Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. paste

I'm running High Sierra (10.13.1) and InDesign CC 2018 (November release), and MS Office 2017 (Version 15.40). I have been trying to copy text from Word into text frames in InDesign, and for the past few days, every time I hit Command-V in InDesign, the program immediately freezes and stops responding. No matter how long I wait, the only way out is to force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Folder Aliases on Server greyed out

We have here big troubles with export, saving AND and placing in Indesign AND Illustrator.
    Since Update on CC18 and High Sierra, everytime we want to open/save/place a document, all aliases are greyed out. (connection to server)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. when I click on Indesign document, the program oben but nut the the documents

Have had to restart computer twice now to get latest update of InDesign to open and/or create any documents at work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Adobe InDesign/InCopy cannot be opened because of a problem

InCopy will not launch in macOS 10.11.5 and 10.12.6. This is happening on two different computers, one a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Retina and one a 2017 MacBook Pro with TouchBar. Have attempted uninstall/reinstalls as well as removing preference files.

I'm attaching the InCopy report from 10.12.6 computer but the 10.11.5 computer is currently off-site. I can add it later if I need to.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of the error message returned by InCopy when I try to launch the application.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Typekit - It conflicts with Fontexplorer

delete Typekit - It conflicts with Fontexplorer

Unchecking Typekit sync does not work.

Please add an option to delete Typekit completley

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. QuickApply crashes if an image is placed in a table

Version: InD CC 2017 (and previous)

Steps:
    1. Create a table
    2. Place image in a cell (linked or embedded)
    3. Command-Enter (attempt to open quickApply)

Expected result:
    No crash

Actual result:
    crash

File attached

If images are placed in a table cell, InD crashes when using QuickApply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Duden-Hyphenation changes the language in preferences

After setting Duden hyphenation in Preferences, the next time the menu is opened, it will change to "1996 Alte Rechtschreibung" instead of "2006 Neue Rechtschreibung". (only on WIN-machines?!?)
    Regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. STACK ORDER BUG: Deleting page 1 and 2 causes object to change stack order on subsequent pages

Problem
    1. Discovery of text box missing from page 39 in printed Catalogue.

Review
    1. Immediately review INDD document to attempt to recreate error and report to client preliminary findings.
    a. The bug effects the stack ordering of objects on subsequent pages. In the Food & Beverage case, this missing text box from page 39 was in fact simply “underneath” the background yellow box.
    b. Error occurs when splitting out the cover pages to a separate document (to allow for a spine), whereby Page 1 and 2 and last 2 pages of document are deleted. Software bug appears to only…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Links on TOC doesn't work

Interactive links on the TOC does't work when I publish online or export to ePub. Even with “Create PDF Bookmarks” checked. The link itself is created, but it has no effect.

I'm using a Mac with InDesign CC 2018. (Until CC 2017 it was working fine).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Page_spread_01_112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page_spread_02_112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Page_spread_03_112617 - If I move page 2 down in the Pages panel, and realign it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Label error Table 1 x 1 cell

Version
    InDesign CC for Teams 2018 (13.0.1) ExtendScript (Javascript)

Steps

### scenario 1

- create table (1 cell, 1 row)
    - select cell with [ESC]-key
    - change label via Javascript

app.selection[0].cells[0].label = "abc";
    $.writeln(app.selection[0].cells[0].label);

- actual result in ESTK --> "abc"
    - actual result in Indesign -> Scriptlabel--> empty window (expected result: "abc" expected)

### scenario 2

- create Table (1 cell, 1 row)
    - select cell with [ESC]-key
    - change label manually via Indesign -> Scriptlabel-Window to "abc"

app.selection[0].cells[0].label = "";
    $.writeln(app.selection[0].cells[0].label);

- actual result in ESTK --> ""
    - actual result in Indesign -> Scriptlabel--> "abc" (expected result:…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Crop to settings not changing from Bounding Box

While placing an image, after choosing Show Import Options, I try to select something other than Bounding Box in the Crop to settings and it won't let me change how it is inserted. I have tried this with both PDFs and AI files, and it is a problem for my coworkers as well who are using 2018. After restarting InDesign, I didn't have the problem anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

19. save as dialogue

Summary: Save button disabled when dragging a folder from finder into the Save dialogue for file that has not been previously saved (new files or converted documents.)

1. InDesign Version 13.0.1 - macOS
    2. To reproduce error: Create a new file (this is required), choose Save As, drag a folder from the finder into the Save As dialogue, press "Save"
    3. Expected result: Save action to take place
    4. Actual result: Save button has no effect (browsing to a new folder will re-enable the Save button)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Random De-selection

I've found this to be an issue ever since I first started using indesign 3 years ago. Sometimes when shift selecting objects, other random objects that you have already selected will unselect themselves. For example, I am selecting 4 random objects on my spread, I select 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, and object 2 unselects itself when I selected object 4

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base