Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

May 16, 1028

I am using macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4 which I updated a few days ago.

I was/am using the InDesign CC 2018 version 13.1.

I got/am still getting the same error, after uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign.

1. New document in inDesign CC 2018.
    2. Letter size w/bleeding edges.
    3. Selected the document.
    4. Did a CMD+D and selected my .psd file, which was created on April 26, 2018.

Result: Error
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested information.

Thank you in advance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InCopy assignment names don't change with file name

Backstory:
    We have particularly formatted files that we use to create new versions for new products. The copy isn't created new, but modified from the old version that was already used in InCopy.

The Issue:
    My InCopy guy FREAKS OUT when he sees the name of the assignment assets (attached screenshot) are that of a previous project not at all related to the file he's currently working on.

The Long and Complicated Solutions:
    I know there's a way in InCopy to rename these, but it's long, complicated and outside of a standard workflow. A shorter and easier method would be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Placing illustrator files is very very very slow after update

After updating AI and INDD, placing AI files into INDD is taking a very long time. I made an update to an AI file that was placed into an existing INDD files that contains 13 placed AI files. I only updated a few of the linked AI files. Prior to the AI and INDD update, updating these placed links took a few seconds each max. Now, just to update the two links takes about 2 minutes.

This MAY be an AI bug, but I don't know how make that determination as I updated bothat the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Issue with images not showing when searching in InDesign

High Sierra InDesign 13.1 NAS File Server

When trying to search my artwork folder (called Color Art) for items containign the word "steak" on my NAS to place an image in InDesign it comes up as if it was empty. If I then leave InDesign and do a search the "steak" images appear. Not having this search function has been crippling to my dept. eating up all sorts of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. drag in picture size and Frame Fitting bug

when I drag in a photo into indesign, I normally can resize the frame to adjust the size of it by dragging the frame box. But at the newest indesign 13.0.1 , this option wont 100% fit in the frame box. whatever frame I tried to make, the photo just won't fit 100%. High Sirra system

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. glitchy grey squares and triangles popping up under images when placed, they also sometimes pop up under the cursor.

I keep getting grey squares and triangles pop under the cursor or under images when I place them on my document and Its very distracting. Im not sure if its anything to do with the new update?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Update images

⌘-u should invoke the "Update Links" command in this dialogue. ⌘-d should invoke "Don't update".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Preferences Color

Color settings and profile preferences were not kept during the last update. This could have been a very expensive problem. My workspaces were kept, so it seems like a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cannot turn auto-fit to default

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.0 for macOS (10.13.1). It seems that the auto-fit is default turned off right now. I changed the setting in Objet-Fitting-Framing Fitting Options and checked the box of Auto-fit with no documents open.

However, I am still unable to set auto fit into default.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. eps file importing as a text file

CC 2018 is importing (placing) some of my eps graphic files as text files. See attached PDF file of sudoku image.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Minor Illustrator file changes not detected

InDesign does not recognize that an placed AI file has changed -- if the change is minor, for instance shifting graphics on the artboard. If Illustrator artwork is moved relative to the artboard, then just saved (command S), the file does not show as modified in the Links panel. In order for InDesign to see it as modified, the Illustrator file must be Saved As and overwritten. This is an ongoing problem for at least the last three iterations of InDesign, but specs are:
    InDesign CC 2017 13.0
    Illustrator CC 2017 22.0.0
    OSX 10.13

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Object Layer Options not working using Photoshop files

I've placed the same layered photoshop files into ID three times to show how an animation works. Going to 'Object Layer Options' and clicking 'Keep Visibility Layer Overrides' is meant to keep your selected layers visible, even if the Photoshop is resaved. This no longer works. Once the link updates, all three update to look the same and forget which layers i've told it to show. Why?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG Make "Fit Frame to Content" finally work with rotated/skewd content

1. Version: CS4 and above
    2. Steps: Just rotate/skew a picture within its box and use "FitFrameToContent" and watch the *content* gets cropped!
    3. Expected Result: The picture frame gets fit…
    4. Actual result: The content gets cropped.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Placed rotated PDF - incorrect view in InDesign 2020

Has anyone noticed the following erroneous representation (high-resolution rendering) of placed PDF when rotated (e.g., 90º)?

Concerns x4 as well as x1a.

Regards,
    Joerg

InDesign 2020 v15.0.0.155
    macOS Mojave 14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. thumbnails of links not available in Indesign 2020

when i'm placing images (psd files) in indesign, there are no thumbnails of the links.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Textumfluss bei Version 5.0

funktioniert nicht richtig. Man muss immer auf Rahmeneinpassung klicken, damit die Änderungen gemacht werden = sehr mühsam

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Content Collector Linked Images Not Updating

InDesign Version: 14.0.3
    Folder: Our folders are saved on Dropbox using desktop app
    Who has the problem: My whole team at work.

My team runs static banner ads in automotive. The auto brands have event logos each month. We have several vehicles in running. Each file contains one vehicle and five different ad sizes. To update the logos faster we have them linked to a single InDesign file. That way we only have to relink the logo images in the one file. On original setup the links naturally are direct links, but since we archive each month…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Embedding links won’t work, if you do not inbed each links manually

If you choose multiple pictures in your links-panel and click “embedding all instances”, it does show the “embedded in document”-icon, but this is a false information. It only works, if you embed every image individually after selecting one by one image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Cannot use restrain option or opt/command/shift to make duplicates?

Something I have been frustrated with since CS 2019 was introduced is starting to really annoy me now. I have not been able to find how to fix the problems but basically ....
    If I draw a rule using the Line tool using 'shift' to restrain the rule to horizontal or vertical does not work, it just floats about at any angle you can think of - I just want to draw a perfect horizontal rule without having to go and edit the position markers!
    Then there's the restrain option to enlarge or reduce shapes/images etc - it no longer…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base