Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Non-breaking spaces & non-joiner odd behavior

The attached file has a bunch of samples. In summary, ID2018 on Mac considers a word and following spaces as one word; and a non-joiner is ignored. You'll need New Century Schoolbook LT Std to maintain proper spacing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Color Theme Tool not working after upgrade to InDesign CC 14.0

Hi, this may not actually be a bug and perhaps more of a settings issue - but after upgrading to 14.0 the Color Theme "eyedropper" tool does not seem to be working. The tool selects/highlights properly, palette displays correctly - but the theme elements do not copy over. Any help appreciated as we create / update fairly complex and text-heavy docs on a daily basis.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. layers panel disappearing

My layers panel keeps disappearing - I go to the "Window" menu and open it up, do what I need to do and next time I go to use the layers panel - which I haven't closed - it has closed again... I need to keep revisiting the "Windows" menu every time I want to use it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. booklet

Hi there, I have a problem too with my exported PDF out of PS when printing a booklet. No matter what settings I run the PDF will come out in portrait aspect ratio and not in landscape when I print as DEVICE INDEPENDENT. Mine is a booklet half Letter, classic 2 staples in the fold (5 pages front & back, 4cl.). I can print it 8.5''x11'' but not with bleed and crop marks. Any idea why, please? Thank you! (This problem was not in 2018 version).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. CC 2019 - Not all installed fonts show up in in search/font list

When I select a word, want to change the font and type a font that I have installed, it doesnt show up in the search. It does show up in the list though.

In the pictures, for example Alana and AnnabelleJF are in the List, but don't appear when searching for them. (Instead Andalus is showing, which didn't show in the list before...(???)

If i click on the Adobe Fonts Tab ("find more"/"mehr suchen") of course it shows those, but its a big hassle searching for a font and always having to switch between tabs. All installed fonts should be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Interactive PDF fields won’t allow me to enter any text into them when reported from Indd.

Mac OS 10.13.6 | Indesign CC 13.1 | Acrobat Pro DC 2018.011.20063

When I create a file in InDesign with text fields for an interactive PDF and export it as interactive PDF I get a PDF with blank fields and the fields won’t allow me to enter any text into them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. palettes stay closed/hidden when I open documents

Version of InDesign: 14.0

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Close documents so that all documents are closed. (All palettes close.)
    2. Open a document.

Expected Result: I expect the palettes I last had open to be there automatically.

Actual Result: The document opens, but the palettes stay closed/hidden.

Any Workarounds: Currently, my workaround is to hit Command-Shift-D to bring up the Links palette. When I do that, all the palettes appear. I could, of course, select any palette from the menu, but a keyboard shortcut is so much quicker than mousing around to a menu item. This behavior didn't happen in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Splitting large documents using Extendscript Toolkit script hangs InDesign v.14 for several minutes

Running script (extendscript) that takes a large document and splits it into individual documents based on their section hangs for several minutes before completing task in InDesign v14. Prevous version (v13) of InDesign did not have this hanging issue and complete task quickly. Attached is the script (and referenced script) used.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

11. PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Upon opening app 'Pages panel' does not launch

InDesign doesn't seem to record the preference of keeping open the 'pages panel'. On each app launch (despite on closing the last session with the pages panel open), the pages panel does not appear.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.
    • Is the issue related to a specific workspace(s)? If yes, can you please provide the workspace(s) available at following location:
    o Windows: “%APPDATA%\Adobe\InDesign\Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”
    o Macintosh: "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”

Adobe InDesign team

13. InDesign 13.1 book page numbering does not work

InDesign 2018 13.1 on Windows 10 64bit: book page numbering does not work anymore.
    book page options: continue on next odd page, insert blank page: check, automatically update page and section numbers: check.
    pagenumbers shown in the book-file begin all with 1,
    in every single file the automatic page numbering is activated

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Version 13.1

Version 13.1 crashes several times a day. For various reasons, ex. try to drag and drop pictures from finder into indesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. [CS6-CC2018][MAJOR BUG] Images upscaled in flattened PDF-files when placed over gradient

Hi,

With this post I would like to report a major bug in Indesign.

The problem occurs in these conditions:
    - A gradient background
    - On top of the background product images containing clipping masks / transparency. The images have insufficiënt resolution (105ppi).

When creating a flattened PDF-file (1.3) using the default PDF export feature, and valid high resolution export presets, all images which have a resolution higher then 75ppi, are upscaled in the final PDF-file. Images which are 105 ppi, are suddenly 300ppi in the final PDF-file. Images which an effection resolution of 75 ppi, remain 75 ppi.

After…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Unable to package some InDesign files, error message appears

Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1 release, 12.1.0.56 x64 build for Windows
    Open an .indd file, press File menu and select package menu item.
    Expected result: the file (catalog) is packaged.
    Actual result: the file (catalog) is NOT packaged. An error occurs about missing plugins: STEP-N-DESIGN.LOGIC.WIN.CC10.PLN EXTENSISFONTMANAGEMENTIDCC2014X64.APLN. (see attachment).
    Additional information: this problem occurs only by some files, not by all of them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. ADOBE INDESIGN AND ILLUSTRATOR COMPATABILITY ISSUE

In Adobe indesign, if we decreased Horizontal scale in Indesign and saving that template and generate PDF. If we open the same generated PDF in Adobe illustrator font size is decreasing and vertical scale is increasing and horizontal scale showing 100%. I think It's totally mis-matching with indesign and illustrator. Not only this we're facing many issues like this i.e resizing issue for example if label size is "50Wx100H" in indesign, same file showing in illustrator is 50Wx120H and some times more. Please help to fix this issue. It'll be helpful

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make editing text faster

When I want to, for example, remove all "m2" from "### m2" in table rows (20+ rows of table), I have to slow down my clicking, because InDesign doesn't register a selection change (double click to select), if I do it too fast. Woud be good if it was instantaneous like Word.
    My process: 1. Double click to select m2. 2. Press backspace or delete. 3. Double click to select next m2. And so on.

I know I could find-replace, but sometimes I don't want to set up a find and replace. And it just a little annoyance, which not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Indesign window appears on many desktops as identical

Indesign window appears on multiple desktops on MacOS 10.13.6 When changing desktop the window stays on top of everything

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base