Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can't Place Images with Applescript on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

InDesign 15.0.1

The Place command now fails in Applescript, following an upgrade to Catalina.
    The "Image Catalog" sample script also fails to place the images in the same manner. Image placement fails with an error 1708, <<the file string>> doesn't understand the "place" message.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Data Merge not populating correctly when placeholder curse overflow

When using Data-Merge with an .txt/.csv and using export as pdf, indesign (still) merge the fields wrong (only use the first data-entry), if the placeholder and not the data curse an frame-overflow.

Detailed description:
    You have a textframe with enough space to place the string "888", but not enough space to place "8888".
    You have a .csv table with a colum named "number" and values from "1" to "999".
    You select the file with data-merge and get a placeholder "<<number>>" and replace the "888" with it. Now you got a frame overflow.
    You select preview, and all values (1 -…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for your patience all this while. We investigated on this issue and below are our findings. The problem with this bug is related to ages old standards difference between different operating systems.
    On Mac (OS X and later) there is only one way to identify line end i.e by using a single character LF, while on Windows (and DOS before it) uses a pair of CR and LF characters to terminate lines.
    Hence when writing them down to any text file these characters are written as such.
    Windows, can therefore dedicate LF to understand soft return separately while Mac cannot do any
    such thing. Because of this when we read it back from the text file the LF character is interpreted as line break (or new para) on Mac and soft return on Windows.

These files require conversion when moved from one OS to another

Consider this…

7. If there is white text on a colored background InDesign thinks there's nothing at all

If there's only white text on a page but this text has a colored "paragraph shading" ("Absatzschattierung" in German), InDesign does not recognize this color and thinks the page is still empty.

I reported this in the old "wish form" about four years ago: https://rainerklute.de/bug-report/

The dialogue shows a way to solve this but why is it not implemented?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Data Merge function "Honor existing frame fitting option" is not working on master pages

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues
    See also attached video

Open the file > 01ExposeTEMPXMLStart.indd
    Generate a merged document by clicking the button
    Choose "Honor existing frame fitting" in Content Placement Options
    Click [OK]
    Jump to page 1 in the merged document
    The pictures are placed without honoring the existing frame fitting options from the object style
    This only happens with frames that are placed on a master page. The same frame on a document page works…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. [15.0.2.323] Big problem with unrecognized user dictionaries

macOS 10.14.6 - multiple computers with us and with customers

We noticed today that extensive user dictionaries are recognized as such by the existing documents, but InDesign (current version) completely ignores them and thus incorrectly hyphens them.

In a special case, a very extensive user dictionary is linked as a symlink (alias) from the Dropbox into the corresponding Linguistics folder in Application Support / Adobe. So far, this worked wonderfully with all versions and has the advantage that adjustments are automatically distributed correctly via the Dropbox.

I tried the following:
    the symlink resolved and the extensive dictionary (a lot of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Crashes on opening document created in indd 2019

Crashed as soon as I opened a document from 2019. After several tries, I was able to open the same document successfully, but it didn't recognize fonts in the Document fonts folder. It didn't matter whether it was opened from within InDesign or from the Finder. The successful attempt was from the Finder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. InDesign 2020: crashing, undo doesn't work, missing fonts, text wrap is broken, so many bugs

The Undo bug is back. I tried to undo some text (in a table) and it reverted the document back to the previous save and then crashed.

On re-opening, ID complains that it can't find my installed fonts that I used in the document. They show up in the document, it just complains that they are not there. These are fonts that I bought and installed, so I know they are available.

I have also been having problems with text wrap not working half the time. I set a box (I've tried both image and text boxes) to text wrap…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. workspace problems in Indd 2020

I am working on two major projects and have created my custom workspace that gives me the panels needed for these projects. After saving the changes made for the day and closing InDesign, upon opening Indd for the next session, the work space has been set to Essentials, even though the files that require my s=custom workspace are open. I go to the workspace menu and change the work space to my working workspace and it does change, but the menu still says Essentials.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. InDesign hyperlink %0D bug

When I cut and paste URLs from a text document into the hyperlink dialog box, I can accidentally get a carriage return included. InDesign "includes" the carriage return in the one-line dialog box field but gives no indication that it's there.

Once I export the InDesign document to a PDF and then click on the link in the PDF, the link shows with a %0D at the end and it fails with a 404 not found.

This is extremely annoying because InDesign gives no indication that the carriage return is there with its one-line link dialog box field.

What should…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina, indd/idml legacy layouts within packaged folders, images disappear

InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina. When opening legacy versions of indd or idml documents within packaged folders, images flash/display briefly, then most if not all, disappear. The only solution seems t be to re-link each graphic individually.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. PDF Comment Loading in the Master Page

We have recently updated to 2020 version. In the previous version when I load PDF comments in InDesign they appear in the pages where they are suppose to appear. Now, in the 2020 version, they appear in the Master Page. Why is it like this?

Also may I suggest when copying text in the PDF Comments panel that the "Command+C" be activated as this is more instinctively than clicking the "Copy" button from the panel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

18. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Glyphs automatically replaced with indesign 15.0.1 update

After updating to version 15.0.1 indesign replaced automatically one of the glyphs of the Source Sans Pro font.
    If the same file is openend with a previous version of indesign, glyph returns to its original appearance.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign VERY SLOW almost UNUSABLE

InDesign is slow to almost unworkable. Mac OS Mojave, vs 10.14.6, InDesign 14.0.3. Copy an image, import an image, save the file, etc. Turned off preflight,
    Everything is extremely slow. Disable Suitcase and that did nothing to improve InDesign's performance. Have no other 3rd party plugins. I reinstalled 14.0.3 didn't help. Uninstalled 14.0.3 and installed 14.0.2 didn't help. So slow! Barely workable and can't finish my work on time.
    I'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) ,3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base