Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. User Interface - Middle & Light Gray - Selections in Layers - Not Visible

The middle light gray Interface, third selection from left does not show the selections in the layers panel. it may change to a very close color. The lightest gray interface shows selections poorly., Not easily seen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Ligatures cause ADA compliance issues! Let's have a preference option to turn them all off, globally.

Please, please add a global Preference in the Advanced Type window to TURN OFF ALL LIGATURES. These are problematic to ADA requirements. This would be just an additional global preference that we could set when we have no InDesign documents open, so that any new documents (after we turn off the ligatures in the preference area) would not have ligatures.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Page Transition - Interactivity Preview

On Indesign CC, I applied simple page transition on 2 pages. However, the transition is not previewing in the EPUB Interactivity Preview. When you go to the next page, it no page transition applies.

So I tried doing it on Indesign CS6, and it shows the page transition.

Can anybody help me with this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Poor performance with placed InDesign documents

When placing a really large dimensioned InDesign document into a smaller document the performance of that smaller document is crippled to the point where it becomes unusable, especially when there are many placed InDesign documents.

To test:
    Create 4 different InDesign documents that are 3600 x 2580mm in size.
    Create an A4 booklet with 4 pages.
    Place a different one of the larger InDesign documents on each page of the A4 booklet.
    Try and navigate from the first page to the last page of the A4 document.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. long text variable

InDesign (2020) crashes on opening IDML file with to long text variable as header. It worked in InDesign 2019.
    InDesign (2020) kraschar vid öppnande av IDML-fil som innehåller textvariabel med för mycket text. Det fungerade i InDesign 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. copy and paste removing spaces

I have ahad a problem recently when copying text from word documents to indesign where it randomly removes and adds spaces to the text body. This is extremly time consuming to resolve. i believe it is an internal bug in the new update.

Indesign CC 15.0.2 (Windows 10 x64)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Alphabetical order is wrong

When building an Index, the alphabetical order imposed is not correct (I'm working in Spanish). Specifically, spaces should be counted before words ("A Song" should go before "Ableton", for example), at least in Spanish, whilst now it's doung the opposite, counting "A Song" like it was "Asong" and putting it after "Ableton".

Please make the modification, or allow the user to change the order manually, or access the language "alphabetical order" if that's possible. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Indesign 2019 not allowing access to styles menu on MacOS working remotely

When working at home, using only wifi with a booster on a national carrier and MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6, Indesign 2019 (14.0.3 and using Adobe Cloud) does not allow access to styles panel to edit or do anything with styles. When working in-office and using wifi there, I have no problem accessing the styles. At home, Indesign just does nothing forever and I have to hit ESC to go on to do other work, not getting the changes I need.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. CC Libraries content icon with spinning wheel

I have a 3GB CC Library full of adverts for a magazine. Whenever I drag a new advert over to the CC Libraries panel, it will add the new artwork, but then its icon will show a blank square with four spinning squares inside. This has occurred ever since ID v15. I'm currently using v15.0.2.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. ICML export doesn't preserve the paragraph styles of endnotes.

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2
    2. Export a story containing endnotes as ICML
    3. Endnotes should be styled properly
    4. Endnotes lose the applied paragraph style
    5. UserVoice will not allow me to attach an IDML or INDD file. I can email it if needed.

What this means is that anyone using InCopy will lose the paragraph styling of their endnotes.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are looking into it

-InDesign Team

13. InDesign 2020

InDesign is shutting down my palettes. So everytime i close out a document, my pallette set up disappears. Every. Time. I have to set up my pallettes every time and it is super frustrating. Is there a way (that I don't know) to keep my pallettes set up the way i want all the time? Also I am not touching tab, either.

Also, why is there not a mobile InDesign App for ipad?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Fit frame to content" doesn't work anymore after a lot of pages in file

Working on a catalogue, a lot of files in a book. The "fit frame to content" works good until after a lot of pages (I think after 50 or 60 pages) suddenly it doesn't work anymore. With a textframe & also tableframe. But with an image it still works...
    Also very change, when you split the textframe in for example 2, on the second textframe it will work (fit frame to content).
    All the fit options don't work for text & tableframes.
    The right-click and choose the option don't work and also the shortcut doesn't work.

2 other colleagues have…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Font list on wrong side of scree

Hi all. I have no idea what happened. I have Indesign 15.0.2 x64.
    I have been working in Indesign daily and this morning, all of the sudden things seem all jacked.

Mainly, which I cannot figure out, the font list for years has been on the left hand side of the screen when working with the text tool. Today it is on the right side of the tool bar. I reset to my preferred workspace, nada. I selected Essentials Classic and same.

What happened and how do I put it back? Essentials Classic should not have a different layout. InDesign…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Mapping errors of PDF comments for deletion when applied to list items (CC 2020)

PDF comments for deletion of list items get wrongly mapped to InDesign when importing to CC 2020; e.g. include the last character from previous list item if bullet point / numbering was included in selection to be deleted, or are mapped to a completely wrong part of a document.

Haven't tested with older versions of ID.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. screen blacks out momentarily (flickers, blinks, flashes, etc) in InDesign CC 14.0.2

screen blacks out momentarily (flickers, blinks, flashes, etc) in InDesign CC 14.0.2
    How do I stop this, it i is very distracting

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When in text tool, command-a does not select all the Text in the Box, but all boxes on the page instead

When I am in text tool (and not just switched there but have been there for a longer time) and klick into a text box, and it CLEARLY has been selected and the curser is there, pressing command-a to select all the text in this box selects ALL the boxes on this page, even though the arrow has not been selected and the curser was already visible.

This happens so often that I am nearing madness with this bug. Is there a way to get this back to being normal again?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When working over VNC, often Tools cannot be chosen

When I connect to my Mac over macOS-VNC, I can use everything as needed. Unfortunately sometimes Indesign shows the hand and lets me use only the hand to move the page, although I clicked the Arrow e.g. and it is selected. I the cannot select Text, change sizes of boxes etc. The only remedy is to reconnect via VNC, but not every time that works. I do not have this with any other program than indesign, so I am starting my journey of finding the root of this here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base