Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. Indesign crashes when I export 2 PDF files in a row.

I always create two PDF files for clients. One with spreads and one with single pages. But every time I try to export the second PDF (no matter which I do first) the app crashes.

This happens every single time, even if I wait until the first PDF is long finished.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Using Text Wrap causes InDesign to crash!

When I use the text wrap or copy/paste an object with text wrap applied, the program crashes.

I noticed this is only happening when I attempt to add them to a page that includes a table in it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time.

Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time. Copying text from inside of a box or copying a single object doesn't seem to cause the crash to happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Resize text box crashes InDesign

Resizing a text box crashes InDesign CC 2018.

I need a text box to be larger to (accommodate more text) and every method I've tried to enlarge it crashes InDesign.
    - Drag corner (any corner); crash.
    - Manually input larger width or height; crash.
    - Change text box properties to auto-size based on amount of text...add text; crash.

I NEED to add text to this file TODAY.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. 2018 crashes

I am able to get to the point of "do you want to start automatic recovery..i'll hit yes and no...crashes right after that

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. InDesign 2017 file on file server with High Sierra

We have Panzura file servers here and anytime we try to open an InDesign file with CC 2017 it completely crashes any mac that tries to open it, immediate kernel panic with both InDesign and Finder being the cause. So we tried to copy the files to the desktop and open them from there, no dice.

How on earth did Adobe not catch this bug? You guys had 3 months access at least to the dev prereleases like the rest of the software vendors, this is pretty unacceptable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Adobe inDesign is shutting down

Adobe in Design is shutting dow. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents. This happened when importing an image cmd D.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED  ·  0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Version 19.0 does not remember the document path for Save or Exporting to PDF

Since upgrading to v19, it does not default to the path of the original opened document when saving, and Export to a PDF file does not default to the directory of the InDesign document.
    The default is you Documents folder.
    This is not the first time an upgrade has caused this behavior.
    PLEASE fix this !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When we update from InDesign 18.5 to InDesign 19.0, the conversion of documents happen. The document is opened and the user needs to save it. We have to save the document and the same folder from where 18.5 document is opened will be seen. For export workflow without saving the document, export will point to Documents folder.

17. Publish online no longer allows hyphens and dashes in title

Is this a new restriction or a bug. It started after the update to 2021 version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Crash when changing bullet character options

Just updated to the newest InDesign version (as of 28.03.2020).
    Whenever changing the character style on a bullet list, in my case trying to change the character color of the bullet/numbering character (1., 2., 3. ...) , either via paragraph style -> bullet options or directl via character style window, InDesign crashes. The application does not crash when I choose the "Overprint Fill" option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign freezes and then crashes

Version: InDesign 15.0.1 x64
    Issue(s): 1. One example is that when working in InDesign and go to save a file the application shows that the icon is spinning and never seems to stop spinning. Then an error message pops up on the screen indicating some sort of issue and then the application crashes to the desktop.
    2. When opening up a file that I have been working on it takes a while to open and when it does open it opens a prior file that I was working on.
    Expected Results: 1. When saving a file I am expecting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Crashes on quick apply

My InDesign crashes when I use the quick apply shortcut (command enter).

Computer specs
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    OS X 10.13.6
    8GB RAM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base