Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. Crash on Launch

When launching InDesign and Illustrator 2018, I get the attached alert. Illustrator will always show this alert but does function. InDesign will always show this alert and it opens once. Thereafter it will crash on launch every time until I reinstall it and then I get one launch again and repeated crashes on launch until I reistall. This is on two separate Macs running HIgh Sierra

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign 12.1.0.56 Mac crashes when launching files from Box.com

Cannot click on file on Box.com or without crashing InDesign. DO not have problem on other computers with older versions of InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indesign Crashes when updating any document which uses SkyFonts fonts.(Provided that SkyFont is exited)

Steps:
    SFC Build: 5.9.2.0(Prod build- also from long time before that) 5.9.2.118
    Indesign Build: 2017.1 Release (12.1.0.56 x64 Build)

Steps:
    Launch SkyFonts and Indesign.
    Create a new document in indesign and use some trial fonts which are available in skyfonts.
    Exit the SkyFont client.
    Try to update the document.
    See that Indesign crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Keep Getting an error code 205 when launching InDesign

Bonjour,
    Depuis ma dernière mise à jour InDesign 17.3 le code erreur 205 s’affiche, j’ai essayé de le désinstaller, réinstaller… Mais rien à faire. J’ai donc suivi les instructions d’Abobe par rapport au code erreur 205 mais toujours la même chose. Après avoir insisté j’ai enfin réussi à ouvrir InDesign, tout fonctionnait bien. Mais quand j’ai redémarré mon ordinateur je ne pouvais plus utiliser InDesign (code erreur 205).Aujourd’hui même en téléchargeant la version antérieure le code d’erreur 205 s’affiche au démarrage du logiciel Indesign. Le reste des logiciels eux fonctionne bien. Merci de votre aide !

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Error code: 3 - Cannot save <filename>. The file <DBTMPxxxxxxx> is damaged.

Ever since I updated my system to Mojave 10.14.6, I have been getting an "error code: 3" warning when saving my file in InDesign 16.1.0.20. Tried doing a "Save As" and adjusting the file name slightly, but nothing I've tried has worked yet. I have had to save an IDML and revert to InDesign 15.1.3.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window

ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window or if anchored picture is moving between pages. I can send indd file to Adobe if they want.
    Thx...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. InDesign Suffers Major Performance Issues When InCopy Files Are Linked To .indd File

I use InDesign a lot for production art. Mostly I layout text and images for product manuals that range between 110 - 250 pages. It runs like a champ on both my Dell XPS 8930 and iMac 2019. Both machines are robust with 32 Gb of ram. However, once I convert text and graphics to InCopy files, I see a huge drop in machine performance. Doing the slightest things like updating the ICMA / ICML file will hang or crash InDesign. Even saving the file can take 2 minutes. I've had 3 instances where the InDesign file got corrupted from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign crashes sporadically while scaling/rotating objects

I've noticed numerous times that InDesign will crash while scaling/rotating objects. Can you please fix this bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Crashes on opening document created in indd 2019

Crashed as soon as I opened a document from 2019. After several tries, I was able to open the same document successfully, but it didn't recognize fonts in the Document fonts folder. It didn't matter whether it was opened from within InDesign or from the Finder. The successful attempt was from the Finder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Deleting a table row containing text crashes InDesign

Quite simply, deleting a table row with 3 columns and a combination of text and font awesome crashes when using right click -> delete -> row.

I can replicate the issue every single time across multiple documents.
    The current workaround for me is to delete all the content in the table row then deleting the row seems to be OK.

Indesign: 15.0.1
    Mac OS: Mojave 10.14.6 (MacBook Pro)
    Note: This didn't happen on InDesign v14.0.3.

Thanks,
    Aaron

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign 2020 freezes when placing articles with endnotes (big file)

Working with a approximately 500 paged book, 30 articles with endnotes.

Now with 20 articles / 300 pages done, InDesign 2020 freezes when placing new articles.

Please, please, please: fix the issue with a possibility to keep all endnotes in a separate ID-file (linking endnotes to other ID-files)! Because of this, now forced to have the whole, massive book in one ID-file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Indesign 2020 Crashing when deleting color swatches

Indesign 2020 has been repeatedly crashing when a color swatch (or multiple swatches) in a document are deleted and replaced with an existing swatch. Indesign crashes the moment "ok" is pressed on the "Delete Swatches" popup.

This has been happening since I updated to InDesign 2020, approximately 10 times in the past week, most, but not every, time that I delete swatches. This has happened in multiple documents, regardless of whether it is a single swatch or group of swatches being deleted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Problem with Object and Table menu

I'm running the latest version of InDesignCC 2020 v.15.0. Every time I go to the Object or Table menu, InDesign crashes. This happens every time, I had that problem in the previous versions of InDesign, but it is getting really bad now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Book/Index

Indesign CC 2019 und Indesign CC 2018:
    Absturz beim Generieren des Index bei einem Buch mit vielen Kapiteln.
    Das Buch hat 156 Kapitel (von 1 Seite bis 30 Seiten) - beim Aktualisieren des Index reproduzierbarer Absturz.
    Das Buch hat 822 Seiten.
    Kein Crashreport möglich - der Dialog erscheint nicht (auch nach REG Datei nicht).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. freeze

1. ID version 14.0.3.
    2. I launch ID.
    3. Buttons should normally be clickable
    4. However, ID freezes after appr. 1 second and nothing is remotely clickable. Only way to close the program is by shutting it down via taks manager
    5. ----
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base