Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

31 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Edit: We reached to the users who have commented the issue still persists to identify the gap. It was discovered that their issue is different from what is being discussed on this thread. The issue pertaining to this thread is fixed. Hence, we are closing the thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Based on our investigation we have categorised the issue that are being reported on this thread into three types:

1. Users having compatible GPU and monitor configuration but still not able to use GPU rendering.

2. Users having Incompatible GPU and monitor configuration. Please refer following link that have all the details system requirement for GPU rendering.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

3. MacPro, Mac mini OR “working on MacBooks with screen down” and using Hidpi monitors with display scale factor one.
    This has been identified as bug and we have fixed it in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    Please update your InDesign to the latest version to try out the fix

Note:
    Since , this thread is mainly being tracked only for enable-ment of GPU functionality
    Please report drawing related issue via other reported threads or new threads.

4. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified

We're facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) If text frames are overlapped and grouped, PDF comments are not embedding correctly, also updating in wrong places (please refer the attachment 1_Error1.png)
    (2) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the grouped frames (please refer the attachment 2_Error2.png)
    (3) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the sub-frames (please refer the attachment 3_Error3.png)
    (4) PDF comments are not embedding correctly inside table cells (please refer the attachment 4_Error4.png)
    (5) PDF comments are not embedding correctly when the fonts are missing (please refer the attachment 4_Error5.png)

Please…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

5. Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
    Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
    I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
    Mac: 10.14

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have concluded our investigation into the issue and found that the issue is specific to few versions of MacOS 10.14.×.
    As a part of our investigation we had reached out to many of you, where many of you have confirmed that the issue gets resolved after upgrading to MacOS 10.14.5.

Note:
    If you are NOT using MacOS 10.14.5 and still facing this issue, please upgrade your MacOs to 10.14.5 version.
    In case you continue to face the same issue after the upgrade, you may reach out to us at sharewithid@adobe.com.

For any other problem related to packaging workflows please create a new thread.

We are closing this thread for now.

Thank you for your patience all this while.

-InDesign Team

6. Export Interative PDF - Create Tagged PDF checkbox Bug

All my paragraph styles are set to corresponding tags (eg., H1, H2, etc.) for export options. When I export to tagged pdf, the tag names generated in PDF were paragraph style names not "Export Tagging" names.

Please look it into this and do the needful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.
    2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

9. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Inline vector graphics pixelate while typing in high quality display performance mode

InDesign 14.0.2 on Windows 10

1) Set display performance to high quality
    2) Paste an EPS or PDF into a text frame as an inline graphic. It should render crisply as you'd expect in high quality mode..
    3) Start typing in the text frame that contains the inline graphic. The inline graphic pixelates.
    4) Click out of the text frame or stop typing for ~10 seconds. The graphic returns to its unpixelated, high-quality state.

Context: we are upgrading 100 users from InDesign 2014 to InDesign 2019. This worked perfectly well without any pixelation or lag in InDesign 2014, but is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ICML export doesn't preserve the paragraph styles of endnotes.

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2
    2. Export a story containing endnotes as ICML
    3. Endnotes should be styled properly
    4. Endnotes lose the applied paragraph style
    5. UserVoice will not allow me to attach an IDML or INDD file. I can email it if needed.

What this means is that anyone using InCopy will lose the paragraph styling of their endnotes.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

InDesign has been broken for years now. What is going on?

The bug below is more than a bug:
    "I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML ."

It should not be "closed" it should be "open".

it happened again this morning.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign VERY SLOW almost UNUSABLE

InDesign is slow to almost unworkable. Mac OS Mojave, vs 10.14.6, InDesign 14.0.3. Copy an image, import an image, save the file, etc. Turned off preflight,
    Everything is extremely slow. Disable Suitcase and that did nothing to improve InDesign's performance. Have no other 3rd party plugins. I reinstalled 14.0.3 didn't help. Uninstalled 14.0.3 and installed 14.0.2 didn't help. So slow! Barely workable and can't finish my work on time.
    I'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) ,3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Numbering Styles ignores some of Character Styles (Underline & Strikethrough)

### Adobe InDesign version:

InDesign 14.0.2 x64

### Steps to reproduce the issues:

1. Create Character Style with Underline Options (or Strikethrough Options)
    2. Set this Character Style as Numbering Style for Paragraph

### Expected result:

All styles from my Character Style are respected and used in Numbering Style. Underline Options (or Strikethrough Options) set in Character Style are used in Paragraph Numbering, so I can see underlined number, or I can create fake background color for number with underline offset etc

### Actual result

SOME styles from my Character Style are ignored in Numbering style. Underline Options (or Strikethrough…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

18. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. sample buttons and forms

The 'Sample buttons and forms' window automatically pops up when I start InDesign. Indesign starts with the workspace 'Start'. I resetted my workspace and the window still was there. Then I removed the window, saved my workspace again and it seems to be solved.
    I am not the only one with this problem:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/indesign/comments/d1s9yf/sample_buttons_forms_window_automatically_pops_up/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base