Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.

• In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Vertical Text Alignment not working correctly in InDesign 2020

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2020 and find all the text in circles not aligned vertically center. Document was last opened in CC 2019 and these were fine. I haven’t modified these since. Rectangles are fine. See attached example - clearly not right and inconsistently so. I have tried every setting and I can’t get them to line up. Thanks!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

If you have created documents from ID15.0 where you see this issue, please do a Force Recomposition of the Text Frames (Cmd-Opt-/ on Mac, Ctrl-Alt-/ on Win) to make it work correctly.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height" causes InDesign 2020 to freeze

Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height", text aligned to baseline and anchored object settings "anchored position: custom", "anchorPoint: bottom left/center/right" causes InDesign 2020 (15.0.1) to freeze (on Mac and PC).

1. create an new document (size doesn't matter)

2. create an new textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

3. create a second textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

4. insert some text in second generated textframe

5. select the text and apply the option "align to baseline".

6. anchor second textframe into the first created textframe

7. set anchored object settings of the anchored textframe to: "anchored position: custom" and "anchorPoint: bottom left or bottom center or bottom right"

8. select the anchored…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. CC2020: Alternate text for hyperlinks

In CC2020 a new function for writing alternate text for links was introduced.
    Using this function and generating a PDF Leeds to wrong PDF notation. The alt text in PDF is presented by alt text, which is forbidden in the PDF world, where alt text only should be used for non text elements, e.g. pictures. By presenting only the alt text the accessibility is lost – this is against the goal to hav a better output!
    A correct output would lead to a content entry.

Note: Alt text for links is under discussion, as such alt text is not present…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

167 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

11. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Media panel crash

I’m using Indesign 2020 and every time I go to window<interactive<media and the panel opens the second I click it it becomes huge and then Indesign freezes

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

15. In Japanese version, "Column" is incorrectly translated as "列" instead of "段"

InDesign 15.0.1
    There are at least eight places where "Column" should be translated as "段" in the Japanese version, but "列".
    Please see the list on the next page along with the Japanese version of the screen capture.
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

日本語版で"Column"を"段"と訳すべきところ、"列"と訳されているところが少なくとも8箇所あります。
    次のページに日本語版の画面キャプチャとともにリストアップしましたので見てください。
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko, the underline doesn't show

When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko characters, the underline doesn't show. It means, the underline feature is set correctly, but it does not appear against TateChuYoko characters. We’ve struggled to this bug for a long time. As workaround, we have to create Anchor objects for TateChuYoko characters, or to put stroke lines instead of underline. These workarounds waste a lot of time. Please fix this ASAP.ASAP.

[Japanese]
    縦中横に下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグ

縦中横の文字に、下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグがあります。私たちは長い期間、このバグに悩まされています。仕方なく別テキストフレームで対応したり、別の罫線で対応するなど、時間のかかる無駄な作業をしなくてはなりません。このバグには、私たち多くのユーザーがとても困っていますので、早く修正をしてください。

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

17. Variable Fonts stem weight issue, even when Create Outlines is used

When using a variable font in InDesign, some glyphs collapse even when I use Type > Create Outlines, so it's not just a display issue. The same glyph in the same named instance displays correctly in browsers, Chrome and Safari, and other apps that support variable fonts, like FontView. (screenshots are attached)

Please fix this so that variable fonts display the same in InDesign as they do in other applications, thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

As per discussion, the bug occurs for all Adobe applications and is not specific to InDesign.
    Furthermore, the issue is not related to Create Outline workflow

-InDesign Team

18. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base