Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue and allowing us some time to complete our investigation into the issue.
    As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email and we could come up with the below mentioned findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For the majority of the users the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    3. We also found few cases where the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

Please note that we have created separate threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created…

3. Indesign cc 2018 crash mounted volume on "Save As..."

Environment:
    - Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (13.1.0.76),
    - MacOS v 10.12.6.
    - Mounted SMB share (Windows Server 2012 R2 full share permissions).

When editing a document on the mounted SMB share, then doing a "Save As...", there's a delay, then pinwheels, then crashes.

Attached are the screen shots of the dialog boxes that occurs as it crashes, plus the Apple crash report.

It does NOT crash on "Save".

It does NOT crash on "Save A Copy..." UNLESS - sometimes you try to save over a pre-existing document. It will complain that the file is open even if it isn't…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.

All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.

Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Error code: 6 - Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file <filename> is damaged

Working off remotely off a server (been doing it this way for years without issue). Today, I tried to open my InDesign file and it only partially loaded (with some linked images missing). Then I get the prompt "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "Ebook-3WaysToHoseYourAD-US-GM-32410.indd" is damaged (Error code:6).

What can I do to restore my file?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Indesign crashes when I export 2 PDF files in a row.

I always create two PDF files for clients. One with spreads and one with single pages. But every time I try to export the second PDF (no matter which I do first) the app crashes.

This happens every single time, even if I wait until the first PDF is long finished.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Exporting a Snippet Causes Crash

Whenever I try to export a snippet, either through dragging the ID item onto the desktop, or by going to File > Export > Snippet, InDesign will crash. The only way to get a snippet is by adding it to a library by using the flout menu in the Library panel.

I am on mac OS 13.13.3 and InDesign 13.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Place PDF causes InDesign to fail requiring force quit.

InDesign CC 13.1, OSX 10.13.5 on iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2014.

All updates are latest available. Attempting to place a PDF file (single page) into an InDesign document with "Show Import Options" selected (only) results in a mostly-empty "Place PDF" dialog box. Mousing over the box causes missing parts to appear one-by-one, except the "Place" button. Clicking "cancel" closes the dialog box but then many/most InDesign functions no longer work, including menu items. InDesign won't quit, either from the File/Quit menu item or command-Q. Only way to restore the application is to force quit. This bug is 100% repeatable.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Combination of characters crashing ID

When I type or paste or apply style, or try anything in this paragraph, InDesign crashes. ("SUMARIVA, Paulo Henrique. Inquérito policial deixa de ser inquisitivo: Lei 13.245/16 altera as regras da investigação criminal. Jusbrasil, 19 jan. 2016. Disponível em: http://paulosumariva.jusbrasil.com.br/artigos/296224010/inquerito-policial-deixa-de-ser-inquisitivo-lei-13245-2016-altera-as-regras-da-investigacao-criminal. Acesso em 18 fev. 2016.").

Maybe a combination of characters is causing the crash. I also ask for a friend to paste the paragraph (I sent using Skype) and his InDesign crashes too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign fails to launch

I cannot start InDesign on my Windows 10 notebook even though the rest of the Adobe apps work relatively well. On my main PC it runs without any problems. I tried re-installing the software, but it didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign Crashes on Opening from a Book Panel Multiple INDDs with Modified Links

Machine: MacBook Pro 13 in mid-2012 (i7, 2.9 GHz, 16 GB RAM)
    App: InDesign 13.1.0.76 (but basically every subversion of 13)

1. I have several INDBs containing from 6 to around 20 INDDs each.

2. Most INDDs contain from 3 to 60 cross-references (since book-spanning TOCs often crash InDesign, but that’s for another topic) – mostly within the respective INDD, but one INDD per book always has CRs to other INDDs within the same book or in other books.
      (My typical INDD contents: 2–48 facing pages with threaded, 1-column text boxes, therein several dozens of “custom” anchored objects, mostly containing text and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. page tool causes crash

Every time I try to use the page tool, the app crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Constantly crashing for me and colleague

HELP!
    InDesign crashes pretty much everytime I open it, or try to open two documents at once.

I have looked into it and apparently it could be a problem with a recovery file. How can I clear all my recovery files? I have tried to find the path from the preferences but it wont let me view the whole path.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. "Generating PDF" dialog opens randomly, crashes InDesign

Indesign version: 13.1 x 64

After updating to this version, I have been having an issue where the "Generating PDF" dialog box will open unprompted at seemingly random times. The "Generating PDF" and "Downloading Image" bars are present, and begin to fill up. The "Downloading Image" bar appears to finish, but the "Generating PDF" never fills up all the way. InDesign becomes entirely unresponsive during this process, and I have to Force Quit the application to proceed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Table Eyedropper crash

Running High Sierra 10.13.2

InDesign version CC2018 13.1

Crashes when trying to select text within a table with the eyedropper tool, InDesign immediately crashes. This has been a problem for a couple of versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base