Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indesign Beach Balling on Mac

We have a 2017 iMac that is running High Sierra 10.13.6 with InDesign 14.0.1 and with working on a US Letter sized document with a text box with a single line of type, and one placed image, we get beach balling.

First open the document, can do anything we want (from typing new text or moving the picture box on the page, to even selecting a menu item) for about 30 seconds to a minute. After that, the beach balling starts. Then it seems to freeze for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then we can do ONE thing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. new features popup cannot be disabled

The New Features popup dialog boxes are ******* annoying as **** and cannot be turned off. They can in photoshop with the "enable rich ********" but cannot in InDesign. Can you fix this ******* pain **********? No one wants this ****.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Can't hide "Search Adobe Stock" in File Menu

Via Edit -> Menus, you can't hide the Search Adobe Stock entry from your File menu. Attached is a screenshot with _everything_ hidden via Edit -> Menus, and Adobe Stock remains.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. user preferences not holding

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 - being used in a Virtual Machine (VM) - VMware Horizon Client.

User preferences are not holding when I switch them to what I like. Yes I quite the application after setting them and then sometimes they will be the same but then sometimes when I open ID they revert back to the default settings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The search panel in the place dialog box does not show indesign files (Mac issue)

This is similar to the previous bug reported here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31917874-search-field-does-not-work-in-open-dialogue-box

However, the issue affects the place dialog box instead.

Read the original post here to determine the steps to replicate the fault: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2583379

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. InDesign 14.01 does not respond to COMMAND+O to open a file on first starting the app.

InDesign 14.01 (OS 10.13.6) does not respond to COMMAND+O to open a file on first starting the app. After using menu to open a file, then InDesign seems to work properly and recognizes COMMAND+O to display Open Dialog until next re-start of app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. There isn't vertical justification in the control panel

There isn't vertical justification in the control panel, and I've no idea how to fix that...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. menu

Working with InDesign CC19 (14.0.1) on 2 monitor Mac OS 10.13.6 and I'm having issues where menu selections open wrong panels. It's very strange...the only way to avoid is restarting the program. Example: when I choose File>File info I get the Print Dialogue panel. The exact same thing happens when I select File>Package. On top of this transforms stop working intermittently (horizontal or vertical flip) whether using the control panel or through menu bar. Last week's maintenance upgrade didn't help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PDF Comments panel doesn't fill full height of panel

The actual content inside the PDF Comments panel does not fill the full available height of the panel. Leaves an awkward wasted empty space at the bottom of it. Screenshot attached.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Wrong font preview for RTL languages

There is a problem with the new fonts preview in version 14.0 of InDesign.
    The 'Selected Text' preview is shown backwards (LTR instead of RTL).
    This happens in spite of the fact that the text box is marked as a 'Hebrew' one.
    I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Background Tasks Palette too wide

The Background Tasks Palette is too wide compared to other palettes in the UI (MacOS).
    I dock several palettes together to save real estate on my monitor. When I focus on most palettes, the width is 240 pixels, but the Background Tasks palette can't be made narrower than 400 pixels – a 66% increase! If there was a reason to have this palette be so wide I'd understand the limitation, but most of the relevant information in that palette would easily fit within the 240 width.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. After pressing "Cancel" in "Relink..." dialog, the item is no longer selected in the Links panel

1. InDesign 13.1 x64, WIndows 10
    2. Select an image on the page, and it is highlighted in the links panel. Press "Relink...". Press "Cancel".
    3. The link should be highlighted in the links palette so I could press "Relink..." again immediately
    4. The frame is still selected but the image is no longer highlighted in the Links panel. You have to deselect the frame and re-select it (or manually click the link in the panel) to highlight it again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adobe Indesign Ruler - Corrupt Display

Adobe Indesign Ruler - Corrupt Display.
    When opening a document and mousing thru the document the display of the ruler starts to add "marks" in the measurements.
    We have been able to reproduce this in versions 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    We have gone and used the rename "enUS" method and it only works temporarily.
    The issue is sporadic and can happen on new documents or old.
    Also sporadic through out the versions as well - same document can happen on one version and not another version.
    All application updates have been applied as well as Mac OS updates for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Recent Files thumbails don't match corresponding documents

When choosing an ID document to open from the "recent files" screen, the wrong file opens; i.e., the document that opens does not match the document that I clicked on. Or, sometimes I get an error claiming that the document cannot be found, but the file is indeed right where I left it. This does not happen every time...sometimes the right document does open from the recent files screen, but not usually. This has only been happening to me only for the past week or two. I have not moved my files, changed folder names, replaced hard drives, or any…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Character, paragraph menus too long and getting longer on every open

The Character and Paragraph menus, anchored to the right side of my InCopy, pop out with extra empty space to the right of the menu options. And the extra space has grown each time I've opened InCopy on a fresh open. So when I just opened it today, the character menu is beyond the left edge of InCopy and beyond the left side of my laptop screen even. Paragraph styles menu, in the same grouping of menus, is fine, because it has a corner I can grab to resize it. And they also are still too wide when I un-anchor…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. XMP

In InDesign CC, I can not open the information tab anymore (mac)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Docked palettes are collapsed when InDesign opens

This is a problem that occurs randomly and has been happening (I think) ever since I upgraded to CC. I open up InDesign and all my palettes docked at the right of the screen are "rolled up" and I have to expand them myself. I have tried deleting preferences, deleting caches and then re-creating the palette configuration from scratch and saving it as a new workspace. This lasted for a few days and now it's back to opening like this again. I expanded them all by resetting the workspace, quit InDesign, opened it again and they were collapsed.

Strangely, you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hand Tool/Help Menu Shortcuts Mixed Up

In their default states, the Hand Tool and Help menu options are bound to H and F1 respectively, but pressing H during normal use of the program consistently uses Help instead of the Hand tool.

Removing the F1 shortcut from the Help menu fixes this issue. I've experienced it in other areas, and I assume this solution will work for those as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Start Page is Blank on 30" Monitor

On my 30" Monitor, the ID start page is blank. When I make my workspace smaller, say closer to 27", the start page appears, showing me recent files, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base