Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

21 results found

1. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

3. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

4. PDF Workflow shows syntax error in exported PDF Version 18.5

I read that there was some Problems with PDF export since InDesign version 18.4. And i want to report that there are still issues with the latest version 18.5. Our Workflow reports syntax error in pdf and aborts procession. Its a full stop, no detailed error messages were shown. The only solution for us is to place the PDF again in older InDesign (17.4) and export a PDF from there.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. PDF Export causes Acrobat to crash

I am having trouble exporting InDesign files to PDF.

This is what I'm seeing:
    Exporting PDFs from InDesign works fine if no PDF is open. If you have a PDF already open or are exporting a 2nd PDF with the first still open it crashes Adobe.

I have updated Windows to a later version, checked drivers, the event viewer logs. I looked for similar issues online, repaired Acrobat from Control panel and from within the app.

Please share any advice.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please let us know if it the InDesign application crashing or Acrobat?
    If it is Acrobat, please post it here: acrobat.uservoice.com

Thanks,
    Aman

6. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. indesign export

I export a pdf and then decide I want to make a tweak. So I tweak the indesign file, re-export my pdf, and then the pdf doesn't update the preview! I have to re-export TWICE in order for the pdf to be updated. Anybody else having this problem?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Which version of InDesign are you using?
    2. On which OS are you seeing this issue? Win or Mac?
    3. This issue is reproducible with each and every file or with some specific files?

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

8. Export PDF is crashing PAC checker due to font issue

Since version 18.4, sometimes the embedding of specific fonts is causing PAC to get a system error. I know this because I sent my file to Axaio (made-to-tag) when I couldn't figure out why PAC was not working. They told me this started happening since version 18.4, which has something to do with fonts. They suggested finding a TrueType version of the font to get around this bug or download 18.3. I use Indesign all the time and need this bug to be fixed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't export page range as pdf

I'm unable to export a page range from InDesign as a PDF as I have done for decades. I get two options when I choose "range," "All" and "Letter V."

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you try selecting (highlighting) “All Pages” and type whatever page range you want to export?
    If you have alternate layouts and you want to export a range of pages from a particular alternate layout, say Letter V, you can also type the page range after putting a colon, like this: Letter V: 2-3.
    This has been the case for many versions and has not changed.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

11. Can't Export PDF due to Indesign background tasks error

Re-installed latest version of Indesign and still have the problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

Thanks

13. Bad PDF Export to x1a with indd placed in InDesign

• problem in InDesign CC2019 / macOS 10.14.3, 10.13.9
    • no problem with previous InDesign versions (on 10.13 systems)

Sometimes i use InDesign document (page) placed into another InDesign document (because more work with some pages and reuse them in more documents). If these placed Indd documents contains RGB images with transparencies (like transparency in PSD files, or transparency effects applied to flat images in InDesign), these images are exported very bad, highly desaturated. But only when export to PDF X1a (required by our printer, i use profile "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" in all indd). No problem when exporting to higher…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please can you share the sample InDesign files that can help me reproduce the issue at amaarora@adobe.com?
    Please do add a small video illustrating the bug

Thanks,
    Aman

14. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. background issue PDF

I can not export a DPF file from my InDesign file. I keep getting the message that a background issues has occurred and the PDF can not be saved. HELP!!!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Export stops at 0%

Exporting common documents often results in a "crash" at 0%. No error comes up, it just stays at 0% indefinitely.

If I try stop the export I can't, if I try close InDesign I can't. I have to force quit the program and open it numerous times following in order to get all of my fonts back and registered... even if it's in a package.

Extremely time consuming and painful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks

17. When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
    Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
    you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

18. PDf

I have updated to OSX 10.14 and now my InDesign freezes when I export a PDF. iMac specs attached. I have to force quit the application each time. The strange thing is that even though the app has frozen and the background task shows the PDF as partially complete it seems the PDF is actually being fully created.

Running InDesign 13.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. inDesign Form Fields are Hidden in Acrobat after Export

I created two form fields in inDesign using the Buttons and Forms panel. When I export my pdf (interactive), I cannot see the form fields. Interestingly enough, when I click "Prepare Form" in Acrobat, the form fields appear, and without doing anything, I can save the pdf and the form fields will continue to work as expected. Obviously this is much more time-consuming than if the fields were just visible by default.

My document is very simple: 1 page, a couple lines, minimal text, some hyperlinks (which all function correctly), and the two form fields.

I believe it has something…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The way you have described the issue you are facing is pretty simple and straight-forward. You don’t need to toggle any specific setting to specify Form Fields in InDesign or view them in Acrobat. The Form Fields are visible with a light-bluish background in Acrobat. Wonder what could be causing the issue to happen for you.
    Even though there doesn’t appear to be anything special in the document you are creating, could you share the same so that it can be looked at for troubleshooting?

Adobe InDesign team

20. Wrong characters exported to PDF.

My InDesign-Document uses 1 font only. After exporting a PDF, some character-combinations are replaced by a special character (see Screenshot). After closing and re-opening the document, the error doesn't appear again and the PDF file is exported normally.

InDesign Mac CC 2018 (13.0.1)
    OS X Sierra 12.12.5
    Monotype Fontexplorer 6.0.3

Thank you all!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base