Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

2. Clip to Frame paragraph shading

InDesign 13.0 x64 Windows

Create a paragraph style with paragraph shading, width set to column. Set positive left and right offsets. Enable "Clip to Frame".

Expected result: Shading does not extend beyond frame.
    Actual result: Shading offset is clipped on left frame margin, but clipping is not honored on right frame margin.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
    Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
    Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

4. Indesign freezing when trying to change leading in style

Indesign CC 2017.1 release

12.1.0.56 64 build
    I am trying to change the leading for a particular style that is used in footnotes and when I attempt the change Indesign simply freezes. At the moment the leading is 9 pt but I want to increase to 11 pt. I don't have this problem with ordinary styles

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Paragraph style overrides key quick not working

When I select a paragraph and want to keep the character styles, but override the paragraph levels styles while holding down Ctrl/Shift click, this quick key does not work. Nothing happens. It used to work for CC2017. Ctrl click works for overriding character styles though. This is a nuisance, especially when it worked before

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To remove paragraph-level overrides, but preserve character-level overrides and character styles, in the Paragraph Styles panel, hold down Shift+Ctrl and click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the panel.
    To remove character-level overrides, but preserve paragraph formatting overrides, hold down Ctrl as you click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Please also see this article: https://indesignsecrets.com/5-ways-of-removing-overrides-applied-to-paragraphs.php

Adobe InDesign team

6. New, based-on Object style isn't "based on"

Take an Object Style and create a new style based on that style. When the new dialog opens with the based-on name present, it has a number of items chosen and selected, but it's not the same as the based on item.

You could try Duplicate Object Style and then add the based on-name, but while there is no error, any change made to the based-on object does not change the new object style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. properties panel

The tutorials all show the properties panel, but it is nowhere to be found. I tried the Windows tab, no dice. It's really annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Endnote Font Size Problems

Version: InDesign 14

Steps: When placing an endnote in a frame "Loaded by Place Curser", the font size used for the end note does not honor the font size determined by the style. This includes when the paragraph style is set in the endnote options, as well as when the paragraph style is applied by selecting the endnote text.

1. Create endnote style, and set it in endnote options
    2. Set endnote text frame to "loaded by place curser" in endnote options
    3. Add an endnote to the text, and place endnote text frame
    4. The Endnote text added to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?