Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height" causes InDesign 2020 to freeze

Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height", text aligned to baseline and anchored object settings "anchored position: custom", "anchorPoint: bottom left/center/right" causes InDesign 2020 (15.0.1) to freeze (on Mac and PC).

1. create an new document (size doesn't matter)

2. create an new textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

3. create a second textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

4. insert some text in second generated textframe

5. select the text and apply the option "align to baseline".

6. anchor second textframe into the first created textframe

7. set anchored object settings of the anchored textframe to: "anchored position: custom" and "anchorPoint: bottom left or bottom center or bottom right"

8. select the anchored…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Arabic exported to EPUB (Fixed Layout) doesn't show properly

• InDesign 15.1.2 / Mac OS 10.15.6

• Create an InDesign document with Arabic content. Apply any Arabic font.

• When exporting to EPUB (Fixed Layout) we should see the Arabic text appear in the epub viewer in similar manner as it shows in InDesign document.

• The exported epub document is viewed in Apple's Books application, and Adobes Digital Editions 4.5 with similar problems in both epub viewers, where all Arabic text is either invisible or messed up and shifted from its location.

• Attached images from InDesign document, and epub file which was exported from InDesign.

• Links from…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. cursor disappeared

MacOs 10.14.6 - Retina display
    Indesign 15.1.2

By clicking in any field (font size, line spacing, mask for inserting texts in the index etc.) the cursor is no longer displayed after updating Indesign to version 15.1.2

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Background Tasks Panel - Missing Progress Bars

Since InDesign 15.1, the progress bars are missing from the Background Tasks panel. Luckily, the percentages are still there but the bars are needed for quick progress reference.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign performance issues: text tool

InDesign performance issues (version 15.1.1 x64 - 32GB RAM installed - Win 10 - Adobe Creative Cloud).
    From the previous version the Text tool slows down the program considerably; it is not possible to work with at least two open files (I work with multiple open files, never a problem).
    So the work is very slow !!! Please provide a solution. Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Underline with variable font

When the underline of a variable font is activated, the underline takes the whole height of the page. (Indesign 15.1.2)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Endnotes with links incorrect when exporting to an accessible PDF file.

When exporting an InDesign file to an accessible PDF file (tagged PDF), if any endnotes contain hyperlinks, the tagging structure is messed up. Starting with the first hyperlink (not the links for the endnote references), all of the endnotes from that point on are in the link tag for that first hyperlink. I encountered a very similar bug a few years ago when exporting to the EPUB format with documents that contained endnotes that finally got resolved a year or so after the bug was reported.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. You do not have access to Publish Online service.

I have been working with publish online services and have spent the past few days publishing some document and everything works.

Suddenly today, I began receiving this error when trying to publish online "You cannot use this feature right now. Please check your network connectivity."

Additionally, when I try to access the publish online dashboard I see this error: "You do not have access to Publish Online service."

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Viewing page with linked image causes file to be marked as dirty (needs saving)

InDesign version: 15.1.1
    Additional versions tried: 15.0.3, 15.0, 14.0.3
    MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) on two different computers

To reproduce:
    1. Create a new empty document.
    2. Add a second page to the document.
    3. Place Image, onto the page you're viewing (I did a PNG)
    4. Save and close the document.
    5. Open the document.
    6. Wait 2-20 seconds, doing nothing to change the document.

Expected result: document opens to page with placed image, nothing else happens / changes.

Actual result: document opens to page with placed image, and after a delay the document is marked as changed (asterisk appears in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2020 spinning wheel

InDesign 2020 has become almost unusable for me -- with every step the spinning wheel appears and delays for 30 seconds until ultimately I need to force quit. I am using the latest version of 2020 15.1.2. Should I revert to an earlier version?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Crash during spell check

At any stage in spell checking but usually at the start. Running Mac Catalina and In Design 15.1.1 on a McBook Pro 2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. PDF issue with WorkSans variable font

I'm getting a strange issue with the WorkSans static variable font when exporting a PDF. The font is from Google Fonts -- https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Work+Sans. The weight in the attached example is WorkSans Black. A strange overlap issue is happening in the crossbar of the A. The issue only seems to be occurring in that letterform. The only way I can seem to resolve this is by converting the font to outlines in InDesign, which is not ideal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Slow performance - spinning wheel - AdobeFnt22.lst

Hi Adobe, we are still having major issues with a lot of spinning wheels in InDesign version 15.1.1. because of the AdobeFnt22.lst files that are created with every document. Basically when we open a document it resyncs/updates the AdobeFnt22.lst file of every document that was previously worked from that Mac. This is causing a lot of network traffic and spinning wheels in InDesign. The problem is fixed if we restart the Mac or rename the "Document fonts" folder so that InDesign no longer uses the fonts so does not create an "AdobeFnt.lst" file. Can you please sort this out, it…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Script | Selection on merged row makes indesign crash

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a new problem with a script I was working on, it is supposed to read every cells I selected and let me apply a cell and paragraph style. It works fine unless my first selection is a merge row and the second one a row without any merge.

so selecting this two rows with this code makes indesign crash (see: rows.png):

try {

var mySelection = app.selection[0];

alert(app.selection[0].contents)

} catch (e) {

alert("error\n" + e.number + ": " + e.message)

}

Thanks for your help,
    Nicolas

here's an example of my selection that crashes (error.png)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base