Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Crash with the lign tool and arrow
    Indesign 14.0.1

steps to reproduce the issues :
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ccJfKeoi1dw3gDSCZ-jcjhNdT9qPkkm?usp=sharing

best regards,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign 14.1

Opening InDesign just by itself makes it freeze completely. Ball of death (on Mac) .
    It asks me if I want to start automatic recovery however I can't click on any of the options because the ball of death doesn't let me. The window with the recovery message consequently shows up on top of any other screen.

I could make InDesign work ONCE yesterday after restarting and today it completely crashes again. Unfortunately it also means one of my files is now stuck 'open' which is untimely.
    This is the latest verstion both of InDesign as well as Mac OS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. content aware fit frame

I just updated to cs2019. Selected the new feature 'content aware fit to frame'. Created a new document and inserted a new frame, tried to place a PDF image, keeps crashing. Turned the feature off and all ok again. Anyone else having this problem?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. workspace

After a crash, no workspaces will load properly, neither pre-existing nor created. Right now I have to move between Essentials Classic and Interactive for PDF just to try to get most of the tools - though some tool I still cannot access. There is no top bar and few tools that load, plus the files when they open are sized tiny and hiding. I have to float in window to get them to appear.

I have tried to reset them and create a new workspace, but cannot get anything to help...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Assembled files in assignments crash regularly when updated

Assignments in Indesign regularly crash the program when parts need updating This is especially bad when an assigned part has been worked on in the assigned file or if the respective file runs over various pages or if it contains complex .ai-images. As soon as you click on the yellow icon to update a part Indesign crashes again and again. To solve the problem I have deleted certain text files completely from the assembly and reentered them afterwards, which is much more effort and doesn't always work.
    I had this problem before, a few months ago, but lately it has…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Fails with certain Illustrator images

It happened a few times to me that Indesign keeps crashing when certain (complex) .ai images are used - which shouldn't be as I thought Adobe files would perfectly interact with other Adobe programs.
    When these are changed to png images and I am able to open the Indesign file and update them, Indesign works perfectly well again. At times it is not possible at all to open the file or change the image and the file needs to be reacreated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. font size panel freeze windows 10

InDesign 13 and 14.0 / Windows 10 x64

when i click on font size panel for change value, windows freeze and others indesign list panels (color - fonts) chase the mouse movements.
    For restore windows and bugs panel, i need to use the menu mouse button with one click.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Version 13.1

Version 13.1 crashes several times a day. For various reasons, ex. try to drag and drop pictures from finder into indesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. InDesign Crash with Outlook

I am working on a Mac (Mojave - 10.14) using InDesign CC 2019. The bug is that when I open InDesign with Outlook already open, InDesign all of a sudden begins eating up memory, at about 1 GB every few seconds, until it reaches about 130 GB then force-quits not only InDesign but Outlook. However, after rebooting, if I first launch InDesign THEN Outlook, this doesn't happen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Help > About

Going to Help > About to see what version I'm using causes InDesign to freeze and crash.
    InDesign 14.0 x 64
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS build 17134.345

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. PDF Export & Text field crash

I have also downloaded Indesign CC 2019 and encounter a lot of bugs. I can't select a color profile for the PDF export and every time I click into a text field while layouting the complete program hangs. Unfortunately, you can't work with the program like this at the moment!

Solution for the problem with the PDF export: Preset PDF export profiles and then select them. So you can bypass the problem a bit. For the second problem I can't find a solution and am very annoyed, because there are also the same probleme with the other programs of CC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

15. Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
    But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

Testing:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

20. Indesign will start but will not create a new doc or open a previous one.

I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and Indesign CC 2018. The program has been working great but suddenly, beginning last night, InDesign will start up but when I go to create a new document nothing happens. I tried to open a document I had made the day before and it would no open either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, trashed my preferences, but still not working. I get no warnings or spinning color wheels. What is going on?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base