Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. tiff transparency

Transparency of TIFF files does not work in InDesgin. The same files worked well in Windows, Photoshop. I have to get around by batch transform TIFFs into PNGs in order to save the transparency. Please fix it.

The attachment is one of my TIFF files that doesn't work with InDesign only.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PDF export - massive file size difference between 143 and 144 dpi

I've been exporting a couple of display stand artwork pieces from inDesign cc19. My background flattened jpeg in the inDesign document is 200dp and the rest is a few vector objectsi. I export using the PDFX1a:2001 spec as this is what the printer requested. By default the file size for 1.07GB, which is huge. I adjusted the downsampling on export and found that setting it 143dpi produces a 15.3MB PDF, yet changing it 144dpi makes the file hundreds of MBs. So 1 dpi changes drastically how big the PDF output file size is. Why is this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Select all unused" triggers "Small panel rows" in Styles palette

Version: 14.0.0.130

STR: Select "Select all unused" in Paragraph or Character Styles pallet

ER: Should select all styles not used in current document

AR: Triggers "Small panel rows" instead

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PDF Export Formatting Issue

I found that no matter what export options I use or how I format my file, it exports incorrectly. My content is in 2 columns on InDesign but when exported it seems pretty random how the PDF is structured (see the image).

This poses a problem for parsing software to be able to read the document in the correct order. It's common practice within most companies to use this for resumes. I'm sure it's also used elsewhere as well.

I've contacted support and they tried to resolve the issue by using my computer remotely. They found that this feature is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 異なるサイズ設定の文字が混在した縦組みテキストフレームを拡大・縮小した際、初めの設定部分だけ縦横が逆転する

Win7.cc2015.5にて

文字を流し込んだテキストフレームのサイズを拡大・縮小ツールで非等倍に変更すると、最初のサイズ設定部分のみ縦横の拡大が逆転してしまいます。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. gridify when placing images

In Version CC2019 (14.0) the gridify function misbehaves when placing images.
    With the gutter-dimension changed for 1 spread the gridify function keeps the same spacing as with the other pages. For drawn shapes using the gridify-function everything acts normal. MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When I copy and paste from Illustrator CC into InDesign CC, instead of the vector art I get this text.

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 22.1.0, SVG Export Plug-In -->
    <svg version=”1.1”

xmlns=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">http://www.w3.org/2000/svg</a>” xmlns:xlink=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink</a>” xmlns:a=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/">http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/</a>”

x=”0px” y=”0px” width=”5.9px” height=”5.9px” viewBox=”0 0 5.9 5.9” style=”enable-background:new 0 0 5.9 5.9;”
    xml:space=”preserve”&gt;

<style type=”text/css”>

.st0{clip-path:url(#SVGID_2_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}

.st1{clip-path:url(#SVGID_4_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}

</style>
    <defs>
    </defs>
    <g>

&lt;defs&gt;

&lt;rect id=”SVGID_1_” width=”5.9” height=”5.9”/&gt;
    &lt;/defs&gt;
    &lt;clipPath id=”SVGID_2_”&gt;
    &lt;use xlink:href=”#SVGID_1_” style=”overflow:visible;”/&gt;
    &lt;/clipPath&gt;
    &lt;circle class=”st0” cx=”3” cy=”3” r=”2.8”/&gt;

</g>
    </svg>

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. Transparency Bug

BUG
    Periodically, transparency function stops working. Objects previously displayed as transparent no longer render that way. Usually restarting indesign fixes it.

Indesign CC2018
    Mac iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    Plug in - suitcase fusion Version 19.1.0 (7201)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. cc 2019 Book (.indb) Export to uncompressed PDF creating low-res PDFs

Twice this week, I've had a problem using Books (.indb) with cc 2019. When exporting with no compression, 300 dpi images are compressing down to 33 dpi.

The only solution I've found is going back to cc 2018.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. bug

Socorro!
    Isso começou a acontecer recentemente.
    Podem corrigir?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

12. InDesign crashes

InDesign 14.0.1 MacOS Mojave

Program crashes every time I open it, with any file. It tried to recover the last file it opened but nothing works.

Tried: erasing prefs, cache, dumped the Recovery files, Uninstall, Reinstall. Still having the same issue. This is happening on two of my Computers at work.
    Tried the same solutions on both computers and still having the same crash issues.

PS: Program was working OK yesterday, 1-8-2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. keyboard shortcut CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-Enter reverted on restart. Num . and Num enter not working.

Indesign 14.0.1. x64, german, german keyboard layout

I try to delete the shortcuts for
    - Windows > Interactive: EPUB-Interactive-Preview
    - Panels > EPUB-Interactive-Preview: Documentpreview
    - Panels > EPUB-Interactive-Preview: Spread preview

and i try to reassigne these shortcuts "CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-Enter" and "ALT-SHIFT-ENTER" etc. to other functions. I save my custom keyboard shortcuts and it works for this session. But everytime i restart Indesign they are revcerted to the EPUB-functions.

ALSO the numpad keys "," and "enter" are no longer differentiated from the normal "," and "enter" keys and are thus not working. Back in Indesign CS6 the numpad keys were labeled "Num…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Indesign CC2019 14.0.1 - Some panels collapsed after restart

Indesign 14.0.1 x64, german, Windows8

I have "Character", "Paragraph|Stories|Attributes", "Layers", "Color"-Panels docked to the left side of Indesign on Screen 1. I also have several other panels stacked but freefloating on a second screen. No panel is ever minimized. No panel is ever collapsed in my setup. I always have them expanded and open. This is my standart workspace. After closing Indesign and starting it, sometimes it collapes the left-docked panels. The freefloating panels on screen2 remain ok.

In settings "auto-minimize panels" is OFF.
    "Auto show panels" is checked "ON".

Please see screenshot attached.

Expected behaviour is - of course…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Embedded PDF/AI images causes documents created from IDMLs to double in size

File size almost doubles when exporting an INDD document to IDML and then re-save it as an INDD if it has embedded PDF or AI images.

Create a new InDesign document.
    Place a PDF/AI image in it.
    Embed the image in the InDesign file.
    Save the InDesign file.
    Export the InDesign file to IDML.
    Open the IDML and save it as an INDD document.

The resulting INDD document will have a file size of almost double the size of the original INDD document. This affects all versions of InDesign (CS6-CC2019) and embedded PDFs created in different applications (Illustrator, Acrobat, Preview).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. TIff

Can't place TIF or PNG files into InDesign. The internet tells me that I can, however I've been trying for hours and it only works when I convert to JPG.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cannot export pdf from Adobe InDesign. Latest version. Latest Mac OS. Hasn't worked since September 2018.

I am beyond frustrated with Adobe. I cannot export a pdf from Adobe InDesign either conventionally nor when publishing online. I am running the Latest version. Latest Mac OS. Exporting hasn't worked since September 2018. This is debilitating to my business. I need a solution and not a workaround, please.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. shortcuts, backspace, arrows left right up down stopped working

InDesign 14.0.1 x64 (PC) Keyboard shortcuts, text backspace, arrows left-right-up -down stopped working

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. HTML Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2018 - 13.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to HTML

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result: Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

20. 60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base