Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6480 results found

1. Two-page paragraph border

I have a picture and the caption on two differentes pages. I want to draw a line between them. So I use paragraph border. In InDesign, it is OK (see image Dans InDesign.jpg) but in the PDF, the line stops at the edge of the page (see Dans Acrobat.jpg). Somebody says me to generage the PDF with board option. It's a good idea but the printer refuses to use this file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. em dash

InDesign treats two words separated by an em dash as a single word when applying styles. For example, if you create a paragraph style which includes a nested style to set the first three words of the paragraph in small caps, InDesign will set the first four words in small caps if the first three words include an em dash.

An em dash should be treated as punctuation, not a connector. Words separated by an em dash are are separate words and should be treated as such.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign so slow with certain files

I updated to Big Sur and CC21... now a lot of my indesign files don't work, super slow, lagging, any links display as pixelated... I can't use files that have taken me hours upon hours to create. I have been on phone calls and screen sharing with Adobe for over 4 hours and no solve. Have had 2 hours of screen share with Mac, no solve. Help!?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Spellcheck marking correctly spelled words as incorrect

Using the most current version of CC ID
    I always have dynamic spelling turned on, and my dictionary is set to English USA, however, some files appear to have flagged correctly spelled words as incorrect, while other files appear to be normal. Screenshot examples, 'Dark' and 'Inspiration'.

The issue seemed to come on randomly
    Saving as IDML does not fix the issue, nor does restarting the program

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. webp

add native support for .webp images

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign crashes and cannot be shut down until a hard reset is performed on Mac OS computers

My colleagues and I have been collaborating on an indesign document on a share drive. Whenever one of us has recently opened, made any changes, and then closed it - if the other person then opens it from their computer, it crashes InDesign and it cannot be "Force Closed" and also InDesign doesn't show up in the list of open applications within Mac OS Activity Monitor.

I'd post logs and screenshots, but (A) I don't know which logs or where to find them, and (B) our computers crashed hard after this, even preventing Electron and other apps from accessing the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign cannot open the file

InDesign cannot open the file when your system does not have enough memory (RAM) to read the file
    https://geometrydash-best.com

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign lags MacOS Catalina when using a screen profile other than sRGB

Reminder for Adobe not to forget this bug.
    As described here:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42272869-indesign-slow-in-macos-catalina-when-using-a-calib

and here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inddesign-2020-slow-performance-on-macos-catalina-10-15-1/m-p/11031304

Attached a screen capture of a very simple InDesign document showing the lag when changing the profile of the monitor to anything else than sRGB – even AdobeRGB doesn't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign lags MacOS Catalina when using a screen profile other than sRGB

Reminder for Adobe not to forget this bug.
    As described here:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42272869-indesign-slow-in-macos-catalina-when-using-a-calib

and here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inddesign-2020-slow-performance-on-macos-catalina-10-15-1/m-p/11031304

Attached a screen capture of a very simple InDesign document showing the lag when changing the profile of the monitor to anything else than sRGB – even AdobeRGB doesn't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Weird Bug with Resize to Frame

Resize frame to content messes up and I'm not sure if it's something to do with a setting I have set since this doesn't always happen.

Basically, I'll have a frame around some content with text in it.

When I hit "resize frame to content" ctrl-alt-c, it resizes the frame to the full document width, which looks like the example.

I obviously expect the frame to resize to the content, not to be super wide like the entire document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Unknown character inserted before hyphen in PDF export

InDesign v16.1

We have an InDesign file where the word "papier" is hyphenised by InDesign in this way "pa-pier", but after exporting in PDF, an unknown character was inserted before the hyphen and is shown as the letter "u" overlapping a displaced hyphen. Copy/pasting the word from the PDF gives this: pa�-pier

If the PDF is exported again, the problem is not reproduced.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Transparent PNG Export generates dark lines in the half transparent shadow regions

InDesign 16.2.1

Trying to export transparent PNG files from InDesign from a page with a transparent PSD source, results in PNG files with dark lines in the shadow region of the exported png.

When deselect or select the "simulate overprinting" checkbox before export, the lines may disappear and the exported png is as expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Paragraph Styles panel

In InDesign v 16.1 the Paragraph Styles panel is not showing any paragraph styles at all. I have tried creating new styles, saving them and they also don't show up. I have tried opening different files, where I know I have Paragraph Styles and it's still not working. Character Styles (most of which are nested in Paragraph Styles) on the other hand are displaying properly. I have tried resizing the panel, as suggested by another user, but no matter the size, nothing displays in the body of the panel.

If I open these same files in InDesign 15.1.3 the paragraph…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. [GPU Performance issue] ID 16.2.1 introduces GPU lag and stuttering on macOS

The InDesign 16.2.1 update for Mac introduces a general lag when panning, scrolling, or zooming in and out, using either the trackpad or the hand tool.

In the previous version of InDesign, when the Application Frame was active, each one of these actions was completely buttery smooth and GPU-accelerated.

Now, it's stuttery and choppy, and an overall unpleasant experience (although this was the default level of performance for many previous years of InDesign; however, now that we've seen much better, with software that actually makes use of our powerful hardware, we'd like not to regress).

The issue was found on…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Random lines CC ID 2021

Random Lines keep appearing. will go if layout is resized - SO ANNOYING. Tried unistall keeping prefs / unistall delete prefs - resave as different name

Mac 11.4 IND 16.2.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Window size and position is forgotten

Even though another entry entitled "InDesign in Windows ALWAYS forgets app size and position!" is marked as "Fixed/Solved" elsewhere in these pages, the issue is not fixed. In fact, it is more persistent in the latest 16.2.1 "update"... plus, ID crashes way more often now as well... I know this is another issue but for me when InDesign does not work as advertised, the whole thing –crashes, window size and position– is ONE issue: Adobe InDesign is buggy, more than ever, period.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Endnotes remain editable when parent story is locked

InDesign versions 14, 15, & 16

An endnote should be locked for editing if its parent story is checked out.

Currently, endnotes can be edited in InDesign even if the parent story is locked (if it's being edited in InCopy, for example). This can create a situation where content can be lost without any warning. When the link is updated in InDesign, InCopy's endnotes "win" and overwrite any changes that were made in InDesign (see attached 1_conflict.png).

Worse, an endnote can be removed while its parent story is checked out. The endnote marker is removed even though the parent story…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Endnotes user content can leak into the main story

InDesign/InCopy 2021 16.x

Editing a story with InCopy shouldn't cause user-entered extra endnote content to leak into the main story.

The first character of user content directly after the terminating endnote marker (so in the same paragraph as the terminating endnote marker) can leak into the main story when the story's link is updated.

The attached screenshot (leakedtext.png) shows Story A (Id1), which has some user content directly after each endnote, being exported to and viewed in InCopy (Ic), where an X, Y, and Z have found their way from the endnotes into the main story during the opening of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're happy to announce that the fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign - version 17.2 that is available from Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update to this latest version to get the fix.

--

Adobe InDesign team

20. packaged files not preserving paths

In latest release of Adobe InDesign 16.2.1 for Mac 10.14.6, an issue occurred when updating a file PACKAGED from an earlier version of InDesign.

Issue was:
    Document contained tifs and jpgs that contained work paths. In original document, work paths had been used to clip the images.
    However, when document was PACKAGED and then opened in ID16.2.1, the paths have not been preserved. They are still in the photoshop file and can be updated by replacing or relinking the image and showing image options to apply the path information, but this is potentially a catastrophic issue for providers like ourselves…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base