Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

883 results found

1. Load DTD throws error in InDesign 2022 (17.0)

When using the structure menu to load a DTD , the latest version of InDesign sometimes throws an error with a single period as the message. I'm using the same DTD I've used successfully in previous versions of InDesign.

Error text:
    Line 941, Column: 18

In the context of this DTD, line 941 column 18 points to the % sign used to refer to an earlier parameter entity. This has never been a problem for InDesign before:

<!ELEMENT sam (%paragraph_styles; | table | footnote | endnote)+ >

Even using the same DTD in the same file, this issue doesn't…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Need Alternative Launch images

I do not think the launch images in photoshop, indesign and illustrator are culturally sensitive. They should not include any people especially not raunchy females (as in photoshops blonde superhero type) female. Who needs that in their life? It doesn't help people be happy with their own partner or spouse to have some perfect looking woman staring at them! They should be totally neutral - landscapes, nature, no people please!! I posted this as a feature request too to at least have the option to disable this launch image. Thank you for your consideration on this issue.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Relink from CC Libraries Sorting

When Relinking assets in InDesign using "Relink from CC Libraries", the CC Libraries panel that shows isn't capable of having its sort order (date modified vs alphabetically) changed nor is it able to show Groups - please fix so it has the same view functionality as the regular CC Libraries Panel.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. harfbuzz

Compile Harfbuzz with Graphite support enabled.

InDesign 2020 uses Harfbuzz for complex script rendering. Harfbuzz has the capability to use Graphite instructions for rendering complex scripts, but Adobe has compiled Harfbuzz without Graphite support.

Graphite is needed for rendering some character combinations used in languages which are not supported by other font technologies.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Cells formatted as Number/Currency etc. in Excel without decimal places or as Date not imported correctly into InDesign.

InDesign CC : 2020 / 15.0.0.155
    MacOS : 10.13.6
    MS Excel : 16.30 for Mac

We were able since ever (last version ID CC 2019) to import Excel data-cells by InDesign with the placing functionality. With the actual version of InDesign CC 2020 numbers without any decimal places (e.g. 153) are not imported from Excel files and are displayed in InDesign with a "0" - (e.g. 153 imports to InDesign as 0). If the numbers in the Excel files have at least 1 decimal place numbers are imported correctly (e.g. 153.6 imports to InDesign as 153.6). Please fix this InDesign…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Color Settings change to Emulate InDesign 2.0

Color Mode changes from whatever is set in InDesign when switching app from Adobe Photoshop to InDesign (latest versions) ... I am getting the same problem when switching from Photoshop to the latest Illustrator as well.

Problem Occurs even when InDesign (and Illustrator) are both shut down. After launching Photoshop and then shutting Photoshop down, Color Settings in InDesign and Illustrator are both changed to "Emulate".

PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM and impacts my workflow horribly as I am back-and-forth between these applications regularly.

I have checked Bridge as well... and default is set to North American…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Please let us know if this issue still happens with the latest InDesign Release

Thanks

8. # in URLs of Hyperlinks in Hyperlinks panel is substituted with %23 when opened in browser from panel

Hi together,
    when working with hyperlinks with URL destination an URL like:

https://wiki.selfhtml.org/wiki/HTML/Elemente/a#Siehe_auch

will not be transferred to the browser as is when the menu command "Go to Destination" is used or if the "green" bullet in the panel is clicked that indicates a correct and connectable hyperlink destination.

Instead character # will be substituted with %23 like that:

https://wiki.selfhtml.org/wiki/HTML/Elemente/a%23Siehe_auch

The implication could be two-fold:
    [1] The browser could show an 404 error
    [2] The browser could not navigate to the named anchor and the view of the page is showing the top part of the page.

The URL above…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Print doc from the "share for review" page

To review a document, some people like to print it to have a better look at it.

Currently there is no option to print from the new "share for review" page, but having it would be very useful for some.
    Otherwise we still need to make and send a separate pdfs for review.

So, it would be appreciated if you can somehow add it.

Sincerely
    JP

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. As confirmed from you all, the crash issue is not happening with latest InDesign build. The only remaining issue is that of Grep not working when a period is followed by an endnote marker

We will look into the issue shortly.

-InDesign

11. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

12. Indesign 2022 (17.1.0.50) IDLK file does not lock

This problem was recently flagged as resolved, but despite the newest InDesign and MacOS versions it is still possible for two users to open the same Indesign file. We are working on a network volume over SMB and it is possible for my colleague to open the same file I am working with. The *.idlk file was generated by the first user, but it is not recognized by the second Indesign user and sometimes subsequently just disappears.

I also tried to reproduce this issue with Indesign 2020 but all worked just as expected.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Data Merge not populating correctly when placeholder curse overflow

When using Data-Merge with an .txt/.csv and using export as pdf, indesign (still) merge the fields wrong (only use the first data-entry), if the placeholder and not the data curse an frame-overflow.

Detailed description:
    You have a textframe with enough space to place the string "888", but not enough space to place "8888".
    You have a .csv table with a colum named "number" and values from "1" to "999".
    You select the file with data-merge and get a placeholder "<<number>>" and replace the "888" with it. Now you got a frame overflow.
    You select preview, and all values (1 -…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

15. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

16. Background Tasks stuck on "Cancelling"

I was exporting multiple PDFs that were not exporting properly. When I figured out they were stuck, I manually cancelled the export in "Background Tasks". Both tasks have been "Cancelling" for two days. I cannot close the files nor can I close InDesign.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Extension option missing

Extension option is missing in Window menu. So, i can't the see my added extensions.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. My InDesign CC window will not minimise into the dock?

Hi,

Not sure where to go with this one but I have just upgraded to Adobe CC and noticed that I'm unable to 'Minimise' the window in InDesign and also noticed that it won't do it in Illustrator but Photoshop does minimise (ODD!)

All it will do is when you double click it fills to fit screen and then the opposite.

I have posted this onto the forum and others have mentioned that they are also experiencing this problem.

(I have turned on the 'Double -click a windows title bar to minimize' in the System Preferences)

Please could you help…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign hyperlink %0D bug

When I cut and paste URLs from a text document into the hyperlink dialog box, I can accidentally get a carriage return included. InDesign "includes" the carriage return in the one-line dialog box field but gives no indication that it's there.

Once I export the InDesign document to a PDF and then click on the link in the PDF, the link shows with a %0D at the end and it fails with a 404 not found.

This is extremely annoying because InDesign gives no indication that the carriage return is there with its one-line link dialog box field.

What should…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Search field does not work in Open dialogue box

Simple search filename request in the Open dialogue box and the search does not work in InDesign. This works in EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION KNOWN TO MAN. Just not in InDesign. InDesign is becoming the most unstable app I have ever worked within in over 10 years. Come on Adobe - this is Mac App 101 and you are FAILING MISERABLY. Fix this embarrassment immediately.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base