Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There is no InDesign's icon

InDesign's icon is broken in the alt-tab menu on Windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data Merge: Remove blank lines for empty fields no longer works in CC2018

InDesign CC2018 English latest update. Since the update when data merging from a CSV file blank lines are not deleted. Yes, Remove Blank Lines is checked in the options.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please refer to this article : https://indesignsecrets.com/rid-empty-lines-data-merge.php for more information on how the feature ‘Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields’ work. Basically, if there are some fields that don’t have data in the CSV file, InDesign will remove the blank line in the merged document that is created. However, if you have an entire record(row) missing in the CSV file, it won’t remove that record in the merged document – you will still see an empty record in the merged document.

3. InDesign Lock File does not go away

Lock File (0 KB) remains after InDesign file is closed. Lock File does not go away. Oldest lock file is 10 days old. PC Laptop shut down every night.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Shortcut doesn't work

Sometimes shortcuts works, sometimes don't ... crtl+c, ctrl+v ... even suppr !
    but the keyboard works : alt for duplicate works.

Is there a manipulation for this to work all the times or is it a bug?
    I am in InDesign CC 2018.

Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Hunspell dictionaries cannot be added in Sierra or High Sierra

Adding Hunspell dictionaries breaks code-signing, and results in the whole of InDesign's spelling system being sand-boxed by OSX.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On High Sierra and InDesign CC, add a Hunspell dictionary, as detailed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

2. Spell-check any InDesign document using the new dictionary and spell-checking then becomes unusable, until InDesign is uninstalled then re-installed.

The following types of errors are produced in the console, showing that it's a code-signing issue, caused by dictionaries being installed within the Hunspell plugin bundle.

Can I suggest that there should be another place to install additional languages, outside the InDesign application.

The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Missing item in startup screen should be removed

If I move a document on my hard drive, of course it’s gonna be missing in the recent items of inDesign. (normal)
    At that moment, instead of « missing doc -> OK » i should have :
    « missing doc -> remove from recent docs / Ok »
    * OK would do the exact same thing, closing the message window and leaving the icon/item there.
    * remove would remove it from the list so that I don’t see it again and mistakenly click it again.
    Why keeping the « OK » item at all ? So that I can keep…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Data Merge, Export To Pdf - Record Limit per Document

The "Record Limit per Document" feature, when doing as Export to PDF data merge, does not work. If I try to export a 6 record pdf, with the Record Limit per Document set to 1, instead of 6 files, I get one.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Page wont show in page panel

There are some pages that are created from before. They even have a master applied on them but the page panel wont show all my pages. I can not select them or move them. Please help.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. English (UK) dictionary apparently not working

Why, when I have set things to PROPER English rather than American English, is the spellchecker still working in Mericanese?

The attached will show British spellings being highlighted as wrong, yet PROPER English selected in preferences.

Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can select the text frame and change the language in the Control panel
    or you can select a specific portion of text, say a word, in a frame and change the language for that in the Control panel.

If you want to change the application’s default language, in a no document state, edit the [Basic Paragraph] style in the Paragraph Styles panel (in Advanced Character Formats) category.

11. Adobe inDesign is shutting down

Adobe in Design is shutting dow. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents. This happened when importing an image cmd D.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Removing blank lines from Data Merge resets the paragraph style of the blank line to the style directly above it

This is version 14.0.2 of InDesign for the mac

For example, in a business card, some employees have a direct and mobile phone number, some employees only have a direct phone number. If there is a "Direct" paragraph style and a "Mobile" paragraph style, on a record where there isn't a Mobile number, after previewing the next record with both numbers the "Direct" paragraph style is now applied to the Mobile number.

The data merge should retain the paragraph styles based on the placeholders, not the previewed data.

Images I have attached:
    1: placeholder view showing Direct style
    2: placeholder…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Anchored Object Lock/Prevent Manual Position Override

The Prevent Manual Positioning creates a Locked Object, but unlocking the widget doesn't remove the Prevent manual override.

When you check to "Prevent Manual Override" an anchored object receives a lock adornment. An object Style can be created from this object. If that lock is unlocked the Object style shows as override, but the "Prevent Manual Override" is still checked.

If the object style is redefined. The lock adornment is still unlocked, and the "Prevent Manual Positioning" is still checked. Reapplying the style locks the object.

There should be more consistent behaviour of "Prevent Manual Positioning" and the "Lock". Even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. error message about activating fonts constantly flicking up, then disappearing.

the error message is constantly just flicking on screen and disappearing. it even pops up when using other programs in front of in design.

could fonts just go into memory once you open a doc and there is plenty of memory left. to avoid constant font issues. indesign is always telling me fonts that are installed have gone missing, then a few seconds later they come back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Font Issues

InDesign 2019 doesn't recognize Raleway and Ultra Stint fonts when opening documents created in InDesign 2018. Fonts are loaded and active under the Creative Cloud, system has been started/restarted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Background Tasks stuck on "Cancelling"

I was exporting multiple PDFs that were not exporting properly. When I figured out they were stuck, I manually cancelled the export in "Background Tasks". Both tasks have been "Cancelling" for two days. I cannot close the files nor can I close InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Gradient Angle Resets to Default when Changing Color in Gradient Swatch

I have an object selected that has a gradient swatch applied to it, and the gradient goes from top to bottom. I then go to the color menu and double-click the gradient swatch. Now when I click on one of the two color squares in the gradient swatch the angle of the gradient on the selected object will revert back to its default angle (left to right). This only happens to objects that I have selected. Both on my macbook and windows pc. InDesign version 14.0.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Links panel

When you highlight a link in the document, it used to highlight the corresponding image in the links panel, so you could easily edit or replace, instead of having to scroll through the links panel trying to identify the asset from the thumbnail. A minor workflow thing but it makes a difference. Would love to have this feature back in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base