Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

2. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PDF Comment Loading in the Master Page

We have recently updated to 2020 version. In the previous version when I load PDF comments in InDesign they appear in the pages where they are suppose to appear. Now, in the 2020 version, they appear in the Master Page. Why is it like this?

Also may I suggest when copying text in the PDF Comments panel that the "Command+C" be activated as this is more instinctively than clicking the "Copy" button from the panel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Paragraph style bullets and numbering Arabic incorrect display Indesign 2020

Latest Indesign 2020
    When specifying an Arabic string for Number in paragraph style Bullets and Numbering, the string does not display correctly. Every letter is connected to the letter to the right rather than the letter to the left.

The wrong behavior is not present in Indesign 2019.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Media panel crash

I’m using Indesign 2020 and every time I go to window<interactive<media and the panel opens the second I click it it becomes huge and then Indesign freezes

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Data Merge function "Honor existing frame fitting option" is not working on master pages

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues
    See also attached video

Open the file > 01ExposeTEMPXMLStart.indd
    Generate a merged document by clicking the button
    Choose "Honor existing frame fitting" in Content Placement Options
    Click [OK]
    Jump to page 1 in the merged document
    The pictures are placed without honoring the existing frame fitting options from the object style
    This only happens with frames that are placed on a master page. The same frame on a document page works…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Proportional Scaling, Duplicating, Moving objects aligned doesn't work anymore!

I updated to Indesign 2020 … now: Proportional Scaling Using Shift+Mouse does not work. Duplicating using Alt+Shift+Mouse does not work. Moving objects in same Line using Shift+Mouse does not work.

These are critical features – why won't they work anymore?
    Even in Indesign 2019 they don't work anymore since the update …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. InDesign and Acrobat conflict

I just installed InDesign 2020 15.0. When I try to export a file to PDF I get an error message saying that file is already open, which it is not. Closing Adobe Acrobat and reopening doesn't solve issue, only restarting InDesign does. Hugely inconvenient. I have not been prompted to upgrade Acrobat and I never had that problem with earlier InDesign versions.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. workspace problems in Indd 2020

I am working on two major projects and have created my custom workspace that gives me the panels needed for these projects. After saving the changes made for the day and closing InDesign, upon opening Indd for the next session, the work space has been set to Essentials, even though the files that require my s=custom workspace are open. I go to the workspace menu and change the work space to my working workspace and it does change, but the menu still says Essentials.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Text margins don't change when master pages are applied

Version: InDesign CC2019
    Steps to reproduce: Apply a new Master page, with different margins, to a document page with text frame
    Expected result: Text frame should resize to fit the new margins of the master page (as before with Layout Adjustment enabled)
    Actual result: Page margins change but text frame stays the same. Useless! I have to manually adjust the text block to fit the new margins.

I work in book publishing. When laying out a book, it's often necessary to make changes to the margins of certain pages, either to accommodate the dropped opening of a chapter, or to…

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

18. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

19. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base