Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6472 results found

1. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. Stops letting me type

I'm using InDesign 2018 and I will have my cursor in a text box and be typing when the program will stop letting me enter new text. The only way to continue entering text is to tab out of the program and back in. I have no idea what step lead to this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

4. InDesign fails to launch

I cannot start InDesign on my Windows 10 notebook even though the rest of the Adobe apps work relatively well. On my main PC it runs without any problems. I tried re-installing the software, but it didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Table Eyedropper crash

Running High Sierra 10.13.2

InDesign version CC2018 13.1

Crashes when trying to select text within a table with the eyedropper tool, InDesign immediately crashes. This has been a problem for a couple of versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. graphics change when scrolling

1. Adobe InDesign 2018
    2. whenever I scroll through the spread the color fill in the graphics becomes distorted
    3. nothing should change
    4. all the fill colors in the text and graphics becomes distorted 5
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Cannot change printer or centering options on occasion

This happens in both the print module and the print booklet module.

I click on the printer's name in the standard InDesign print dialog box, go to select the new one, click on the new printer, and it acts like it selects that printer only to see that it reverts back to the printer that was previously selected. I try multiple times and it still does the same thing. I have to try different printer menus to get it to stick.

This issue also happens when I try to change the centering option for the document. There is clearly excess…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. installing new fonts and indesign crashes

I am very afraid to install any new fonts honestly. Illustration and photoshop work just fine but InDesign crashes constantly because of fonts; it just freezes. would appreciate it if it gets fixed in an update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Mouse lag when linking box and then drawing a new text box on a page

I have a box of text, i click the link button on the bottom right of the test box to make a new box, the mouse is them slow and laggy while it is loaded up with text i then draw a new text box, the mouse then returns to normal speed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Unable to apply multiple character styles after last update

I used to be able to select a piece of text, then open the Character Styles panel and select multiple character styles using the control key. I can successfully click. However, the styles selected are not retained. Only the first style I had selected is still applied. This is a huge bug affecting my impending book publishing.

I even cross confirmed it with two simple character styles - one [embolden] and one [italica] (aka bold and italic) expecting to be able to select both.

This DID work around October 2017 - we just did not notice that it had stopped…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ID 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 typographer quotes not functioning properly despite box being checked

The "typographer quotes" box is checked, but does not produce the correct result. InDesign 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 mid-2011 27" iMac w i7 processor. When going back to panel the box is still checked!

Also BIG slowdown in performance in this version - "spinning ball" for a loooong time!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut gone

Bring back the CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Document Fonts Package Between WINDOWS & MAC Not Recognized

Hello.

There is a problem when doings packages between Windows & Mac OS : since years when you do a package on an OS through another the fonts saved in the folder "Document Fonts" is not recognized by the OS...

So we can't open & modify the document when we received a package from Windows when we are on MAC OS or vice-versa.

So we need the client to supply the fonts one by one which is quite annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Updating table of contents causes a previously placed graphic to be placed in the table of contents

Updating the table of contents causes InDesign to place a previously placed Illustrator file into the table of contents area. It also adds a new link in the document for this duplicated graphic.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Precision 670 workstation with 32 Gb of ram and a few terrabytes of storage.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Repeatable InDesign Crash with Open Office Data in the Clipboard

I am running InDesign CC, the current version as of March 2018, however I have seen this same bug in older versions of the program. It is not unique to this version.

We use Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0. If there is ANYTHING in the clipboard copied from ANY part of Open Office, it will cause a repeatable InDesign crash. The clipboard data could be text from the OpenOffice Writer program or cell data from the OpenOffice Calc program...it doesn't matter.

With Open Office data in the clipboard, if I attempt to use any of the right-click menus, or choose an item…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest March ’18 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

18. book file don't work

Hi,

unfortunately it looks like the book file isn't work anymore with InDesign CC 2018.1 in Windows 10.

On my Mac it is working! I have attached two hardcopies (the one with correct page numbers is from Mac, the other from Windows 10 pro).

Obviously I tried to create a new book file and added files manually – same result.

As a result all cross-references between documents are wrong.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Publish Online thumbnail navigation has disappeared

The cursor changes on hover and link works but the graphics are missing for forward and back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Shared document on server crashing upon opening

I am working with colleagues on a file stored on a shared server. When they try to work on a document that I have worked on (documents that I have changed, not just created), InDesign crashes upon trying to open the file. If they then try to restart InDesign it continues to crash upon starting until they restart their computer. We have both tried updating InDesign and it is still occurring. Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base