Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. freezing

I use InDesign 15.0.2 on Win 10 and it constantly freezes / crashes. Or on and off complains that certain Adobe fonts are missing. Opening and closing the file restores the fonts.
    E.g. when I open my file and try to change a stroke color InDesign freezes.
    InDesign is basically useless.

Hope you can give me a solution to fix this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Crash when generating Table of Contents

Right what it says on the tin: When I try to generate a Table of Contents from a large Book file (about 14 chapters, maybe 180ish pages total) , InDesign abruptly crashes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. crash Indesign CC 2020 – Mojave 10.14.6

Hi,

I have the following situation.

Still working on Mojave 10.14.6, but using Indesign 2020.
    (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017, iMac18.3, Intel Core i5, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4)
    As a precaution, I did not want to upgrade to Catalina 15.00 until I completed my current work.

Description of the Indesign file:
    Folder, 20 pages, complex data from Photoshop and Illustrator, various layers in Indesign.

Situation in Indesign 2020:
    unexpected, frequent crashes, especially when copying and pasting elements, when scrolling quickly within pages or when creating PDFs.

Situation in Indesign 2019:
    I then created an idml-file and opened it in Indesign 2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

7. CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (*.psp and/or *.indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. content aware fit frame

I just updated to cs2019. Selected the new feature 'content aware fit to frame'. Created a new document and inserted a new frame, tried to place a PDF image, keeps crashing. Turned the feature off and all ok again. Anyone else having this problem?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. workspace

After a crash, no workspaces will load properly, neither pre-existing nor created. Right now I have to move between Essentials Classic and Interactive for PDF just to try to get most of the tools - though some tool I still cannot access. There is no top bar and few tools that load, plus the files when they open are sized tiny and hiding. I have to float in window to get them to appear.

I have tried to reset them and create a new workspace, but cannot get anything to help...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
    1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
    2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
    3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
    4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
    5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Indesign CS6 crash when I type or cancel text in table

I have problem with Indesign CS& tested with WIN7 or WIN10 with 2 different machine ... when I type or cancel text in table the program crash.
    I try to reinstall and I download last update but the problem is the same.
    I want buy a new version CC2018 but I tested TRIAL VERSION and the problem is the same.
    There is a person in ADOBE that can solve me this question ?
    I can send him a zip file created with LOG COLLECTOR TOOL.
    Thank you in advance. Best regards.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Indesign crashes when I export 2 PDF files in a row.

I always create two PDF files for clients. One with spreads and one with single pages. But every time I try to export the second PDF (no matter which I do first) the app crashes.

This happens every single time, even if I wait until the first PDF is long finished.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base