Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Indesign 2019 CC crash after relink document

Every time when I try to relink a document in Indesign 2019 CC, the program crashes. I already send several crash reports to Adobe, no respond.

Adobe could you please fix this bug asap? It is very annoying and I can not do my work properly this way.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
        (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
        • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

• full swatch list not displaying bug

In the first image, the scroll bar is all the way to the bottom, but it's not showing the rest of the list, when I expand the box (image 2) it displays them... please help/fix?

IndesignCC 13.1 osx high sierra.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
          2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
          3. Does it happen with Swatches panel only or all other panels while expanding ?
          4. Have you added any extra swatches or it happens with the default swatches ?
          5. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

• Embedded Publish Online doc fails in Firefox

Embedded Publish Online pages do not behave properly (i.e., go to full screen mode) in the latest release of Firefox 62.0.3 on Mac.

Please go to these two websites and click on the embedded document. It will attempt to go to full screen, but the cover only is jammed in the upper left corner of the screen. You can't navigate or do anything to fix that I've found. This is a serious problem, as many people have embedded Publish Online pages in their websites.

http://www.andreanienhaus.de/
          http://www.atlasdergisi.com/dijital/yaban-karacadag.html

Could someone else check this with Firefox and let me know the result?

And…

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • InDesign CC 2019 workspace loading incorrectly

when I open the program -workspace loading incorrectly
            when I open a new document - workspace falls
            when I close the document - workspace falls

InDesign CC (14.0.1.209)
            Windows 10, 64-bit
            2 monitors

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Indesign CC2019 (oct) - "Do you want to save changes to "-/*TempScratchDocument*/-" on close

Indesign 14.0.1 x64, german, Windows8 as "Admin"

On closing Indesign with its "×" button, a dialog popped up asking:

Do i wanna save changes to "-/*TempScratchDocument*/-", Yes | No | Cancel.

This is the first time i have this error. I can not recreate it. Prior to the error i did: made some changes to an open documents spellchecking and hyphenisation settings. I also edited a paragraph format in the doc to use Duden instead of Proximity as Spellchecking/Hyphenisation. I let it re-calculate the flow of the document and saved the document. I closed the doc ument and made changes…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
                  (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

• A5 paper size wrong

The paper size for A5 in the presets is technically wrong as it should be 148.5mm wide and not 148mm. You can't change the built-in presets but it would be really helpful to do so as our onward print workflow relies on 148.5mm wide files and it's really annoying to have to change it after it's all been designed if you forget to change the page size at the beginning.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Moving curser in text box with control key + arrows is not possible anymore

Before the update, you could move the curser by pressing the control key and the arrow keys. The Curser would jump one word by another in the appropriate direction. Now, that is not possible anymore. (InDesign 14.00.01)

Windows 7 Professional

Also the key for the right mouse klick (kontext menue) is not working anymore.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • InDesign CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
                        1. Open InDesign
                        2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
                        3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
                        iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
                        3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
                        64 GB RAM
                        Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can't move multiple objects after 14.0.1 of Indesign. And it's sloooowww!

Trying to move multiple objects, mostly boxes of type. One or several items does not move although selected. Upon undo and trying to move again, other objects doesn't move. And it has gotten so slow but that might be after Mojave 10.14.3 and not Adobe :)

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Anchored Textframes with Auto adjusting height within a Textfreame

1. CC 2018 – 13.1 (Can't update to CC 2019 right now because of Plugins)
                              - Create a big "master" Text frame
                              - Create 2 more text frames that auto adjust in height and fill them with lorem ipsum or any text.
                              - Paste those two text frames into the first created "master" Text frame
                              - Change the Text in the first Text frame (Add some empty lines or remove text) and see InDesign fail to update.
                              3. Expected result: Should be pretty obvious... InDesign should not fail to update the current view.
                              4. Actual Result: All Textframes are misaligned…

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
                                New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

• AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
                                  Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
                                  Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
                                  I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
                                    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• pdf export fail

When exporting some InDesign files to PDF, the export fails without any specific reason given. The PDF export settings are "Press Quality" and does not fail when selecting a lower quality export setting. I was able to export fully when changing the downsampling image settings to "do not downsample" and I was able to export without fail. However, this produces a massive file, and obviously is not what I want and will not work. I need the "Press Quality" settings.

This issue appears on Windows 10 (latest release as of this writing) and I have not had any problems using…

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Table of contents problem

Hi.
                                      i am concerned about table of contents generation under indesign cc 2019 (14.0.1).
                                      When the titles to be placed in the table of contents are in a text box, everything happens normally. On the other hand, when the titles are in a table, the generation of the table of contents does not happen properly. See attached example.
                                      Thank you in advance for your answers.
                                      Christophe.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
                                        The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
                                          Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
                                          Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
                                          Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
                                          Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base