Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Locked objects get selected

Not sure why adobe changed the lock of an item. It used to work perfect to lock my background objects. Now, it I have background objects; they still get selected even if they are locked; it's such a huge inconvenience and waste of time to sort selected objects. Please fix or put back the lock object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Open Asset Plugin window keeps opening up even though I keep shutting it. It continuously interrupts my flow.

The Open Asset plugin for Indesign continuously pops up. I don't use it. I don't want to use it. I want it to stop popping up and interrupting my workflow. If I close the window, it should stay CLOSED.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Clicking on image doesn't show it in the Links panel

Clicking on an image within a frame doesn't show it in the Links panel, so I have to scroll through the list of links to find the image - This sometimes works, sometimes does not.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Crop to settings not changing from Bounding Box

While placing an image, after choosing Show Import Options, I try to select something other than Bounding Box in the Crop to settings and it won't let me change how it is inserted. I have tried this with both PDFs and AI files, and it is a problem for my coworkers as well who are using 2018. After restarting InDesign, I didn't have the problem anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. links panel problems

So many problems with Links Panel after recent update:

1) Right click on PSD asset, EDIT ORIGINAL now doesn't work - "No editor associated with this link"
    2) Right click on AI asset > Edit with Photoshop, opens in Illustrator

Win10 / Ryzen 7 / 32BG RAM / NVMe + SSD Drives

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [Copyright-Notice] Automatic Caption for images

When creation an automatic caption for images it is possible to chose the option "Copyright" but this actually referts to the IPTC - Core "Source" (Quelle) and not the "Copyright - Notice" which is used by Adobe Stock.

So it is not possible to automaticly use the Adobe Stock Copyright notice because InDesign seems to read the wrong MetaData field.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group

Hi. I think I might have found a bug.

Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group.
    (It works if 'Search' is set to Document.)

1.png
    Shows a test. I want to change the Yellow to Red.

2.png
    Shows the top group colour not changing if 'Search | Section' is chosen

3.png
    Shows both colours changing to Red if 'Search | Document' is chosen

Can this be fixed please, or an option to Change Items in a group f it was a 'Feature'.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Go back on roll over" interactive button state checked/greyed out

I was working on an interactive project and found that the "go back on roll over" option becomes turned on and greyed out so you cannot un-check the box when adding an "upon release" action to a button. I initially could NOT figure out why this was happening, and it was totally screwing up my on-click actions in my project.

Eventually, I think I figured out that it seems to happen when you create a button, add an "on roll over" action and check the box "go back on roll off", then create ANOTHER action (like "on click"), and then…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. updating links

When updating links in InDesign CC 14.0 (an InDesign file linked to 4 instances) the update comes in too large for the frame. So you have to Fit Content Proportionally. This happens with PSD and AI files as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. export jpg

Hi!
    Found major of bugs in the new upgrade of Creative Suite. This is one.
    When I create a document with a background image and duplicate the background and mirror it to fill the complete background. A thin line will appear when I export it to JPG but not PDF.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

16. illustrator pattern

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    Illustrator 22.1 Mac
    InDesign 13.1 Mac

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
    i. Create a pattern fill in Illustrator with some part of the pattern using an overprinting fill or stroke in the Attributes panel.
    ii. Place the Illustrator file in InDesign.
    iii. The file does not preview unless Overprint Preview or Separation Preview is on.

3. Expected result
    The file previews normally and objects below can be seen through transparent parts of the graphic.

4. Actual result
    The graphic does not preview. Objects above (yes, above) the graphic are hidden…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. adobe stock pricing

When licensing an Adobe Stock library image from within Indesign I am charged $9.99 but if I but the image on the adobestock.com site it is $2.99. This is recent and is highly annoying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. placed indesign shows all layers in file

It will show all the layers in the placed InDesign file despite the fact on import the option to use document layers visibility is selected. You have to manually select which layers you want visible on import.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base