Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. Version 19.0 does not remember the document path for Save or Exporting to PDF

Since upgrading to v19, it does not default to the path of the original opened document when saving, and Export to a PDF file does not default to the directory of the InDesign document.
    The default is you Documents folder.
    This is not the first time an upgrade has caused this behavior.
    PLEASE fix this !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When we update from InDesign 18.5 to InDesign 19.0, the conversion of documents happen. The document is opened and the user needs to save it. We have to save the document and the same folder from where 18.5 document is opened will be seen. For export workflow without saving the document, export will point to Documents folder.

2. Return the use of "master pages" instead of "parent pages"

In the latest version Adobe decided that their job was to educate us to speak proper language, which is why the word "master pages" was replaced with "parent pages".
    We do not find any problem with the phrase "master pages" and believe that it is not Adobe's role to dictate policy according to progressive agendas.
    We demand to return to the previous concept of "master pages".
    The term "parent pages" is confusing and misleading, with all the documentation of the software on the web for 2 decades referring to master pages.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED  ·  7 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Hyperlink alt text is ignored in the latest version of Indesign

When creating or editing a hyperlink there is an option to add alt text. If you add alt text to your link and export an accessible PDF the alt text is ignored. I have a document with a ton of hyperlinks that all need alt text which we have added but don't come through because of this bug. Now I'm forced to add them again to the PDF.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

According to the ISO-32000, the Hyperlinks are NOT supposed to be populated into the Alt-Text field. They should be entered into the Contents Key (see attachment) instead.
    InDesign currently does place them in the correct place [see screenshot attached].
    While someone using Acrobat can also add them to the Alt-text field, this is technically less correct than entering into the Contents key but either will pass an Accessibility checker.

InDesign implemented this correctly based on the above information (provided by Accessibility experts, like Dax Castro, thanks Dax).

Closing this issue.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Keep Getting an error code 205 when launching InDesign

Bonjour,
    Depuis ma dernière mise à jour InDesign 17.3 le code erreur 205 s’affiche, j’ai essayé de le désinstaller, réinstaller… Mais rien à faire. J’ai donc suivi les instructions d’Abobe par rapport au code erreur 205 mais toujours la même chose. Après avoir insisté j’ai enfin réussi à ouvrir InDesign, tout fonctionnait bien. Mais quand j’ai redémarré mon ordinateur je ne pouvais plus utiliser InDesign (code erreur 205).Aujourd’hui même en téléchargeant la version antérieure le code d’erreur 205 s’affiche au démarrage du logiciel Indesign. Le reste des logiciels eux fonctionne bien. Merci de votre aide !

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign crashes when creating new document

InDesign crashes every time I try to create a new document. I can only start from an existing document. Version 2021

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Required indesign API to integrate with ARAS

Request you to share Indesign API to integrate with ARAS

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign 15.1.1 English dictionary missing plural word spellings

Since the update every plural word version is not in the dictionary. Simple, basic words like 'years' and 'days' now show as a spelling error. It was working fine before the latest update. Get it fixed - it's pointless having the spellchecker when so many basic words are missing!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Publish online no longer allows hyphens and dashes in title

Is this a new restriction or a bug. It started after the update to 2021 version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Error code: 3 - Cannot save <filename>. The file <DBTMPxxxxxxx> is damaged.

Ever since I updated my system to Mojave 10.14.6, I have been getting an "error code: 3" warning when saving my file in InDesign 16.1.0.20. Tried doing a "Save As" and adjusting the file name slightly, but nothing I've tried has worked yet. I have had to save an IDML and revert to InDesign 15.1.3.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Controller skin for embedded video

I've been using InDesign to create PDF publications with embedded videos. When I created them in earlier versions of InDesign there was an option in the Interactive/Media window to choose a controller skin. I'm up to date with InDesign/CC and this has disappeared. The videos still exist in the exported PDF, but there is no obvious way for the end user to play/pause/rewind the video. This is an essential feature for the work I do. What now?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The Book panel does not remember its size and location

The Book panel is the only panel in InDesign that doesn't remember its size and position when you close and re-open it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new book (File > New > Book). The book panel is shown at the centre of the screen. No need to add documents to it.
    2. Move the panel to another location on the screen, and change its size in the usual way (click-drag on a corner of the panel).
    3. Save the book and close it.
    4. Re-open the book.

Expected behaviour: the book panel is opened at the same location and at the same…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Book panel is a special type of panel that is always associated with the .INDB file – unlike other panels where there is no actual association with a file on disk. The panel also shows the name of the Book file. If that INDB file is deleted, then the panel does not have any meaning.
    Only when the Book file is opened is the Book panel available. So it can’t be part of a workspace & thus its size and location also can’t be fixed as there could be multiple Book files that can be opened simultaneously.

InDesign team

13. Share link is low resolution

Make the web preview higher resolution.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Some spreads gone grey and only export as blank pages in 15.1.1

I have a 48-page magazine about to go to print and three spreads have suddenly gone grey - as you see in screenshot. In the Pages panel they appear blank and when I export them - also blank. Getting worried...

Separately, the "Fit Page/Spread in Window" instead zooms in to 2,642% magnification.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Use Auto-Sizing and Text Wrap Frame on causes application crash

Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)

• create and connect two text frames
    • set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options
    • Insert text into two frames full
    • overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON
    • move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)
    • close documents with Command + W

During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
    Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hi
    Based on internal investigation and customer comments, we have concluded that the issue got fixed in InDesign 15.0.2 and that issue happens with InDesign 15.0.1 version only.

Please start a new thread in case you see the issue happen with InDesign 15.0.2

Thanks

16. Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

(Hmm ... tried to attach an INDD file and I'm told they're not allowed. Really? OK ... will try a ZIP file with the INDD inside. Nope ... ZIP won't work either. Uploading a PNG screenshot)

Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

Please see the attached sample file.

On page 1 and 2 you will find a variety of 2-column frames with column rule applied.

In each case, the column rule will fail BECAUSE the first item in the frame is a Table. But, on page 2 I've added one extra example…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

18. ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window

ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window or if anchored picture is moving between pages. I can send indd file to Adobe if they want.
    Thx...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. freezing

I use InDesign 15.0.2 on Win 10 and it constantly freezes / crashes. Or on and off complains that certain Adobe fonts are missing. Opening and closing the file restores the fonts.
    E.g. when I open my file and try to change a stroke color InDesign freezes.
    InDesign is basically useless.

Hope you can give me a solution to fix this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Crash when changing bullet character options

Just updated to the newest InDesign version (as of 28.03.2020).
    Whenever changing the character style on a bullet list, in my case trying to change the character color of the bullet/numbering character (1., 2., 3. ...) , either via paragraph style -> bullet options or directl via character style window, InDesign crashes. The application does not crash when I choose the "Overprint Fill" option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base