Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. large footnote

When I touch up the large footnotes, The indesign file got corrupted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign issue occurred?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Bring back title bar icons from CC 2018

Those were so handy, why have they been removed? There is plenty of space on the title bar.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deselecting "Use Typographer's Quotes" for Excel import doesn't work... unless the paragraph style is set to Language: [No Language]

TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM:
    1. Import an Excel document that includes straight quotation marks.
    2. In the Import Settings dialogue, uncheck "Use Typographers Quotes."
    RESULT:
    The quotation marks will be converted from straight to curly.

WORKAROUND:
    1. Define a paragraph style with "Language" set to "[No Language]."
    2. Create a cell style using that paragraph style.
    3. Create a table style using that cell style.
    4. When importing the Excel content, select that table style (as well as unchecking "Use Typographer's Quotes").
    RESULT:
    The straight quotation marks will not be converted.

NOTES:
    • Changing the paragraph Language to [No Language]…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Balance Columns Not Working for Tables

Balance Columns does not work for Tables.

Steps to duplicate:
    1. Create a large Text Frame with two columns.
    2. Enable Balance Columns on that Text Frame.
    3. Create a Table in the Text Frame with a number of rows, say 10 rows.
    4. Add a paragraph break, or return.
    5. Create a line of Text under that Table that spans columns.
    The Table ignores the Balance Columns Setting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign freeze?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. [ Versions 14 and 15 ] Adjust Layout | Liquid Page Rule "Scale" is affecting the result

Hi together,
    as it seems feature Adjust Layout is actually affected by Liquid Page Rule.

Two identical pages will scale type differently if Liquid Page Rule is set to "Based on Master" on one page and "Scale" on the other page.

This seems to be a bug. Liquid Page Rule should not affect the result of Adjust Layout. Applied my test documents from my German InDesign 2020 15.0.2.310 on Windows 10:
    200206-1-Wrong-Text-Size-with-LayoutAdjustment-INDD-2020.zip

NOTE: I renamed the zip file to .zip.txt because this site will NOT allow to attach zip files.

Also see into this thread at Adobe InDesign Forum where…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 15.0.1 doesn't find fonts in document fonts folder

If I open a document that has a Document fonts folder [in the same folder as the document itself], InDesign 15.0.1 consistently fails to find those fonts or let me select them. So the document opens showing all those fonts as missing and there's no way to fix the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Open Asset Plugin window keeps opening up even though I keep shutting it. It continuously interrupts my flow.

The Open Asset plugin for Indesign continuously pops up. I don't use it. I don't want to use it. I want it to stop popping up and interrupting my workflow. If I close the window, it should stay CLOSED.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. There is no way to cancel "Find similar images"

InDesign 15.0

Run "Find similar images" and the candidate images will be displayed in the CC Libraries Panel. If there is no image you want at that time, I want to cancel this. I want to delete candidate images in the CC Libraries Panel and return to My Library. However, there seems to be no other way than adding one of the images to the library or restarting InDesign.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Change font without changing style

Assume that I have selected some text which contains instances of bold, italic, or other "styles" (not INDD "styles," but variations of a typeface within a specific font family).

In previous versions of InDesign, I used to be able to change the typeface of the selected text, and maintain all instances of bold, italic, etc. In newer versions of InDesign, this is only possible when I navigate to the new font family by scrolling through the menu; when I search for a font family, I am presented with only the specific members of the family, not the family itself. This…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    The issue has been fixed in our latest beta build.
    Please log-on to our prerelease program to try out the fix.
    Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com and log in with your adobe id. Join the program, InDesign Prerelease.
    Latest build along with the release notes can be found in the downloads section of the portal.
    Please use the build number 15.0.2.318.

Let us know if the fix works for you in the comments.

13. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Can not create PDF, links apparently broken?

Hi guys,

Indesign links panel appears fine but when I goto export to pdf it comes up with "This document contains links to files that are not accessible..." they are linked to my local hard rive? Extremely frustrating, there must be a simple remedy?

Thanks,
    Mark

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Resize Pages Tool does not work

The resize pages tool does not work. The page size always jumps back to its initial size. You always have to enter the size manually. Also the resizing from an anchor point of the page does not work properly. Especially elements outside the artboard (for example in the info section) don't place accordingly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Table Headers Disappear after copy/paste

Yes, I know this is an old topic that has supposedly been fixed... but...not fixed after yesterday's update, 15.0.1 x64.

I can add a space in the header to force it into overset and the header comes back, just have to live with dozens of overset errors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Falha ao exportar arquivo PDF

Quando estou finalizando meu projeto de revista, exporto para pdf em baixa resolução para revisão. Tanto a versão de baixa resolução quando de alta resolução não estão sendo exportados para PDF. Gostaria de saber o que devo fazer para conseguir exportar.
    Google translator:
    When I am finalizing my magazine project, I export to low resolution pdf for review. Both the low resolution and high resolution versions are not being exported to PDF. I would like to know what I must do to be able to export.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign 2020 v15.01 makes corrupt documents when using Alternate Layout

The "Create Alternate Layout" in indesign 2020 v15.01 is toxic.

After using it, chances are high that documents will at some later stage become corrupt. It may manifest itself by crashing on copy/paste or just a spinning beachball of death (Mac).

I have seen this on at least 20 different documents since upgrading from version 2019 to version 2020 (15.0.1). We never used version 15.0.

This is my guess on what happens:
    Using "Create Alternate Layout" it will make some of the Paragraph Styles corrupt. Version 2020 seems to crash (beachball) whenever one of these are accessed. This might very…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?

Sanyam Talwar

19. Printing error: The Adobe print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem?

I cannot print or output PDF file. When printing I get this error........ Printing error: The Adobe print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base