Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. InDesign Export PDF - Misisng font style (i.e., italic, bold, tiny text changed)

Dear InDesign Folks,

We've found some font style attribute changed in PDF file, another one issue is Ligature text missed out at PDF file.

Application: InDesign CC 2015.0 Version 11.0.
    Windows: 7 & 10 Pro

Steps & Process:
    1. We are generating 2 set of PDF with different Job-options.

1. PAP Layer enabled PDF (i.e., particular layer enabled and creating the PDF, it's contains Images and Text like water mark).

2. PRINT Layer disabled PDF (i.e., disabled the layer which we enabled in step 2).

3. Using JavaScript generating 2 sets of PDF at a time.

4. PRINT, disabled layer and generating PDF with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Selection of PDF Comments

InDesign CC2019 (14.02 x64) Windows 10

I am only able to select the corresponding sticky note icon from imported PDF comments at 100% or less view magnification. This is unhelpful as at this scale, large dimension sized documents the text is greeked out, I need to zoom in to see what is written in my document to compare against the comment, but then have to zoom back out to select the next icon to bring that comment to the fore of the list.

Please correct so I can select sticky notes while panning throughout a document at >100%.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    Has is started to happen in Id 14.0.2? Was it working fine before?

3. Pasting Chinese text from illustrator to Indesign changes the content of the text. Help!

I have text in Illustrator that are in Chinese, using 苹方-简 typeface. When I copy and paste the same text into Indesign, the text changes into new characters.

I know you need to expand the characters to use as vectors, but sometimes we need to change the text and go back and forth before finalizing. The question is why does it not do that for english text? I copy and paste between illustrator and indesign all the time, but this is the first time I've come across changing the text content completely.

Running CC 2019 for all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. non-functional „Ungroup Remembers Layers“ on duplicated page

ungroup on duplicated page move all object to one layer (ungroup remembers layers works only on „original“ page or with „copy/paste“)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. text will only align left in Indesign 14.0.2 on Apple MacOs 10.14.3

text will only align left in Indesign 14.0.2 on Apple MacOs 10.14.3 after last update

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Library objects jump when being dragged onto the page

In InDesign CC 14.0.1 objects dragged from a library jump from the designated location to the pasteboard at the top of the spread. They can be repositioned easily enough by dragging but it takes extra time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign CC does not open

Indesign CC 14.0.1 does not open. When I want to open Indesign it shows the loading screen but after that indesign closes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Standard shortcuts cannot be substituted

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x64 - It appears that as-standard shortcuts cannot be substituted, even though they show as if they have been. Specifically the 'W' shortcut. I want to substitute Ctrl+Alt+W in a new custom list based on the default list. This avoids any possibility of entering W in text. Even though I substitute the new command and remove the standard command, the new command does not work but the old one still does. I previously was able to do this with my previous version software.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I emphasize enough how much I dislike the new styling on the text/paragraph style dialogues

It is SOO much harder to select the paragraph (or whatever) style I need now. The key information in that dialogue is the style name, which I know you know because that's what you show when it's selected. But that style name isn't the most visible part of the drop-down. In my case, it's darn hard to see. This is slowing me way down and I'm feeling very grumpy about it.
    I was also really irritated when the resize quick keys did a switcheroo here after 20+ years, but I can get over that. This one -though! Apologies for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This new menu you are seeing is only visible from the properties panel.
    You can still see the list of paragraph styles from the Paragraph Styles menu (Type→Paragraph styles) in the same way as it used to be in previous years.
    Please let us know if you still face the problem

Thanks,
    Aman

10. text bold italic regular

Cannot easily change text with bold italics and bold regular to non-bold italics and non-bold regular.

1. On Windows 7, InDesign 14.0.1 x64:
    2. In a normal text window, type "regular" in non-bold regular Times New Roman font.
    3. Then type "italics" in non-bold italic Times New Roman Font.
    4. Select the entire "regularitalics" phrase.
    5. Click Ctrl-B. The entire phrase correctly becomes bold.
    6. Click Ctrl-B again. Expected behavior: The entire phrase should revert back to regular. Actual behavior: Only "italics" reverts back to regular. The "regular" remains bold.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please let us know if using the short cut keys ctrl+shift+b/i helps to change the font style.

Thanks,
    Aman

11. Color printing in black and white

Files are printing in black & white when printing directly from InDesign. They print properly in color when I save a PDF and print from Acro

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bug Copy&past onto Indesign CC 2019

The copy-paste function from another software (Adobe acrobat, word, pages, etc.) to Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 does not work under mac os 10.12.6. This works very well on the Indesign cc 2018 version. I restart the application with CMD + ALT + CTRL + shift to restore the preferences, but the bug persists. Can you help me ?. Sorry for the quality of my English, I'm French. Thank you

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ALT key results in stall

Pressing the ALT key - be that for zooming out, using a fitting option, or any other shortcut, slows indesign to the point of non-performance, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. Happens primarily when I'm in a document with more pages/items. Have uninstalled all adobe programs and reinstalled, hasn't fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Paste in place behaves erratically for Word document import

I have a layout created from Placing a Word document with some vector graphics frames (originally pasted from Excel as a WMF) and text/table frames. These graphics need to be replaced with updated versions each month.

If I Place a new Word file into a temporary document then try to copy and paste new graphics one-by-one into the older version of the document, it looks like the graphics are updated if I stay on "medium quality" display setting. However if I change to "high quality", the graphics revert to previous versions.
    Export to PDF and Print will also produce the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. welcome screen won't load

Welcome screen won't load. It just seems to hang up and I never see my recent files. I can still use InDesign as usual, but this new bug is frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. url's not active when publish online feature used

indesign 14.0.1
    MacOS 10.14.4

I'm having a problem with the publish online feature. I have a 94 page directory that I published online back in January, which worked perfectly, all url's active and clickable. Today I have updated the print version of the job and created the new interactive version ready to publish online. However, when I 'Publish Online' from indesign and view the document, non of the url's appear to be active and clickable. I have tried creating a new document with just a single url for testing purposes and that doesn't work either. - the problem seems to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. scrubby zoom will not turn off

Scrubby/Animated zoom suddenly appeared when I opened Indesign today and I cannot not turn off. The option is no longer in the Preferences (I searched all categories). I have installed no updates recently.

version 14.0.1
    Mac OS 10.13.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Slow start opening files or switching between apps

The last Indesign version 14.0.1. on my iMacPro 3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W (Radeon Pro Vega 56) running Mojave (10.14.3) shows the rainbow wheel on every startup and on every time switching apps (via command + tab) takes about 30 seconds - impossible to work!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. pdf

Since the last update Indesign export to pdf in all resolutions don't compact the files down. They are huge. Everything up to the last update pdfs even if high resolution would size way down. Now it is almost like it doesn't do anything. Need this fixed. It is almost like the coders for Illustrator went over to Indesign to put in their bad pdf export routine. Illustrator has never compacted pdfs well ever!. I demand that the pdf export get fixed pronto and put back the way it was. Sending pdfs by email is now useless. I shouldn't have to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base