Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. swatches don't merge when importing paragraph styles

When importing paragraph styles from the CC Library, the swatch colors for the styles get added to already existing swatches creating duplicates rather than merging. By the time all paragraph styles are added, there are 10+ swatches of the exact same color....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The PANTONE 540 CP swatch, when added in InDesign, is a CMYK ‘Process’ Color swatch – it comes from the PANTONE Color Bridge Coated library. This swatch was used in a Paragraph Style and this style was added to the CC Libraries.

You also created another swatch (a custom swatch) which has the same name – PANTONE 540 CP but it is a CMYK ‘Spot’ Color swatch. This was present in the document when the Paragraph Style (created above) was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel.

When the Paragraph Style was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel, it found that a swatch with the name “PANTONE 540 CP” already exists in the document. Since swatches with the same name but different definitions cannot exist together in a document, it added the incoming swatch with a different name – “PANTONE 540 CP 2”…

2. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

4. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

7. AIGPUSniffer

Indesign will not open a new or existing file... The AIGPUSniffer open but will not open a InDesign file. I am on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Confirmed by User over email stating that the issue was related to a bad hard drive wire harness and it is now resolved.

8. Can't use num. keypad for shortkeys

Hi, I'm using InDesign v 13.1 x64 (up to date) on my laptop (Windows 10).
    On Photoshop and Illustrator, I've no issue with shortkeys but on InDesign, I can't do "CTRL+0" for example. When I try to edit shortkeys, the software doesn't recognize my input, as if I wasn't pressing "0".
    Thanks for fixing it. :)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In InDesign, the numeric keypad is only meant to assign shortcuts to Styles – Paragraph, Character, Object, Table.

For assigning shortcuts to other Application’s commands, you’ll have to use the other shortcuts – for e.g., to use Cmd+1 to bring image to 100%, you will have to press Cmd and the ‘1’ key that is above the letter keys (on English keyboard, 1 is above letter Q).

Hope it helps to clarify how shortcuts work in InDesign.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

10. Indesign freeze my iMac when launching

I can't launch InDesign. It just freeze my entire computer and I am forced to restart the iMac. Any idea?

I reinstalled it and it didn't make any change...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As confirmed by the user that the issue got resolved after Re-installing Creative Cloud Desktop Application.

Regards
    InDesign Team

11. Not responding at update changes Indesign and Incopy in same time

When have modifieds attributes indesign for incopy, if a user click on "update design" in Incopy and the process of update changes assignments is running in Indesign, the Incopy and Indesign crash!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Changing Document Size

When I click OK to make my changes to the document the application crashes. I am able to preview the changes but that's it. I have tried restarting the application, restarting the computer. I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue.

Running:
    Adobe InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS 10.13.4
    Macbook Pro 2015 2.8 gHz i7

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Incorrect Page Count Value

It appears that InDesign CS6 or any of the later CC versions is incorrectly writing the page count metadata, such as CC2018.

This can be demonstrated using Adobe Bridge or ExifTool with the -XMP-xmp:PageImagePageNumber command.

Files consisting of 1 to 2 pages are correctly reported. In all cases, only 2 pages are being shown, whether the file has 3, 4, 128 pages etc.

Screenshots from Bridge CC2018 uploaded/attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  ansjain responded

Hi Stephen,

There is a preference in InDesign to save preview images with document, by default ‘First 2 Pages’ is selected in that preference. You can change the setting as per your requirement. It is under ‘InDesign CC/ Edit→Preferences→File Handling’.

Thanks
    -Anshul

15. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

17. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

18. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. QuickApply crashes if an image is placed in a table

Version: InD CC 2017 (and previous)

Steps:
    1. Create a table
    2. Place image in a cell (linked or embedded)
    3. Command-Enter (attempt to open quickApply)

Expected result:
    No crash

Actual result:
    crash

File attached

If images are placed in a table cell, InD crashes when using QuickApply.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base