Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6 results found

1. Return the use of "master pages" instead of "parent pages"

In the latest version Adobe decided that their job was to educate us to speak proper language, which is why the word "master pages" was replaced with "parent pages".
    We do not find any problem with the phrase "master pages" and believe that it is not Adobe's role to dictate policy according to progressive agendas.
    We demand to return to the previous concept of "master pages".
    The term "parent pages" is confusing and misleading, with all the documentation of the software on the web for 2 decades referring to master pages.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CLOSED  ·  7 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Some spreads gone grey and only export as blank pages in 15.1.1

I have a 48-page magazine about to go to print and three spreads have suddenly gone grey - as you see in screenshot. In the Pages panel they appear blank and when I export them - also blank. Getting worried...

Separately, the "Fit Page/Spread in Window" instead zooms in to 2,642% magnification.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. hyperlinks missing or corrupt when opening CC2017 documents into CC2019

InDesign files opened from CC2017 (They were on our backup server from a job 3 years ago) using InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Win10 64bit (CC2019) -
    They open fine without any issue except the hyperlinks - they are all broken/corrupt. When doubleclicking on one, it is effectively blank, as if I were making a new one.
    I tried saving as .idml and reloading, but it was still the same. How can I get these hyperlinks back to normal? Do I have to reinstall CC2017 again (is that even possible?).
    Any help greatly appreciated

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. pages tab unable to scroll past spread 42-43

I have a book with 56 pages. The 'Pages' tab can only scroll to pages 42-43. I can't get to the pages below. This makes it impossible to rearrange pages below 42-43.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Strange Whitespace areas

I am using CC2019 and the have the same issue in CC2020. I have mysterious areas of whitespace that I can't use appearing on my pages. Please see the attached file. The file is part of a book. Page 110 (relative to book's start, the third spread in the file) is where the trouble starts.

I don't mean to be a nuisance but sorting this out is rather urgent. I am going to destroy the document and start again out of desperation.

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

I have tried reducing image sizes.
    I have tried analysing the story.
    I have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here