Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. publish online

There is an issue with interactions and Chrome on Windows 10 platform. Initial load shows all toolbars and navigation arrows, as soon as you try to interact with any element on the screen toolbar and nav arrows disappear. I get an angular error (attached screenshot). It happens on multiple devices. Any thoughts? I looked around on the forum and there was no real solution. Notice in the screenshot how the toolbar disappears from the bottom of the browser page.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. publish online

Unable to create a URL from the Publish Online button. Does not complete task. Freezes at 98%. I have tried restarting (app and computer both) using a different file extension, etc.

1. Indesign CC 2018 13.1.0 x64 Windows
    2. Click "publish online" from INDD or IDML file
    3. URL from the "publish online" command.
    4. Hangs out at 98% and doesn't produce a URL, but doesn't totally freeze the program. I can still use the program while this happens.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Publish Online rtl

Indesign CC has a very good rtl support but when i publish online a document with binding from right to left it works in Print but not in publish online. Publish online always leads to left to rightsliding. Is this a bug or do i miss something? Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Publish online feature not working after deactivating renewal of creative cloud plan

After I deactivated the renewal of my annual plan (long before the date of renewal), I experienced an issue. When I try to publish from InDesign, it says "error #315: this service is unavailable...". On the My Plans section of the website it says I should still have access to this service until my plan expires. I contacted customer support and they basically told me they can't do anything. I assume this is a bug as the website says I do have access to it, but the app wont let me use it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Embedded Publish Online doc displays thumbnail size in Chrome, can't scroll

Using: InDesign 14.0.1, Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I see someone has already posted this bug, but on Firefox, so this is to let you know that it also happens on Chrome.

To reproduce problem:
    Embed a Publish Online document in a WordPress website.
    Click Read Now
    Document opens in full screen mode but only shows a thumbnail in the top left of the screen instead of showing the full A4 page at 100%. Scrolling through pages will change the page number down the bottom (e.g. 2/2 but still displays image for page 1).

Attached: screenshot of a published…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. mapping styles

After assigning a Class in the Para or Character Style definition dialog (in Export Tagging), the Class usually disappears. So when I go to Edit All Export Tags accessed from a flyout in the paragraph, character, or object styles panel, I have to reassign that Class.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. The button malfunction in Indesign CC

The button sometimes function in Epub and sometimes it does not work.

If I restart the software, it works. There is a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Export Tagging: ‘i’ character in class name exports as blank space

I just did the 2018 update, so I think it's the most recent version: 13.0 x64

I have a document template that contains many character and paragraph styles with export CSS tags that contain the lowercase ‘i’ in them. This character is being exported as a blank space, which completely breaks the CSS, like this:
    should be: <p class="bright"></p>
    getting: <p class="br ght"></p>

This problem was easily replicated in a fresh new document, so it’s something with InDesign, rather than my template file.

This workflow involves complex style mapping through to CSS classes. Because so many of the classes contain…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing the CSS and document. Apparently, I was not able to reproduce the issue, Can you please try to creating new document with few paragraph styles and try exporting the document to HTML and see if the issue is resolved.

9. overlay panel

Adobe InDesign CC 2017, Mac

I want to do an autoplay slideshow with the overlays panel, but the panel overlaps itself, so it's not possible to click anywhere.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Map styles to tags forces image alignment to the left

Consider: an image frame is set inline with paragraph text in a text frame. The image is wider than the width of the text frame, and RIGHT ALIGNED, so that it extends out towards the left of the text frame. When you map styles to tags, the image frame is forced to look left-aligned so that the tag is housed in the text frame. This makes the image now extend TO THE RIGHT of the text frame. PLEASE FIX!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Publish Online Error "An error occurred while uploading your document. Please try again."

For months I have been getting this error message. I have followed all the steps previously mentioned and it still wont fix the issue. Please see the attached image. The last time I was able to publish online was in June 2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Endnotes don't export to ePub

EPUB Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2019 – 14.0.3

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to EPUB

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result:
    Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink. Indesign crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. export tagging

The epub 3.0 reflowable and html exports are dropping characters from the export tags in the html/xhtml files. This just started happening in the last few weeks (not sure exactly when it started), perhaps early Aug 2019. My version of InDesign is upgraded to CC V14.0.3 x64, and it is still happening. I've attached 4 screenshots: 2 show the export tags in Paragraph styles, and the other 2 show the files generated by InDesign (1 in html and 1 in xhtml from an epub export). Characters are dropped from the styles. It doesn't drop a character in all styles, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Minion Pro Glyphs won't export to epub

Minion Pro glyphs won't export to epub despite license saying it's supposed to be supported. Other glyphs are working (wingdings 2 are showing in the pic). It does export to pdf, just not epub.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Text variables consistently break export to fixed epub, resulting in crash.

When there are multiple text variables (say in a running foot, or TOC) the export to fixed epub causes InDesign to crash. When the variables are resolved to actual text, the export works fine. I tried this in InDesign 14.0.2 and also in the Beta Build (14.0.3.407) with the same (crash) result.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. HTML export creates random "id" values for Object styles tags

When exporting html and I check include classes, InDesign generates "id" values for Object Styles.

This could be be useful if there was a way to define the "id" value, but there seems to be no way to do that. Nor is there a way to turn it off outside of unchecking export class

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Email Hyperlinks Not Responding in Published Online File

I have a document that contains some email hyperlinks throughout it. I set up the hyperlinks with the link to "email" option, and then the address as the destination. Creating a "mailto:xyz@xyz.com" link.

After publishing online, when the links are clicked on, it takes the page to a "could not connect" page and does not respond correctly. BUT all email links work completely fine when copied and pasted, right click and opened up in a new tab, when clicking directly from an exported PDF, when clicking from the downloaded PDF from the published online document, etc. It's only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Export to Fixed Layout EPUB - Poor Image Quality

I am currently working on a graphic novel project that I am planning on submitting to apple books as an epub file. The files were created in adobe illustrator and subsequently, linked into adobe indesign to create the final published product. I have noticed that the image quality when exported to epub is far inferior to when that same file is exported to a pdf file. That is regardless of the alterations that you make to PPI or other options (such as altering between PNG, JPG and other file formats) prior to exporting to epub. I have adjusted the PPI…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. animated gif

The animated gif in attachment does not animate in InDesign or when part of a published ebook. I used the Mac iBook to view it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base