Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. Crashes on opening document created in indd 2019

Crashed as soon as I opened a document from 2019. After several tries, I was able to open the same document successfully, but it didn't recognize fonts in the Document fonts folder. It didn't matter whether it was opened from within InDesign or from the Finder. The successful attempt was from the Finder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign freezes and then crashes

Version: InDesign 15.0.1 x64
    Issue(s): 1. One example is that when working in InDesign and go to save a file the application shows that the icon is spinning and never seems to stop spinning. Then an error message pops up on the screen indicating some sort of issue and then the application crashes to the desktop.
    2. When opening up a file that I have been working on it takes a while to open and when it does open it opens a prior file that I was working on.
    Expected Results: 1. When saving a file I am expecting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign Suffers Major Performance Issues When InCopy Files Are Linked To .indd File

I use InDesign a lot for production art. Mostly I layout text and images for product manuals that range between 110 - 250 pages. It runs like a champ on both my Dell XPS 8930 and iMac 2019. Both machines are robust with 32 Gb of ram. However, once I convert text and graphics to InCopy files, I see a huge drop in machine performance. Doing the slightest things like updating the ICMA / ICML file will hang or crash InDesign. Even saving the file can take 2 minutes. I've had 3 instances where the InDesign file got corrupted from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Crash when generating Table of Contents

Right what it says on the tin: When I try to generate a Table of Contents from a large Book file (about 14 chapters, maybe 180ish pages total) , InDesign abruptly crashes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign crashes sporadically while scaling/rotating objects

I've noticed numerous times that InDesign will crash while scaling/rotating objects. Can you please fix this bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Crashes on quick apply

My InDesign crashes when I use the quick apply shortcut (command enter).

Computer specs
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    OS X 10.13.6
    8GB RAM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Deleting a table row containing text crashes InDesign

Quite simply, deleting a table row with 3 columns and a combination of text and font awesome crashes when using right click -> delete -> row.

I can replicate the issue every single time across multiple documents.
    The current workaround for me is to delete all the content in the table row then deleting the row seems to be OK.

Indesign: 15.0.1
    Mac OS: Mojave 10.14.6 (MacBook Pro)
    Note: This didn't happen on InDesign v14.0.3.

Thanks,
    Aaron

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. crash Indesign CC 2020 – Mojave 10.14.6

Hi,

I have the following situation.

Still working on Mojave 10.14.6, but using Indesign 2020.
    (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017, iMac18.3, Intel Core i5, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4)
    As a precaution, I did not want to upgrade to Catalina 15.00 until I completed my current work.

Description of the Indesign file:
    Folder, 20 pages, complex data from Photoshop and Illustrator, various layers in Indesign.

Situation in Indesign 2020:
    unexpected, frequent crashes, especially when copying and pasting elements, when scrolling quickly within pages or when creating PDFs.

Situation in Indesign 2019:
    I then created an idml-file and opened it in Indesign 2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Indesign 2020 Crashing when deleting color swatches

Indesign 2020 has been repeatedly crashing when a color swatch (or multiple swatches) in a document are deleted and replaced with an existing swatch. Indesign crashes the moment "ok" is pressed on the "Delete Swatches" popup.

This has been happening since I updated to InDesign 2020, approximately 10 times in the past week, most, but not every, time that I delete swatches. This has happened in multiple documents, regardless of whether it is a single swatch or group of swatches being deleted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign 2020 freezes when placing articles with endnotes (big file)

Working with a approximately 500 paged book, 30 articles with endnotes.

Now with 20 articles / 300 pages done, InDesign 2020 freezes when placing new articles.

Please, please, please: fix the issue with a possibility to keep all endnotes in a separate ID-file (linking endnotes to other ID-files)! Because of this, now forced to have the whole, massive book in one ID-file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base