section numbers. Ten clicks of "new page later", it rather timeconsuming.

How about an option, similar to adding rows/columns to a table, that allows you to specifiy how many pages you would like to add?

At the moment, adding 10 pages means watching it update section numbers 10 times.

Kind regards
    Mike…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Anchored item with white overprints

This is a 'white' bug.

I regularly use anchoring to keep items aligned and for spacing.
    Text is black. Art or tables need white in them to knockout the shade beneath.

When a table is placed inline or a piece of art is anchored in a text box that has a color or a border... the white is ignored in the anchored object.

There is no reason to ignore a color just because it is inline or anchored.

This bug forces me to layer the object on a different layer, causing extra work in keeping the item aligned after edits.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. master page

The header items of my master pages are not always exporting. The top image is form the PDF. The bottom image is from the InDesign file. Notice how the gray rule is missing from the PDF. Sometimes the rule is missing from the left hand pages, sometimes it's on the right-hand pages.

The affected master pages were child master pages, and I was able to get around this issue by detaching the rule from the parent master page, and making it standalone on the child master page. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This appears to be a very recent…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

6. No longer shows hidden characters for one particular document.

I just updated to InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 7.
    The option Type > Show Hidden Characters no longer works for this document.
    It does not show newlines, paragraph marks, etc.
    This document has one pages at 2.5" x 5" size, with only text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please confirm if toggling the View→Screen Mode from Preview to Normal, shows up the hidden characters

Thanks

7. Italics not showing in InDesign CC2019 - but does in all other versions

I have a .docx file that when brought into InDesign CC2019 (14.0.2) the italics do not show. The italics show in all other versions of InDesign. This is worrying for when we work on long documents. The error still occurs if the file is changed to a .doc file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please tell me what part of text in the word file is not imported as italics in Indesign?
    The italics portion in the word file are:
    Australian Book Review
    H-France Review
    je ne sais quoi

all of which are imported as italics in InDesign

Can you tell me what am i missing?

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

8. Keyboard commands do not respond in document until text field is selected

Indesign 14.0.2 x64
    Windows 10

After opening any document, the keyboard does not work. Print, open, and quick key selections for tool will not register until I select the ​type tool with the mouse, and click on a text field so that the cursor appears.

I then have to click on the selection black arrow tool for any keys to start working. I use mainly quick key shortcuts and commands all day, so this occurs every new document opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please try clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

9. Selection of PDF Comments

InDesign CC2019 (14.02 x64) Windows 10

I am only able to select the corresponding sticky note icon from imported PDF comments at 100% or less view magnification. This is unhelpful as at this scale, large dimension sized documents the text is greeked out, I need to zoom in to see what is written in my document to compare against the comment, but then have to zoom back out to select the next icon to bring that comment to the fore of the list.

Please correct so I can select sticky notes while panning throughout a document at >100%.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    Has is started to happen in Id 14.0.2? Was it working fine before?

10. I emphasize enough how much I dislike the new styling on the text/paragraph style dialogues

It is SOO much harder to select the paragraph (or whatever) style I need now. The key information in that dialogue is the style name, which I know you know because that's what you show when it's selected. But that style name isn't the most visible part of the drop-down. In my case, it's darn hard to see. This is slowing me way down and I'm feeling very grumpy about it.
    I was also really irritated when the resize quick keys did a switcheroo here after 20+ years, but I can get over that. This one -though! Apologies for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This new menu you are seeing is only visible from the properties panel.
    You can still see the list of paragraph styles from the Paragraph Styles menu (Type→Paragraph styles) in the same way as it used to be in previous years.
    Please let us know if you still face the problem

Thanks,
    Aman

11. text bold italic regular

Cannot easily change text with bold italics and bold regular to non-bold italics and non-bold regular.

1. On Windows 7, InDesign 14.0.1 x64:
    2. In a normal text window, type "regular" in non-bold regular Times New Roman font.
    3. Then type "italics" in non-bold italic Times New Roman Font.
    4. Select the entire "regularitalics" phrase.
    5. Click Ctrl-B. The entire phrase correctly becomes bold.
    6. Click Ctrl-B again. Expected behavior: The entire phrase should revert back to regular. Actual behavior: Only "italics" reverts back to regular. The "regular" remains bold.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please let us know if using the short cut keys ctrl+shift+b/i helps to change the font style.

Thanks,
    Aman

12. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. TIff

Can't place TIF or PNG files into InDesign. The internet tells me that I can, however I've been trying for hours and it only works when I convert to JPG.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Page Margin Issues

When creating a new document using a preset with a margin, the margin is ignored when the document is made.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.

Adobe InDesign team

15. bug

Socorro!
    Isso começou a acontecer recentemente.
    Podem corrigir?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

16. convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
    CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. existing file size won't change > InDesign CC 2019

Today I noticed that if I use an existing file > save as new file name > then change document set up (size) the document says it's the correct size but it is not!

After creating a PDF, I checked the file data and the size was not correct! Did this 7-8 times to make sure it wasn't a user error. Being that I do 100's of print ads a month, this is a HUGE issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

18. GREP "Any Double Quotation Marks" wildcard not working as expected

Version: CC (14.0.1.209)

While using InDesign's Find/Change GREP feature:

The following GREP query wont find the matching string even if it exists in the document: (Any White Space) followed by (Any Double Quotation Marks) followed by (Any Uppercase Letter)

\s"[A-Z]

This should find any white space followed by any double quotation mark followed by any uppercase letter, however it shows no match.

The following GREP searches will work, but when combined they do not work:

\s" will find the white space and the double quotation mark

"[A-Z] will find the double quotation mark and any uppercase letter

It seems to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. conflict of making your document smaller than your margins

InDesign CC 2019 v. 14

The New ”New document” dialog box doesn't give any warning of the conflict of making your document smaller than your margins allow. It just changes the width and/or height back to what it was as a default if your margins are too large and does not warn the user about it.

And if the user fails to notice that the size switches back, it will create a document that’s not the size intended. User may not even realize what is it that went wrong.

In the Legacy New Document dialog box, when you click OK,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
    Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
    you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base