Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

930 results found

1. Empty merge fields introduce characters that cannot be found

When you perform a data merge and create a new merged document InDesign adds hidden characters where the empty data field would be. These characters cannot be found using a standard search. I have not tried GREP.

In my case I was working on business cards. Some records have no mobile number so there is a blank line in the merged document, apart from the M prefix that would normally indicate a mobile number. I wanted to remove all those lines so I selected one, from the M at the beginning to the paragraph break at the end. I pasted…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts

Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts, but can only be embedded in subsets. It is recommended to add warning reminders.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original w

When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original working file. Also we are experiencing pictures imported that are pdfs as a black block and not showing the imported picture on the printed document. Do you have any recommendations on how this can be resolved? The only way we found to get around the matter is to create a pdf and print from the pdf. This issue has just been happening recently, we’ve never had this issue before.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

When using Smart Text Reflow with conditional text and the "delete empty pages" option selected—Hiding conditional text works as expected removing the empty pages. However, when conditional text is unhidden, Smart Text Reflow does not repopulate the pages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Same" font sizes, but they're not

In the most recent version of indesign, when I copy or duplicate a text box, the font size says it's the same, but it is about 2-3 points bigger. Even after eyedorpping the previous style, it doesn't change. I have to manually make a new text box, recreate the font details before copying and pasting it into the box.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Tabs

Adobe Indesign CC2019 (Latest). MacOS 10.14.5. Mac Pro 6,1.
    Tabs do not work. Applying tabs to text does not work. Adjusting tabs does not work. Resetting tabs the trying to set them again does not work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. hyperlink in Character Formatting Controls menu not always working

When selecting text and using the upper menu Character Formatting Controls to create a hyperlink, this does not always hold true. If I go back and select the text again and right click, the Hyperlink menu will ask for a new hyperlink and not edit hyperlink. Email hyperlinks are not always formatting correctly. If I use the right click menu, it seems to work. When I export, the PDF version do not always display the hyperlinks correctly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. missing fonts

CC 2019 - MISSING FONT MESSAGE OPENING FILES

InDesign files opened on pc's after upgrading to Windows ver1809 cannot load fonts - upon opening file, missing fonts error with option to substitute fonts. The same files will open correctly on Windows ver1803 pc's. These results can be duplicated on multiple pc's.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Endnotes in text flow - Not on a separate page

Import endnotes as plain text in the text flow. NOT on a separate page! How hard is this to understand? I groom text in one document and then copy and paste the magazine article/book chapter into another Indesign file. I can't do this if you put the endnotes in a separate text flow. It's really terrible! Dynamic notes has just been a complete failure!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. No Font Spacing Between Words in InDesign 2019 14.0.x-2 on Mojave 10.14.x-4, Works fine in InDesign 2014 (v10.0.70) on Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted it here too: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11049072#11049072

So, we've had this issue on our new MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave v10.14.4 ever since last year in August when we were on High Sierra (what came with the Mac).

Basically, InDesign is unusable with Gujarati Sangam MN on the 2019 version but on 2014 (v10.0.0.70) version on my old Mac (OS X Yosemite, v10.10.5) it works fine.

What's causing this issue?

We've tried the following:

• Contacted Adobe & Apple support: Apple said to contact Adobe, Adobe was unhelpful, they suggested we look up if the font was installed it it is on the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. roman punctuation

It would be great if InDesign had a Roman punctuation (hanging punctuation) option similar to Illustrator, where it was set with a toggle. The optical alignment in Story is useful; however, the Illustrator implementation of hanging punctuation is useful in many situations, too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This issue was present in an earlier version of InDesign. Please confirm if you are facing this bug with InDesign version 14.0.2

If you face the issue with the latest version then please share a sample document at amaarora@adobe.com with which we can reproduce the issue in-house.

Thanks,
    Aman

16. Text Wrap on image container is applied to image bounds

When applying text wrap to an image container, indesign (v14.0.1 macOS) now applies the text wrap to the image inside the container - rather frustrating if you are cropping in on part of an image with the image from.

Steps to Reproduce - Place image inside container frame making sure that the image is scaled larger than the frame (cropped by frame). Place image container over text and apply text wrap.

Expected Result - text wrap applied to container should be based on container dimensions.

Actual result - text wrap applied to image inside the container making the text wrap…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Creating New Hyperlink - doesn’t copy the full selected URL

InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

I discovered this lately due to client complaining about URLs not working after export to PDF.

As per my video, I select the full URL in the text box, select New Hyperlink, and the field doesn’t populate with full URL.
    After some testing, the cut off point seems to be random and don’t happen specifically at hyphens or periods.

Whether the URL flows to multiple lines or is on the same line, I get the same result.

What is causing this? This is a big issue since I work on documents that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Oswald Book Font Installed on Windows but doesn't work in InDesign

I am using InDesign CC 14.0 for Windows 7 and I am having trouble with a font called Oswald. I have 3 fonts from the family Oswald installed on my computer (book, light, and bold). However, Oswald Book does not work in InDesign. It works in Illustrator and Microsoft Word so it appears to be an InDesign issue rather than a font installation issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Converting footnotes to endnotes ignores some endnote-settings

Indesign CC 2019 (oct)

When converting footnotes to endnotes the endnotes-settings for creating them at the end of story or in a place gun are ignored. Endnotes from converted footnotes are always placed in a new frame at the end of document.

Expected behaviour: Converted footnotes should appear in the place gun if the endnote-setting says so.

(Sidenote/Opinion: letting indesign insert a single page seems like a workaround - as this might reflow a large document and also totally jumble up the page composition. I know that ID has become way more clever in dealing with odd/even switching of pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. What about screenplay? Will InCopy replace Story?

Hello everyone.

I know that Story will be discontinued, and I noticed that the InCopy just came to play.

I was happy to have a screen writing software that I have already paid for, even though I am an adobe client for it's video editing softwares.
    If InCopy is capable to assist me on writing, I will not need to spend more money on writing

What I need from InCopy is what I had on story regarding to format, I mean: Scene Header, Action, Character, Parenthesis and Dialog... I just hit one key and I can swap between what I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base