Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

483 results found

1. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PDF export name

Since the latest updated InDesign doesn't remember the the export name, it just reverts back to the indd's file name. It was super useful when using version numbers.

For example, when exporting from "file.indd" a "file-print (5).pdf", it remembered that name. Now it just goes back to "file.pdf" each time.

Using 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. PDF-export: Small images (icons) seem corrupt on right side when compression is on

Indesign: 14.0.2. x64
    Acrobat: 2019.010.20100

Win 10 pro x64, 1809 up to date

So small images look strange and you can see they appear corrupt on the right side. In the last 15 years I have never experienced an issue like this so I would like to know if this is an ordinary behaviour which I ran into by chance or bad luck.

The used image is a scaled down image of a rather small photoshop-file.

At first I thought my guides might cut the images, but they don´t. I worked on the .PSD file, I increased the size of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Slow performance with DFS Namespace

I'm having problem with Indesign and file and folder on a DFS Namespace, Export takes lot of time while locally no problem. I've tried disabling background export, same problem.

I'm in version Indesign 2019 14.0.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign Export PDF - Misisng font style (i.e., italic, bold, tiny text changed)

Dear InDesign Folks,

We've found some font style attribute changed in PDF file, another one issue is Ligature text missed out at PDF file.

Application: InDesign CC 2015.0 Version 11.0.
    Windows: 7 & 10 Pro

Steps & Process:
    1. We are generating 2 set of PDF with different Job-options.

1. PAP Layer enabled PDF (i.e., particular layer enabled and creating the PDF, it's contains Images and Text like water mark).

2. PRINT Layer disabled PDF (i.e., disabled the layer which we enabled in step 2).

3. Using JavaScript generating 2 sets of PDF at a time.

4. PRINT, disabled layer and generating PDF with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign Export PDF - Misisng font style (i.e., italic, bold, tiny text changed)

Dear InDesign Folks,

We've found some font style attribute changed in PDF file, another one issue is Ligature text missed out at PDF file.

Application: InDesign CC 2015.0 Version 11.0.
    Windows: 7 & 10 Pro

Steps & Process:
    1. We are generating 2 set of PDF with different Job-options.

1. PAP Layer enabled PDF (i.e., particular layer enabled and creating the PDF, it's contains Images and Text like water mark).

2. PRINT Layer disabled PDF (i.e., disabled the layer which we enabled in step 2).

3. Using JavaScript generating 2 sets of PDF at a time.

4. PRINT, disabled layer and generating PDF with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. pdf

Since the last update Indesign export to pdf in all resolutions don't compact the files down. They are huge. Everything up to the last update pdfs even if high resolution would size way down. Now it is almost like it doesn't do anything. Need this fixed. It is almost like the coders for Illustrator went over to Indesign to put in their bad pdf export routine. Illustrator has never compacted pdfs well ever!. I demand that the pdf export get fixed pronto and put back the way it was. Sending pdfs by email is now useless. I shouldn't have to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. fi creates embedded subset

When I use the two letters "fi" in that order, when I export PDF, I get embedded subsets. This is on multiple fonts.
    if I switch the case of f"I" to fI upper case (EYE), then the embedded subset issue goes away. (the case of the first letter "f" does not matter.
    example so words:
    first
    fit
    profit
    indentifies

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Export PDF causes unresponsiveness when clicking "same as Document Name" box and changing the filename manually

InDesign freezes and becomes unresponsive when...

Using the latest version of InDesign 14.0.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.3 and exporting a press ready PDF (setting modified to include bleed and crop marks), checking "Using InDesign Document Name as the Output Filename" and then adding some text or changing the filename manually in the save dialog, InDesign freezes afterwards. The PDF is exported successfully, but the program locks up.

When not checking the box and exporting a PDF there are no problems.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The most unhelpful error mistake ever made - 1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:

What I should do with this error? When I save each page separately the pdf export works fine)

Please give more specific error warnings! Thanks

1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Images with transperencies and placed in formular fields are separeted wrong when exported as PDF.

PNGs and PSDs with transparency and directly imported in an InDesign formular field are separeted wrong when exported as a PDF and separeted to cmyk. The images are too dark with a green tone.

This happens in the last InDesign versions til the last CC2019 (14.01).
    Mac OS 10.14.3 and also in El Capitan

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. PDF export - massive file size difference between 143 and 144 dpi

I've been exporting a couple of display stand artwork pieces from inDesign cc19. My background flattened jpeg in the inDesign document is 200dp and the rest is a few vector objectsi. I export using the PDFX1a:2001 spec as this is what the printer requested. By default the file size for 1.07GB, which is huge. I adjusted the downsampling on export and found that setting it 143dpi produces a 15.3MB PDF, yet changing it 144dpi makes the file hundreds of MBs. So 1 dpi changes drastically how big the PDF output file size is. Why is this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. PDF Export Formatting Issue

I found that no matter what export options I use or how I format my file, it exports incorrectly. My content is in 2 columns on InDesign but when exported it seems pretty random how the PDF is structured (see the image).

This poses a problem for parsing software to be able to read the document in the correct order. It's common practice within most companies to use this for resumes. I'm sure it's also used elsewhere as well.

I've contacted support and they tried to resolve the issue by using my computer remotely. They found that this feature is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Cannot export pdf from Adobe InDesign. Latest version. Latest Mac OS. Hasn't worked since September 2018.

I am beyond frustrated with Adobe. I cannot export a pdf from Adobe InDesign either conventionally nor when publishing online. I am running the Latest version. Latest Mac OS. Exporting hasn't worked since September 2018. This is debilitating to my business. I need a solution and not a workaround, please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In exported PDF, Hyperlinks jump to wrong page when their Text Anchor destination has moved to a different page due to reflow

Hi

In my InDesign file I have a Contents page with 10 hyperlinks to the first page of my 10 chapters. I created Text Anchor Hyperlink destinations on all 10 target pages, and then created Hyperlinks to them from the Contents page.

The document is 180 pages long and uses a Primary Text Frame, and all the text anchors are contained within the main text flow.

In 9 of these cases, clicking the hyperlinks in the exported PDF jumps to the correct page, but in one of them, clicking jumps to the NEXT page following the text anchor.

However, if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Using text variables causes highlighting text in PDF to be inconsistent/scrumbled

When exporting to PDF from a file including text variables, it results in text in pdf that it is impossible to highlight correctly. and therefore - it is impossible to mark PDF comments on it. Screenshot and PDF files are attached.
    It only happened with ARIAL font, and only in certain book files (that were created in previous ID version). I couldn't recreate the bug in another file.
    When I removed the text variables the PDF was exported fine.
    I also had another kind of conditional text I made in these files - it was a sentence written inside the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base