Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ID 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 typographer quotes not functioning properly despite box being checked

The "typographer quotes" box is checked, but does not produce the correct result. InDesign 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 mid-2011 27" iMac w i7 processor. When going back to panel the box is still checked!

Also BIG slowdown in performance in this version - "spinning ball" for a loooong time!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut gone

Bring back the CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Document Fonts Package Between WINDOWS & MAC Not Recognized

Hello.

There is a problem when doings packages between Windows & Mac OS : since years when you do a package on an OS through another the fonts saved in the folder "Document Fonts" is not recognized by the OS...

So we can't open & modify the document when we received a package from Windows when we are on MAC OS or vice-versa.

So we need the client to supply the fonts one by one which is quite annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Updating table of contents causes a previously placed graphic to be placed in the table of contents

Updating the table of contents causes InDesign to place a previously placed Illustrator file into the table of contents area. It also adds a new link in the document for this duplicated graphic.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Precision 670 workstation with 32 Gb of ram and a few terrabytes of storage.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Repeatable InDesign Crash with Open Office Data in the Clipboard

I am running InDesign CC, the current version as of March 2018, however I have seen this same bug in older versions of the program. It is not unique to this version.

We use Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0. If there is ANYTHING in the clipboard copied from ANY part of Open Office, it will cause a repeatable InDesign crash. The clipboard data could be text from the OpenOffice Writer program or cell data from the OpenOffice Calc program...it doesn't matter.

With Open Office data in the clipboard, if I attempt to use any of the right-click menus, or choose an item…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest March ’18 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. book file don't work

Hi,

unfortunately it looks like the book file isn't work anymore with InDesign CC 2018.1 in Windows 10.

On my Mac it is working! I have attached two hardcopies (the one with correct page numbers is from Mac, the other from Windows 10 pro).

Obviously I tried to create a new book file and added files manually – same result.

As a result all cross-references between documents are wrong.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Publish Online thumbnail navigation has disappeared

The cursor changes on hover and link works but the graphics are missing for forward and back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Shared document on server crashing upon opening

I am working with colleagues on a file stored on a shared server. When they try to work on a document that I have worked on (documents that I have changed, not just created), InDesign crashes upon trying to open the file. If they then try to restart InDesign it continues to crash upon starting until they restart their computer. We have both tried updating InDesign and it is still occurring. Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. dictionary

Dictionary does not use USA English. Settings are for USA but dictionary finds error in spelling of "labor" only accepting "labour"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Gradient Feather -180° Shows Hard Edge

Gradient Feather Bug @ -180°

This bug has been in InDesign for many years.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. High Sierra 無法開啟 cs3 indesign

無法開啟cs3indesign

安裝了macOS 10.13 High Sierra後。開啟cs3 indesign時。呈現空白對話框。既無法繼續操作也無法結束 . 請問有無解絕的辦法

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. datamerge crashes after updating placeholder

The Crash happened after selecting the word between the data merge tags << WORD >> and then clicking on the placeholder name in the data merge panel. I had to do that to update a datamerge placeholder that lost its link to its source after converting the document back from cc18 to cc17.
    After relinking the data merge document, some of its tags still worked throughout the document and some didnt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign 2018 can't differentiate between two similiar font names

Our company works with two fonts called "CalloutTS" and "CalloutTS2". They are similiar, but not the same. For years everything worked fine. But since the CC 2018 update, InDesign can't differentiate between these two fonts anymore. You can now only select "CalloutTS". But depending on which computer your working on it randomly shows either the glyphs of "CalloutTS" or of "CalloutTS2". InDesign reads the font name of "CalloutTS2" now also as "CalloutTS" and can't decide which font to show. It seems like a simple digit isn't enough anymore to differentiate between two font names. This is a huge problem because…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. index

RE: Index / Table of Contents

When creating an Index, you are limited to populate ONLY one Index style format. MS Word, it is greatly inferior program, and yet you can create a General Index, a Index of Cases and Index of Figures. Indesign is the leading industry program for designers and writers, NOT MS word.

What happens if have lots of illustrations, data tables graphs and flowcharts all numbered accordingly. For example, an illustration (Figure 20 or Table 7), maybe on page 40, but there are 40 mentions throughout the document. Thus, in Indesign, you can not create a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign crashes while moving pages between 2 documents

when I use the "move pages" command the program stops responding and stops working. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using google translator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

18. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign CC 2018 UK dictionary is wrong

The UK dictionary in InDesign CC 2018 is wrong. It is recognizing both American and British spellings of certain words as correct. The biggest issues I've found so far are "iz" versus "is" spellings (e.g. capitalize/capitalise) and words that need an extra "e" (e.g. ageing). I have all text boxes in my document set to UK English, and spellcheck is finding certain misspellings (e.g. "or" versus "our"), but not others.

This is a major problem for those of us who regularly have to "translate" text from American English to UK English. Is there a way to import a better UK…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Error code: 6 - Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file <filename> is damaged

Working off remotely off a server (been doing it this way for years without issue). Today, I tried to open my InDesign file and it only partially loaded (with some linked images missing). Then I get the prompt "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "Ebook-3WaysToHoseYourAD-US-GM-32410.indd" is damaged (Error code:6).

What can I do to restore my file?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base