Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copying data from Excel table into InDesign table. Data goes into one cell, rather than all.

When pasting Excel table into InDesign table, all cells go into 1st cell as a complete table, rather than populating the table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Text disappears when task is changed

Text disappears when task is changed (returned to ID, v14 x64 Win10). Scrolling helps if the text is outside the window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Non-breaking spaces & non-joiner odd behavior

The attached file has a bunch of samples. In summary, ID2018 on Mac considers a word and following spaces as one word; and a non-joiner is ignored. You'll need New Century Schoolbook LT Std to maintain proper spacing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Text cursor position not accurate

Using Text on Path (Circle), every time. If I click in specific area to make a text correction the cursor shows in the correct area needing change but when typing it is actually 4 characters out of place affecting text not needing changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Typographer's Quotes bug?

I've encountered an issue with Typographer's Quotes not working. I've searched extensively online and tried all the usual suspects (Typographer's Quotes is on in preferences, both Document and without any documents open; reset preferences) but I've been unable to fix them.

After further investigation, it seems that the issue only occurs using a single typeface (Skolar Latin, installed as OTF versions in Windows 10 Pro itself, rather than via Typekit). When typing double or single quote marks in InDesign with any weight of this typeface, then the straight version is inserted, irrespective of the Typographer's Quotes setting. If I do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

----

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

-----

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stops letting me type

I'm using InDesign 2018 and I will have my cursor in a text box and be typing when the program will stop letting me enter new text. The only way to continue entering text is to tab out of the program and back in. I have no idea what step lead to this issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. alt text issues

I'm trying to apply alt text to vector objects and some elements in a table manually in indesign. The "object export options" window isn't allowing me to change the alt text source to custom or anything else besides structure and I am unable to edit/add anything in regards to alt text. I've tested it on other text and images/elements within the document and still run into the same issue.

I'm having a difficult time trying to create an accessible tagged PDF due to this issue and many of the tutorials or help documents are outdated for CC capabilities. Any help…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

12. Text becoming conditional

If I have conditional text in which the condition include the paragraph mark, when I re-open the document, the following paragraph sometimes has the condition applied to it, even though it was unconditional before. This is a repeatable problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. ID 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 typographer quotes not functioning properly despite box being checked

The "typographer quotes" box is checked, but does not produce the correct result. InDesign 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 mid-2011 27" iMac w i7 processor. When going back to panel the box is still checked!

Also BIG slowdown in performance in this version - "spinning ball" for a loooong time!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Font Weight Not Changing

In the Character panel often it is not possible to change a font weight from Regular to Bold for example. I have to go in the font menu and select the font specifically.

Also, in the character panel the menu to change weights does not change anymore when I select a different font. For example: Metropilis Black becomes Calibri Black (which does not exist).

Clearing caches and trashing preferences does not help.

Happens on different machines, Mac Pro at home and different iMacs at work / CC 2018 InDesign 13.01

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. footnote

Does InDesign plan to update its footnote options so that a single column text can have 2-column footnotes at the bottom?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Auto-sizing text frames not working

When I try to auto-size a text box in "Text Frame Options," nothing happens. I generally click on the text box, open the text frame options panel with command-B and click on the auto-size tab. Once inside that panel, I attempt to auto-size. Nothing is grayed out so it appears as if it would work, but when I click on "width only" (or any other option), nothing happens and it just stays on the original selection. And I can't seem to find a work around either.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Editing Text Causes First Line to Move Down

If you edit text, the top line drops down (a little bit? not sure how much), as if the text frame has inset spacing from the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. text outside of text frame

Text suddenly appears outside of frame. This happened on two different pages. In one instance, the number (which is the result of a numbered list) did not appear at all, but it had been previously there, and in other instances, the number appeared outside of the text frame. There were no overrides on the style. This suddenly happened. If i placed my cursor and started typing where the number should have been (and was with all other numbered bullets), then the disappearing number reappeared in the one case, and, in the others, the number moved back into the text frame.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix it!

Footnote symbols at the beginning and at the end of the footnote I can't delete them nor the space that associated with the damn blasted symbol.

It's just a mess. Endnotes footnotes it's a horror show to deal with them. I wasn't before but with this update---truly a horror show.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for mentioning this. Do you mean the blue braces at the end and start of endnote text?
    Those are just markers that depict the start and end of endnote text. This will not be printed or exported. helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/endnotes…

To adjust the spaces, please explore and set the Type→Document Endnote options.

Please let us know if this helps you out.

-Aman

20. Footnotes baseline in CC versions

With Arabic works we need to make a beside footnotes as seen in attachments .. however I did it right way in versions before CC, it is not like that in the new versions (CC and above) .. the baseline in (CC versions) not showing in the right way, Can anyone help for workaround with the style (Beside Footnotes) to make it right??

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base