Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Style names truncated unnecessarily

The UI for the styles palette truncates the names of the styles to an unusable length if a keyboard shortcut is assigned (even when no truncating is needed).

In the attached image, we see that there's a lot of space to the right.

The keyboard shortcuts could also be shortened using the relevant symbols instead of words. eg

"⌥⇧⊞1"

instead of

"Opt+Shift+Num 1"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Renaming CC Library Elements

Renaming elements that have been stored in the Creative Cloud Libraries panel is unstable and can use improvements.
    • There is no clear cursor to know where you are in the name.
    • Double clicking to highlight a word, once in the rename mode, common practice everywhere else, ends up opening the library item, not selecting the word you intended.
    • Doing a slow double click on the name, like you can do in the Layers panel to rename a layer doesn't work either.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop showing the "Setup Libraries Your Way" EVERY TIME I open creative cloud library

This thing is beyond annoying. Yes it was helpful the first time I saw it. But once I clicked it off once, I never needed to see it again. But this little f***er shows up every time I open the CC libraries after a restart. GIVE ME A DON"T SHOW AGAIN..... Please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign EXTREMELY slow when working on files off a server

The latest version of InDesign has been virtually unusable on my Mac Pro when working off files on a sever. Every click takes 3-5 seconds to process and the beachball is constantly processing.

The Adobe help chat suggested I work locally instead, however working off the server has never been a problem with the previous versions. Working locally or off a hard drive/USB has speed it up.

Can you please advise why this issue has appeared with the latest version?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

11. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

12. Unable to package files - program freezes creating IDML

Unable to package documents since 14.0.2 x64 update. Freezes on create IDML. When you try to cancel app hangs. Have to crash service to get the app to close.

Windows 10 - 1809 17763.437

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PDF comments panel does not stick in workspace

We have discovered that the PDF Comments panel disappears when a document is closed.

But we have also found that any panels that are grouped with the PDF Comments panel in a saved workspace disappear when the document is closed.

Refreshing the workspace brings them all back.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

14. Crash when working with book TOC

I have a book with 10 chapters. I created a TOC earlier and left it for a few months while working on the chapters. When I try to update the TOC, the program crashes. I've tried the create new TOC files. Same result.
    Same issue on both desktop and laptop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. idml shifts images in bounding boxes

PLEASE FIX THIS.

We send both indd and idml file formats to asian print suppliers. depending on the adobe version the supplier is using we are finding images can shift within bounding boxes - cutting them off at the crop. Or text frames reduce – cutting off copy. This is an incredibly expensive discovery if it not caught in pre-press.

My team is sending hundreds of files a year to Asian printer suppliers. this bug occurs in about 1 out of a hundred files.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Copying animations loses timing panel settings

When copying/duplicating animations (using ANY method), the timing panel settings are completely lost. This is really bad for complicated animations. The timing panel settings should be maintained when animations are copied/pasted or duplicated in any way.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Endnotes are out of sequence in captions and sidebars

I work on books that often have endnotes in captions or sidebars. The captions/sidebars are always set up as separate frames (and sometimes as anchored objects). Any endnotes in separate frames end up at the end of the endnote list, regardless of where they fall in the page order.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

20. Transparency Effect bug

Transparency Effect bug - Effects all objects on spread instead of only selected object.

I select a regular rectangle shape object with a solid fill (yellow) and change it's transparency under the effects menu to 75%. I have another regular rectangle object with a solid fill (turquoise) that's transparency is 100%. However, once I change the yellow rectangles transparency to 75%, the turquoise rectangle appears as if I've also changed it's transparency to 75% - not the desired result. When I change the yellow rectangle object back to 100% transparency, the turquoise rectangle object appears at it's original 100% transparency…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base