Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Menu item "Convert footnotes and endnotes" missing

Although my software is up to date, the option "Convert footnotes to endnotes" is missing from my "Type" menu item (image). The interface is in portuguese, but you can see there are only four itens on the footnote/endnote area, the fifth ("Convert footnote to endnote") is really missing...
    I tried unistalling and installing InDesign again from Creative Cloud but it didn´t solve this issue. This menu item is also unavailable on Edit>Menus...
    System: Windows 10 / 64 bits
    Adobe Indesign (2020): 15.1.1 x64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign 15.1.1 English dictionary missing plural word spellings

Since the update every plural word version is not in the dictionary. Simple, basic words like 'years' and 'days' now show as a spelling error. It was working fine before the latest update. Get it fixed - it's pointless having the spellchecker when so many basic words are missing!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. placing text at cursor jumps in rtl in InDesign 15.1.1.103

When placing a story at cursor using a right-to-left story frame, the cursor is in the wrong place.

This has also been filed as Bug ID-4219127

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. BUG: spell-checker not automatically applied after pasting text

When pasting text into a new frame, the correct language (german 2006 in my case) for spellchecker is selected, but not applied to the new text. I need to select the the text and choose a different language for spell-check and then change back to the correct language, then it works.

A pain in the a**, if you have to copy-n-paste many snippets from different documents to single frames.

INDD 15.0.3 x64 on Win 10 x64 (1909)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Khmer Script Punctuation Line Breaking Is Broken

Regression Bug (used to work in InDesign CS 5.5)

Adobe InDesign CC 15.03 currently will break lines between Khmer script and its punctuation even though no space is present (Khmer Unicode Punctuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmerscript#Spacingand_punctuation ) as pictured in the attachment.

Desired Result: Khmer punctuation should stay with the Khmer script preceding it (just like an English period, comma, question mark, etc. does). The whole word should line break with the punctuation (currently Khmer uses zero-width spaces [U+200B] to indicate a word-boundary).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height" causes InDesign 2020 to freeze

Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height", text aligned to baseline and anchored object settings "anchored position: custom", "anchorPoint: bottom left/center/right" causes InDesign 2020 (15.0.1) to freeze (on Mac and PC).

1. create an new document (size doesn't matter)

2. create an new textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

3. create a second textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

4. insert some text in second generated textframe

5. select the text and apply the option "align to baseline".

6. anchor second textframe into the first created textframe

7. set anchored object settings of the anchored textframe to: "anchored position: custom" and "anchorPoint: bottom left or bottom center or bottom right"

8. select the anchored…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Serious problem of "^" for GREP search

Enter only "^" in the GREP search string field and click the search button to select the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph. But this cannot be used for replacement. The replacement result is 0.
    I gave up that it was only useful for simple pointing tricks, but when I run it from a script the application hangs.

It is like this. (When executed, the rainbow cursor will rotate forever.
    Please be careful. )

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "^";
    var res = app.activeDocument.findGrep ();

If the replacement string field is "~ c" (the contents of the clipboard), the first character…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. ID 2020 - Indent in combination with wrap text around an image not working

In Indesign 2020, whenever I want to wrap text next to an image, but the text also has an indent the text jumps from the supposed position.
    In Indesign 2019 this did not happen. The text was wrapped nicely next to the image, the way you should expect.

My guess what happens here, is that the indent specs are applied not the the edge of the frame, but to the edge of the text. Which corrupts the spacing between the image and the text.

I'm working with the latest 2020 version on iMac with Catalina

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Paragraph shading not aligned in justified text when optical alignment is on

If optical margin alignment (story) is ON the paragraph shading doesn't align on the right margin of justified text. hyphens seem to push the edge of the shading out. This is in build 13.1.1 but is also reported in 15.0.0.155. I cannot update to the newest version without buying a new computer—so I won't be anytime soon or maybe ever. So I hope that the bug would get fixed retroactively. My original post is here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/paragraph-shading-text-width-not-justifying/m-p/10750103#M164426

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Optical Kerning issues after recent v15 update

After the recent update (v15.0), I am having issues with Optical kerning, specifically with the font Noto Serif Khmer (Cambodian font). The kerning is completely off. I've opened the file in v14.0.3 and everything works fine in that version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Burmese font rendering error

InDesign CC 15
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Glyph substitution not working with certain Oriya and Bengali glyphs

The following words in cannot be reproduced in InDesign. It seems the glyph substitution is not working in about 1% of cases.

র‍্যানিবিজুমাব — Bengali
    ମହତ୍ଵପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ — Oriya
    ସ୍ଵେଚ୍ଛାକୃତ — Oriya
    କିମ୍ଵା — Oriya

It looks fine above, in any text editor, or in any Microsoft app, but does NOT look right in any Adobe app I tested, such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop CC 2019 and 2020 of each.
    I am applying the World-Ready Composers.
    I have tried copy+pasting the text from Word and also tried the Place command in InDesign.
    I've tested in both the English North America and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Indents incorrect when importing Word document

When importing a Word document that contains some indented paragraphs, the left indent being set to 5mm in Word (for example), once placed in InDesign, these 5mm indents typically show as 4.992mm. This would not neccesarily be a problem except that Find/Change in InDesign will not recognise an indent to 3 decimal places and therefore this cannot be located easily and fixed. This is proving to be a big problem in my workflow as I cannot automate the process of re-styling these paragraphs using InDesign Paragraph Styles with Find/Change. This bug occurs whatever measurement system is used, i.e. mm, inches,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern

Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern. Unicode pattern is U+##1a. Here are some of those characters:

U+011a
    U+021a
    U+031a
    U+041a
    U+051a
    U+061a
    U+071a
    U+081a

You could try the attached test file for placement in to an InDesign document. Unicode of the character following the footnote marker is : U+011a

This happen when file format of the file is either RTF or DOC. Its not a issue with DOCX.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Spellcheck not working

The Spellcheck tool does not work as of version 14.0.1
    The spellcheck window pops open but "spellcheck complete"message appears. Clicking "start" does nothing. This happens in all documents. All the settings and user dictionary seem correct.

I tried selecting all the options in the "search" dropdown menu but nothing works. Spellcheck simply won't start.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base