Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Renaming hyperlinks shared destinations: broken links in exported PDF

Hello,

I encounter a serious issue with InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) when renaming hyperlinks shared destinations (linking pages in the same document):

Those links seem still working in InDesign when clicking a page icon in the Hyperlinks panel (it leads to the proper destination page)
    They don't work anymore after the PDF export in Acrobat (the links are clickable but they lead nowhere)
    I had to re-create all the shared destination links in the document, which is a huge waste of time at least and makes the feature very unreliable.

I made 2 tests files, here's the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lugt070lkyzvnwr/AABIqY90wl4A0ujhD66K6nFaa?dl=0

Test…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CC2020 Unreliable PDF export

The content of some pages disappears when exporting in pdf.
    In the attached screenshot: on the left the indesign file and on the right the exported file. We can see that the double page should not be white.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. export folder

Just installed InDesign CC 2020 and I cannot export to the recent folders. The same folder appears no matter which recent place I choose. I don't even remember saving anything to the folder that shows up.

See what is happening here. Any help would be great so I don't have to navigate through a million folders to save and export my work.

https://www.loom.com/share/773d77ea449444de884f606f75f1e741

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Background Tasks panel

I'm not trying to post an idea or add something.
    I merely want the Background Tasks panel to actually be useful!

When a file fails to export... no reason is given! Just that it failed. WTH? How can that in any way be deemed to be a "reason" or much less... useful in finding the issue and fixing it?

A fail reason... bad font, corrupt file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2019 Begins failing to export PDFs after short period of operating

InDesign 2019 | Mac OS Mojave

After a short period of time InDesign Fails anytime I try to export a PDF. I get the Error notification and just a Failed to export message. Restarting InDesign does not fix this, however if I restart my entire machine (enormous, frustrating pain in my workflow) it resume saving PDFs for a short period of time and them begin failing again until the next restart.

No other Software is having this issue, Adobe or otherwise.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019

2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.

3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without having the need…
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data Merge - Can't preview without errors

The apparently long-running Data Merge previewing error!
    Occasionally previewing a data merge will permanently ruin exports. The only solution is to create a new document. Happened to me on almost every project I tried - wasted hours and hours.
    See this thread and video for more information:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10337647#10337647

(Also colons in csv titles makes file unusable??)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Indesign will not tag endnotes to XML

When Adding untagged items to the Structure, Indesign promptly states that Endnotes are not supported for XML tagging. I use XML tagging process for creating reliable Accessible WCAG compliant PDFs, and other export requirements. Please make Endnotes USEFUL - 1. keep in same story (not an additional frame) and make tagging process available.
    OR... a way to convert endnotes to linked cross references - even in tables!
    Tables if Indesign worst thought when it comes to footnotes and endnotes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.

Expected result: A Text with the applied effect

Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

11. indesign export

I export a pdf and then decide I want to make a tweak. So I tweak the indesign file, re-export my pdf, and then the pdf doesn't update the preview! I have to re-export TWICE in order for the pdf to be updated. Anybody else having this problem?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Which version of InDesign are you using?
    2. On which OS are you seeing this issue? Win or Mac?
    3. This issue is reproducible with each and every file or with some specific files?

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Variable font: Italic character wrongly displayed when exported to PDF format from InDesign.

I'm reporting this bug on behalf of the type design studio Dalton Maag. To reproduce: use the provided test font, write the lowercase letter "p" in Indesign, and choose the "Hair Italic" instance, or equivalently, set:
    - the font's weight axis to the minimum,
    - the width to its default value
    - the italic axis to its maximum.

Glyphs are shown without fault within InDesign itself. However, when exported to PDF format and opened on Acrobat Reader, there is an issue with how the letter “p” is displayed (see aktiv_vf_p_bug.png).

We are suspecting the issue is caused by a point…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign 2019/2020, PDF export deletes components of some composite CJK glyphs when they overlap

Install the test font in the attached zip and open the the InDesign document. Exporting to PDF clears out the top part. This did not happen in 2018.

I initially reported this to Josh Hadley on 23 Jan 2020, who wrote up an internal report and came back to me, saying the InDesign team could reproduce and suggested working around the issue by decomposing everything or diverting the export through PostScript/Distiller. A very large client told us that this is not an option for them and would like a direct fix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Exporting a PDF from Indesign is creating Form Xobject containers for everything.

This is happening to me now and is messing everything up for 508 accessibility remediation. Copied this from another user. "The latest version of InDesign exports PDF's in which most all the tagged content is in an Xobject container, making accessibility remediation MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. This is a huge step backwards. Attached are two examples, from the same client, annual reports- last year's was fine, this year's has all the xobject issues. Please advise, help, fix, something!!!"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Indesign link

ndesign links all look fine in links folder. None missing. Next day when I open the file I get this message when exporting to PDF. Have to relink when already linked. Or if that doesnt work. Resave photoshop file and then appears perfect in indesign

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign 2020 not tagging lists properly on export to Interactive PDF

If a paragraph style is used to define a tag for export to PDF, all numbered and bulleted lists used with that style inherit the same tag, rather than the list tag <L>, <LI>, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot export a PDF to tmp folder

When I try and export a PDF to the /tmp folder I get the error "Failed to Export the PDF File" with no other information whatsoever.

Exporting to the desktop worked fine with no issues.

It does not appear to be file-dependant as I even tried creating a brand new document with a single line of text and exported using one of the presets.

ID: InDesign 15.0 & 14.0.3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can't export page range as pdf

I'm unable to export a page range from InDesign as a PDF as I have done for decades. I get two options when I choose "range," "All" and "Letter V."

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. export

My inDesign file won't export to PDF. it says it has an error but no exact details.
    Also when I want to make a package it stops while exporting

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base