Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

238 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. Rounded corners aren't perfectly rounded

Why aren't rounded corners perfectly rounded? I created a 100x100px square, rounded the corners to 50px which should give me a perfect circle except it doesn't.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download the build (14.0.3.422) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

3. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
    MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while, We have concluded our investigation into the issue and below is our finding.

This issue is due to the use of a specific version of Extensis Universal Type client: version 6.1.6.
    The issue is reproducible only with Id 2018 as Extensis UTC 6.1.6 is not compatible with Id 2019.

Please note:
    If you are using Extensis UTC 6.1.6 with InDesign 2018 please use any other version of Extensis UTC which is compatible with Id 2018 to avoid this issue.

Or you can upgrade to Id 2019 and used compatible version of Extensis UTC.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. Identical shapes on different layers end up different sizes when scaled together using the selection tool

1) This bug occurred on InDesign cc2017 and CS6. 2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug: create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle red, and the bottom blue. At this point, the bottom blue circle is completely hidden by the red circle above it. Now put a 4pt stroke with an outside alignment on the bottom blue circle. The blue circle is still hidden, and…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
    2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
    3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Object Style Size and Frame Fitting bug

Where is what I did:
    Create an Object style that has the size height and width set (I used 4x3in) AND the Frame Fitting Options set (I tried Fill Frame Proportionally with and without Auto-Fit). Import some photos. I did 4 at once and click-&-dragged them at different sizes. Frame size is correct, but frame fitting is ignored. It has to be applied manually after placement.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign not preserving local image placement, rotations, dimensions etc. when relinking after Photoshop edit thru links panel

Yes, preference is set to "preserve image dimensions when relinking". Version 13.0.1 for Mac.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Inconsistent Text Wrap across two column layout

Text wrap is applied inconsistently from column to column, i.e. text will offset by uneven amounts in adjacent columns. This happens for all types of Text Wrap except for the Jump Wrap, which does not misalign the top two lines of text!
    The only fix I could manage was to Force All Lines to the Baseline Grid, and redraw the bottom Text Wrap line unevenly for the two columns. The images attached show first the problem and second the fix.
    I believe this started happening with the introduction of CC versions, but I'm not 100% sure of that timing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Photo in frame showing outside of stroke

Buggy thin line (part of the photo inside frame) is visible If frame have stroke aligned inside of the frame. See the screenshot and photo of issue. Photo present proof from printed after RIP in printing house.
    Problem is known from 2009 and still exist!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Image tagged with sRGB, but InDesign assigns AdobeRGB (Workspace) and displays incorrect colors

I´m using Indesign 13.0.1 x64

To recreate please use the following steps (I have AdobeRGB as Working-space and preserve profiles):
    1. Create a new document
    2. Place the attached Image "Portrait_Edip-original.jpg"
    3. Look for the Profile in the links-panel

The image has sRGB but displays as Workspace RGB but my workspace is AdobeRGB and also the colors are incorrect.
    Bridge and Photoshop both show the right profile.
    When i open the image in Photoshop and save it as jpeg it works in InDesign.

I have this issue from time to time but now i´m sure it´s a bug.

I work…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. Locked objects get selected

Not sure why adobe changed the lock of an item. It used to work perfect to lock my background objects. Now, it I have background objects; they still get selected even if they are locked; it's such a huge inconvenience and waste of time to sort selected objects. Please fix or put back the lock object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base