David Goodwin

My feedback

  1. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    23 comments  ·  Adobe InDesign: Bugs » Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

    Hello All,

    Thank you for patience while we were investigating into the root cause of the issue.
    During our investigation we identified that the issue manifests due to Symentec DLP antivirus software.

    Please find below steps to whitelist the application:
    1. From the Enforce console select System > Agents >Application Monitoring.
    2. Select the application to white list. If it is not listed, click on “add application” and provide at least one of the required application binaries.(Refer to Symentec DLP_Console.png for reference)
    Note: DLP attempts to validate every field populated. We recommend using as few as fields as needed. If the whitelist seems to fail, try changing which required field is populated or removing one of the other fields.
    3. Uncheck all of the detection channels under the “Application Monitoring Configuration.”
    4. Click on save and verify the application in the list of monitoring activities is unchecked.
    5. After making…

    David Goodwin supported this idea  · 
    An error occurred while saving the comment
    David Goodwin commented  · 

    I've spent almost two weeks on this issue, and wanted to share it. I am on a new HP ZBook running Windows 10, and trying to run InDesign 2020 (15.0.1 or 0.2).

    I am in a corporate environment with limited user access - ie, I was not the admin of my laptop. Ditto for the rest of my team. When trying to run the latest InDesign, we got an immediate crash - no error, just the crash report. We COULD, however, run it from the Creative Cloud panel - just not from the app, start menu, etc.

    After a lot of tech support from Adobe and internally, we discovered that (apparently) InDesign CC2020 needs full admin rights to run. Not only did we need to have an administrator to set InDesign to "run as admin", we ultimately had to request full admin rights for each of our users simply to run the program. (We also had to change some user account settings to keep alerts from popping up every time we ran it.)

    As you can imagine, this isn't a great answer in a controlled company environment where not everybody SHOULD have full admin access. If this is a pervasive issue and not just due to some weird settings within our system, Adobe really needs to resolve this.

    As far as I could tell, InDesign 2018 worked fine. Also no other CC apps were affected.

  2. 35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    57 comments  ·  Adobe InDesign: Bugs » Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    An error occurred while saving the comment
    David Goodwin commented  · 

    Hey, for folks looking for a quick fix: you SHOULD be able to stop this from happening by going into the default objects styles and unchecking pretty much everything, in all documents involved. I don't know how bulletproof this is, but so far it's working for us.

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    David Goodwin commented  · 

    Update: both of the above issues are on the "Text Frame General Options" tab of the object styles panel. If I had to guess, I'd say that the update (for some reason) starting applying that tab when it had not been applied before.

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    David Goodwin commented  · 

    Recently updated from CC2017. Now at 13.0.1. My team has the same issue on several computers and different files. It looks like this:

    We have a book files with many "chapters.' Master pages are synced. Since the update, syncing the documents causes one of the following two issues on some, but not all, text boxes:

    1) Number of columns set to 1; or
    2) Text inset set to 0

    This can happen within a synced Master Page: ie, the same page synced across two documents has 2 columns in the source and 1 column in the chapter.

    Turning "sync object styles" on and off fixes this problem in some text boxes - but creates an identical problem in other objects. So far, we can't obvious reason why some text boxes work one way and some the other. We don't otherwise use object styles, and nobody on my team has ever reset the default object styles.

    My best guess is that some text boxes are picking up default object styles from the source file, and others from the "local" default object styles.

    It looks like we can manually fix each instance by tweaking the object styles, but there's clearly an underlying bug: object styles behave differently since the update. Either they are overriding the manual styles during sync, or styles have become arbitrarily "checked" during the upgrade, or something else is happening.

    This resembles some issues I've seen on the community forums, although none were exactly identical.

    David Goodwin supported this idea  · 

Feedback and Knowledge Base