Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Resize Pages Tool does not work

The resize pages tool does not work. The page size always jumps back to its initial size. You always have to enter the size manually. Also the resizing from an anchor point of the page does not work properly. Especially elements outside the artboard (for example in the info section) don't place accordingly.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. »Adobe Server sind nicht erreichbar« die Meldung kommt ... keine Firewall, richtige Uhrzeit richtiges Datum. Hilfe!!!

»Adobe Server sind nicht erreichbar« die Meldung kommt ... keine Firewall, richtige Uhrzeit richtiges Datum. Hilfe!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Either the file does not exist... ERROR

I've noticed a pattern when clicking on one of my recent file icons... I use two different cloud storage platforms, Dropbox and Sync. Both services are accessed from local folders on the same external hard drive. When trying to open one of the recent DROPBOX files from the Recent start page, I get the dreaded 'Either the file does not exist...' error.

BUT, when I follow the same process with one of the SYNC files, it opens with no issues.

ALSO, I can open files from EITHER service using the File > Open Recent method.

So... could the problem somehow…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. Import PDF Comments - New issues

We are facing below issue with PDF Comments option. Please check and resolve the same in next release.

Point1: We received the insert marking with space, but the insert correction not imported in correct place in InDesign. It's moved to after the actual character. I've attached screen shot and samples FYR...

Point2: We have PDF corrections in figure group. While importing the PDF corrections in InDesign, the imported correction not placed to correction position as per PDF. It's moved to some other place.

Point3: We marked the deletion correction in PDF for entire sentence include period. But InDesign deleted the…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Track changes slow

The track changes feature is very slow. If I click on »accept and search for next« (sorry, I’m running a German locale of InDesign) in a long document (100+ pp.), I’ll have to wait for the next tracked change.

Please speed this up!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Handtool Spacebar not working (CC2020)

When ending Sleep Mode on my MacBook Pro, the Handtool via the spacebar in InDesign does not work nor in any other Adobe Application. No other Application open besides Mail. Restart Applications doesn´t help. Just a whole Restart of the Computer.

Happens with macOS Mojave (10.14.6)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 60 Noto (foreign) fonts showing up in middle of drop down font listing.

I have recently upgraded to Adobe CC 2020, and also upgraded to Mac OS Catalina. when I open my font drop down menu I expect to see all of the 'foreign' (non english) fonts at the bottom of the list. Instead, there is a font 'Noto' with 60 font families in the menu. I've checked in 'Font Book' on my mac, and that font is NOT listed as an 'english' font, so I assume it SHOULD go to the bottom of the menu. These fonts show up in the middle of font listing of other CC programs as well (Photoshop…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. text shadow

I have a text box with Drop Shadow Effect on the text itself. When I edit the text, the shadow does not change. I discovered quite accidentally that Undo (CTRL+Z) then Redo (CTRL+SHIFT+Z) fixes the issue.

However, when I change the angle of the object (text box), the text moves but the shadow remains in place. I cannot fix it even by adjusting the Effect angle options.

I have another issue where I have two separate text boxes on the same page with the exact same font and supposed font size, but the text is quite obviously not actually the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Unable to remove External Plug-ins

Third party plugins were used in the received indesign file for further edit. Unable to remove those plugins and getting an error message while packaging the file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Variable fonts broken with World Ready Paragraph Composer

Using the World-ready composer essentially breaks the glyph width interpolation of Variable Fonts. The outcome is that text set in a Variable Font will receive the Variable Font's default style's horizontal glyph widths for any axis location, resulting in unusable overlap or gaps.

Attached you find a sample Indesign file with comparison and a screenshot thereof. This happens with any Variable Font I have tested so var, but to complete the same test case as included, download https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans-pro/releases/download/3.006R/source-sans-pro-3.006R.zip and install VAR/SourceSansVariable-Roman.otf as well as OTF/*.otf files.

Link to Indesign file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8fpld7ks7k8rb4/bug-report-variable-font-world-ready-composer.indd?dl=0

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

16. Problem with changing the cursor to text - Indd 2020

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2020 v. 15.03. x64, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text and to back. It takes about 40-50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign. The size of the processed file does not affect the error. Thanks for feedback.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Lost information in Links and Color/swatches Indesign 2020

The information in the windows for Links and Color/swatches (Think it is the name in English) have disappeared. I have tried to restart program, restart computer and various other adjustment, but no result. The information does not show. I have both color and links in my work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Paragraph bottom border overlaps the text

As I mentioned here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/paragraph-bottom-border-overlaps-the-text/m-p/11348398?page=1 the issue occurs when I set a paragraph style with a border and additionally anchor a text frame at the end of it. The border overlaps each time changes to text are made (additional lines, adding a page, deleting a page – everything that causes the flow of the text).

Some similar issue was reported here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38784706-footnotes-in-paragraph-borders-style by swapan.

InDesign version ID 2020 15.1.1 and PR Installer (15.1.2.221) on Windows 10. The problem occurs since I have started using a combination paragraph border + anchored text frame (more than 8 month ago). For testing I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Adobe Fonts not activating

When I need to activate a font from Adobe Fonts directly from Find Font context menu inside InDesign, it keeps loading indefinitely but never actually activates.

The only solution is going to Adobe Fonts web page and activate it there.

Screenshot attached.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hyperlink shows up grey in hyperlinks panel despite the URL NOT working

When using the hyperlinks panel, links will show up grey when the URL is non existent, they don't show up as red.
    The screen shot shows group 42 which is grey, when it should be a red error.
    the other shot is my indesign version--using CC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base